PDA

View Full Version : haggis

skydivvy
01-Mar-05, 18:05
Does any one know how to hand rear a haggis? I was given one by a friend and was told they can make exelent pets if treated the right way. I know very little about them except that the adults fly backwards over the moors to keep the wind out of their eyes and have the legs on the right side of their bodies shorter than those on the left, so the can remain upright while running round the hills. the one I have is rather small and sausage shaped - in fact i'm having difficulty in deciding which end is up. I hope to keep it untill it is big enough to eat on Burns day next year, but by then I think maybe the kids will have grown so attached to it that we may have to keep it. Does anyone know how long they live? this one only eats oatmeal and liver, but he is growing already.

katarina
01-Mar-05, 18:12
What breed is it? They all have different requirements.

Rheghead
02-Mar-05, 00:18
I think it's inhumane that the Burns supper has led to the horrific industry of battery fed haggis. I prefer mine to be free-range.

Anne_Mas
02-Mar-05, 00:45
does anyone have a picture of a haggis? don't know what it is... [para]

Naefearjustbeer
02-Mar-05, 00:49
does anyone have a picture of a haggis? don't know what it is... [para]

try here for an idea what they are like

http://haggishunt.scotsman.com/

or here for more information

http://www.dunedinhighlandgames.com/haggis_hunt.htm

Anne_Mas
02-Mar-05, 00:50
thank u :D

Anne_Mas
02-Mar-05, 01:18
You got me fooled :D

katarina
02-Mar-05, 09:40
I think hunting haggis should be banned - I mean why ban fox hunting, and continue to slaughter the haggis just so a few drunken scotsmen can recite poetry and stab it with a knife on Burns night!

skydivvy
02-Mar-05, 12:59
To say nothing of the fear the poor creatures must experience at the skirlin' o' the pipes, and all these hairy bummed nickerless, skirt -wearing highlanders bearing down on it!
Checked the web site. I am surprised. I always thought A haggis was a breed of bird!

ŠAmethyst
02-Mar-05, 15:30
I think hunting haggis should be banned - I mean why ban fox hunting, and continue to slaughter the haggis just so a few drunken scotsmen can recite poetry and stab it with a knife on Burns night!

Do we eat foxes? Well, I certainly haven't... but we do eat haggis! Yummy!

Free-range all the way!