PDA

View Full Version : Road signs or Road repairs

sheilapl
25-May-13, 09:01
I think the Council are as bad as the government when making decisions, I don't disagree with the Gaelic but when I see what the spent on putting up signs when the roads would be more of a priority. I begin to wonder.
In yesterdays John O Goroat journal there was this report

" GAELIC road signs are confusing and could pose an accident risk for visitors and tourists, according to a report from transport research company TRL.
Half of the tourists questioned could not find what they were looking for on bilingual signs; 40 per cent said bilingual signs distracted them; and 20 per cent said they had taken a wrong turn or even had to stop to be able to read the Gaelic and English signs."

DunnetKnowe
25-May-13, 09:22
And 100% of drivers in Wick ignore all road signs anyway and do as they please.

orkneycadian
25-May-13, 09:43
Maybe its something we'll all have to get used to. If Eck and Nic manage to swing a Yes vote next year, I imagine it would be rather galling for them if the official language of the new independant Scotland was English, given to us by the English and even named after them. Maybe English will be abolished and it will have to be the Gaelic all the way thereafter.

youoldduffer
25-May-13, 19:07
And 100% of drivers in Wick ignore all road signs anyway and do as they please.

True and some are too busy using their rear view mirror to check their hair is ok, like the girl i was behind from the parish church to tesco's lol

jacko
25-May-13, 19:11
True and some are too busy using their rear view mirror to check their hair is ok, like the girl i was behind from the parish church to tesco's lol

c.mon now what s your gripe man.. it s a well known fact that women can multitask. :lol:

ducati
25-May-13, 20:01
Yeh makeup shaver coffee :eek:

sids
25-May-13, 20:10

Was she on a pushbike? I'm bad for following them too.

sheilapl
26-May-13, 08:59
Maybe its something we'll all have to get used to. If Eck and Nic manage to swing a Yes vote next year, I imagine it would be rather galling for them if the official language of the new independant Scotland was English, given to us by the English and even named after them. Maybe English will be abolished and it will have to be the Gaelic all the way thereafter.

maybe England should have a few more, there as there are a varied lot of folk Moslem, Chinese, Arab where do you stop. I don't see signs down there for all the different folks that pass by. My gripe is that we the Scots should spend our money a bit wiser, I am sure I am not the first person to drive over a rough bit of road and give a few swear words. Then think what are they doing that they cant put a bit of tar in that hole rather than erect some sign that can cause an accident. ggrrrrr rant over

squidge
26-May-13, 09:14
Maybe its something we'll all have to get used to. If Eck and Nic manage to swing a Yes vote next year, I imagine it would be rather galling for them if the official language of the new independant Scotland was English, given to us by the English and even named after them. Maybe English will be abolished and it will have to be the Gaelic all the way thereafter.As neither of them are fluent in Gaelic I would be surprised. The first minister was criticised on Twitter last week for saying "wisnae" so maybe we will see Scots as the main language .... I would like that lol

DunnetKnowe
26-May-13, 09:17
maybe England should have a few more, there as there are a varied lot of folk Moslem, Chinese, Arab where do you stop.

Maybe you should dampen yourself down with your copy of the Daily Mail before making the usual assumption that the country is over-run by Johnny Foreigner.....Here's the ONS / NRS census results for 2011.....

England & Wales:
85.15% of population: White
5.87% of population: Asian or Asian British
2.82% of population: Black of Black British
0.82% of population: Chinese

Scotland:
97.99% of population: White
1.09% of population: Asian
0.32% of population: Chinese
0.16% of population: Black

macadamia
26-May-13, 09:19
I can see sales of Stanley Baxter's "Parliamo Glasgow" going through the roof!

sids
26-May-13, 10:10
Misquoting DunnetKnowe

Scotland:
0.00% of population: can read Gaelic road signs but cannot read English

orkneycadian
26-May-13, 10:39
So if the Yes vote does go through, we'll be a Scottish nation using the English language, English money and still hoping we'll have the benefit of English (well, Welsh and Northern Irish too....) nationalised institutions.

Its a bit watery.

sids
26-May-13, 10:48
So if the Yes vote does go through, we'll be a Scottish nation using the English language, English money and still hoping we'll have the benefit of English (well, Welsh and Northern Irish too....) nationalised institutions.

Its a bit watery.

Wait til they start making up Gaelic names for places in Orkney!

bluemafia
26-May-13, 12:04
Aaand yes, Here we go, off on a completely different subject to what was started. Typical orgers!!! :roll:

sids
26-May-13, 12:22
Aaand yes, Here we go, off on a completely different subject to what was started. Typical orgers!!! :roll:

Why are you doing it then?

bluemafia
26-May-13, 18:25
Because it is only done by people who can't have a normal dabate!