PDA

View Full Version : Specials

philupmaboug
01-Mar-05, 16:19
I have read a great number of threads concerning the behaviour of different members of society on this forum, a number of critical remarks aimed at the law and the police and thier lack of motivation and all the suggestions made to improve how it can be done.
Why dont all the concerned citizens on the forum volunteer to join the special police and do thier bit to make Caithness a safer place??? or just keep posting and moaning.

smee
01-Mar-05, 16:21
I agree, where do you sign up?

Dons_Lad
01-Mar-05, 16:22
Yeah, I agree as well. It would be pretty good to sign up as well! Smee is the man! Good thread philip!

katarina
01-Mar-05, 16:30
Me too. Who's going to get it started?

Drutt
01-Mar-05, 16:31
http://www.northernconstabularycareers.co.uk/content/special_constables/introduction.php

brandy
01-Mar-05, 16:49
have actually looked into it but unfourtunatly as im not a UK cit.. i cant.. but it really is a good idea for those of you that can!!!!!

katarina
01-Mar-05, 17:56
I looked too, but I'm too old!!!!!

EDDIE
01-Mar-05, 20:05
I have read a great number of threads concerning the behaviour of different members of society on this forum, a number of critical remarks aimed at the law and the police and thier lack of motivation and all the suggestions made to improve how it can be done.
Why dont all the concerned citizens on the forum volunteer to join the special police and do thier bit to make Caithness a safer place??? or just keep posting and moaning.

But thats the whole idea of a message board for people to bring up topics to talk about so other people can express there views, give advice or have a good moan about the subject thats why were here.And further more you need people to critisize law and not just the police but any organisation if that person isnt happy with the service that they are giving it keeps them on there toes.
And personally i dont have a problem with the way the police operate but the punishments for the crimes committed are very 1900 styles we live in the year 2005 the laws and punishments need to be all reviewed and brought up to date after all whats a £50 fine nowadays you cant even go for a night out in the town with that

©Amethyst
01-Mar-05, 20:15
Yes, but eddie, we've all heard people moaning about the police a thousand times before. There comes a point where it just draws things out over and over again, and I guess that's the point where something needs to be done about it.

I've got my forms (had them a while now) for special constable, but I'm not physically fit enough. Ah well, will get down the gym one of these days!

philupmaboug
01-Mar-05, 20:52
Your right Eddie, I was making a point as to the time is fast approaching when we will have to stand and be counted.
"The law is an ass" I think it was Katrina that said it in a post...Yes it is, but it is only as good as the evidence it has. No witness , no crime, no conviction or they plee down and the PF goes for the quicker option to save the taxpayers money.Tick tock tick tock.

katarina
01-Mar-05, 21:49
In defence of the police, they really can do nothing without hard evidence. And they are understaffed. It's up to joe Public to report any suspicious behaviour. Crime only flourishes where a society allows it. I am not avocating vigilanties, simply gather ing evidence and passing it on.
The next problem is the lenient sentences passed. After all the detective work,. it must be soul destroying when the criminal gets a slap on the wrist.
Drug dealers get off because they maintain the drugs found in their possession is for personal use - for any sake, if the drug is illegal, what difference does it make?

daviddd
02-Mar-05, 00:08
A big problem is the culture whereby many folk will not tell on others, so it is hard for the police without witnesses. The wrong-doers depend on this for their survival.

katarina
02-Mar-05, 10:10
can you just apply to join the specials? Is it paid or voluntary? If paid surely a person will only get in if there is a vacancy?
Perhaps neighbourhood watch would be a better idea.

squidge
02-Mar-05, 12:09
In view of my comments an another thread i am sooo pleased to see people talking about trying to make a difference

Gladdens my heart :D

Riffman
02-Mar-05, 13:45
Special police...... I'm going to join SO19 then.....you get a nice new Glock 17 (railed frame) and permission to shoot terrorists!!

©Amethyst
02-Mar-05, 15:33
can you just apply to join the specials? Is it paid or voluntary? If paid surely a person will only get in if there is a vacancy?
Perhaps neighbourhood watch would be a better idea.

It's voluntary, but very rewarding (and looks impressive on ANY CV)

To apply you just contact the Human Resources department at Police HQ in Inverness and they'll send you a form.

Doolally
02-Mar-05, 19:12
Just a thought but I wonder how there are no neighbourhood watch schemes in place in Caithness.

Who would police these schemes and give guidance? Is it the Police themselves?

How would we get a scheme like this off the ground in Caithness? Any ideas?

skydivvy
02-Mar-05, 21:58
maybe we should ask the police.

Drutt
02-Mar-05, 23:19
Advice about setting up a neighbourhood watch scheme -

http://www.crimereduction.gov.uk/neighbourhoodwatch/nwatch02.htm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/ican/A1183222

squidge
03-Mar-05, 00:23
i was in a neighbourhood watch scheme where i used to live. It was quite effective at a number of things reducing car crime was one and also brough pressure to bear on the council to do some work on the roads to prevent them being used as a rat run.

Was worth it

Lucy
03-Mar-05, 01:04
Anything we can do to drive down the crime rates can only be a good thing. Neighbourhood watch has been proven to reduce crimes in other areas and i for one will be seriously thinking about this. In the short term why not set up web cameras, cctv or even keep small single use cameras handy around the house and if you see anything just photograph it and send it in to the police. I'm sure they will be glad of any help we can give them. :roll:

00Smee
03-Mar-05, 10:42
Precisely but we need people to come forward and give evidence on crimes etc, but people are too scared to do this due to the ramifications from certain people. I don't know if CCTV would be a lot of use but it's worth a shot. Wherever you go though a crimes getting committed, the police have zero tolerance on underage drinking yet every week I see people out and in places I go who are under 18, some even only 16! It does sound like a good idea Philip, kudos to you for making the first step towards forming a superior group!

Smee2
03-Mar-05, 11:14
Would using all these hidden cameras not be an infringment on Human Rights and we know how the Europeans like their Human Rights upheld.

Riffman
03-Mar-05, 12:54
Why would they be hidden cameras? If I bolted a CCTV Camera to my house I would expect it would have the right affect on the yobs...

katarina
03-Mar-05, 13:18
Why would they be hidden cameras? If I bolted a CCTV Camera to my house I would expect it would have the right affect on the yobs...

only you wouldn't be able to use any footage as evidence if any area of the footpath was visible. you see, it could be constued as an infringement of the yob's civil rights.

Riffman
03-Mar-05, 13:51
Forgot to mention the armed guards and dobormans as well.....

smee
03-Mar-05, 14:36
Think the niebourhood watch is a great idea as everyone can get involved whether they are young or old fit or not so. We should ask Councilor Fernie to set up a meeting for differing areas. All for 1 and 1 for all.