PDA

View Full Version : Baillie Windfarm

mi16
20-May-13, 17:05
I remember sometime ago the discussion about when the windfarm will begin feeding the grid.
There is around 80% of the turbines turning now on a daily basis but I have not seen the big press release hoo ha, that was talked of earlier.
I assume they are now generating electric, there is certianly electrical noise coming from them.

mi16
28-May-13, 12:59
All spinning this morning, yet no song and dance

dozy
28-May-13, 13:18
Its nice to see that these Turbines generate over £400,000 each per year .Nice if you can get it ,thats why the Pottingers are after Spittal . Just lay back and let all that Taxpayers money roll in .

mi16
28-May-13, 13:30
As much as I am against the Turbines, you cannot knock the Pottingers.
They are setting thier families up forever on the back of it.

dozy
28-May-13, 14:11
We complain about others abusing the system and ripping of the taxpaper . We have put disabled folk in dire straights ,but the folk with the most get the most Those farmer who already get handouts, now we are shovelling more taxpayers money their way. This type of industrail money spinner should stand on it own merits,with NO handouts NO roc's and NO slice of the electricity bills we all have to pay.
The Highland Council were given the choice back in 2001 at a meeting in Inverness .Caithness should have a Community Trust set up which should grant areas in which Turbines would be allowed and all the monies would be used of the Community good. There was a Government scheme that would allow the Trust to have its own turbines . The Council said NO ,they had done a deal that would allow developers to use Caithness if they kept clear of Inverness. Caithness must have more Turbines than Trees,its a total disgrace. Those schemes with 20 turbines rake in over £6.4 million pa. and the community gets £100,000. if lucky. The Highland Council would have been better off if they had cashed in their TESCO's shares and put up 40 turbines .

DunnetKnowe
28-May-13, 14:19
As much as I am against the Turbines, you cannot knock the Pottingers.
They are setting thier families up forever on the back of it.

You are normally first to decry those who sit back and receive handouts from the taxpayer.

And yet you also seem to have support for sports clubs with an ethos of "We're Against Tax Payments".

You're a box of contradictions and inconsistencies. More maturity in your positioning would help.

mi16
28-May-13, 15:06
You are normally first to decry those who sit back and receive handouts from the taxpayer.

And yet you also seem to have support for sports clubs with an ethos of "We're Against Tax Payments".

You're a box of contradictions and inconsistencies. More maturity in your positioning would help.

Putting millions of pounds into a project to supply the UK Electrical distribution network is hardly sitting back and taking handouts, if someone has the guts to put their own financial neck on the line to deliver a project then I have no issue with the backer. I do have an issue with the Scottish Executive wo push through such projects against the wishes of the local planning department.

What sports club do I have support for that has a "Were against tax payments" ethos?

Rheghead
28-May-13, 17:37
No abuse of the system has occurred and no taxpayers money is invilved via the ROC system. It is time that we got our facts right I think. If anything, the fact that opposition groups took the the decision through 2 inquiries has cost us money on a local level, shame on them

mi16
28-May-13, 17:41
No abuse of the system has occurred and no taxpayers money is invilved via the ROC system. It is time that we got our facts right I think. If anything, the fact that opposition groups took the the decision through 2 inquiries has cost us money on a local level, shame on themThat is not fair either, anyone has the right to object.There is no shame in that.

Rheghead
28-May-13, 17:49
That is not fair either, anyone has the right to object.There is no shame in that.

There is nothing fair about making false assertions, representations and exagerating the negative aspects of wind power

mi16
28-May-13, 17:51
There is nothing fair about making false assertions, representations and exagerating the negative aspects of wind powerLike I say we all have a right to object wether the objection is just or not.The developer appealed after the planning panel rejected the development.

Rheghead
28-May-13, 18:08
Like I say we all have a right to object wether the objection is just or not.The developer appealed after the planning panel rejected the development.

Yes and it got passed through no bother when each point of contention was challenged. You don't seem to understand that we aren't dealing with a local group of residents who may or may not have genuine concerns over developments. I have not one objection to that right to objection but we are dealing with a highly motivated vocal local group (a core of about a dozen at best) who are not interested in facts but false representations in order to stall any wind farm in the county. They are ideologically motivated mostly. They are linked with national and international groups who have the same malicious intentions. Some of the main antaganists are just out for money and fame, that is their main incentive. They'll stop at nothing just to stop wind farms.

They ignore any scientific issues surrounding global warming, in fact they deny it is even happening, they exaggerate all aspects concerning shadow, flicker, noise, birds etc etc, yet they ignore any expert opinion unless they get the answer they want. They are a joke. For example, according to them we now have head teachers crawling on hands and knees in 100mph winds!! For goodness sake! :roll:

mi16
28-May-13, 18:25
Yes and it got passed through no bother when each point of contention was challenged. You don't seem to understand that we aren't dealing with a local group of residents who may or may not have genuine concerns over developments. I have not one objection to that right to objection but we are dealing with a highly motivated vocal local group (a core of about a dozen at best) who are not interested in facts but false representations in order to stall any wind farm in the county. They are ideologically motivated mostly. They are linked with national and international groups who have the same malicious intentions. Some of the main antaganists are just out for money and fame, that is their main incentive. They'll stop at nothing just to stop wind farms.

They ignore any scientific issues surrounding global warming, in fact they deny it is even happening, they exaggerate all aspects concerning shadow, flicker, noise, birds etc etc, yet they ignore any expert opinion unless they get the answer they want. They are a joke. For example, according to them we now have head teachers crawling on hands and knees in 100mph winds!! For goodness sake! :roll:

Nevertheless they have the right to object as do any other.

Rheghead
28-May-13, 18:38
Nevertheless they have the right to object as do any other.

Yes they do.....but it is an obvious misuse of the system which wastes public money by dragging up the same old debunked false assertions and representations. They'll hijack local groups and take over and make it a circus, so much so now that the Government reporters are becoming all to familiar with who they are and how they operate, consequently, they do not give due gravitas to their contribution to inquiries etc. One reporter openly scoffed at the ludicrous assertions and scraping of the barrel objections of one objector, even I felt sorry for the genuine objectors and I was in favor of the wind farm! They are a joke which could jeopardize the intentions of the original local group. I'm beginning to see it happen with Limekiln wind farm. I hope when time comes to shove that it will be just the concerned residents of Reay who make representations at the wind farm.

mi16
28-May-13, 18:43
Yes they do.....but it is an obvious misuse of the system which wastes public money by dragging up the same old debunked false assertions and representations. They'll hijack local groups and take over and make it a circus, so much so now that the Government reporters are becoming all to familiar with who they are and how they operate, consequently, they do not give due gravitas to their contribution to inquiries etc. One reporter openly scoffed at the ludicrous assertions and scraping of the barrel objections of one objector, even I felt sorry for the genuine objectors and I was in favor of the wind farm! They are a joke which could jeopardize the intentions of the original local group. I'm beginning to see it happen with Limekiln wind farm. I hope when time comes to shove that it will be just the concerned residents of Reay who make representations at the wind farm.

Yes you make a fair point there Rheg I guess if there are disproved arguments being trotted out time and time again it will take the impact away from genuine complaints, to be honest I don’t se the issue with Limekiln it looks far less intrusive than Baillie.

I always thought that the best way for anti windfarm campaigns would have been for all anti windfarm minded people in the county to unite and fight it as a group, instead it is all very disjointed with only the small number of immediately affected locals trying to fight each development individually, and hence basically urinating in the wind against the financial muscle of the developer.
At the end of the day though we have signed up to make renewable targets so by hook or by crook we will take a disproportionate number of developments as we are not so densely populated as other regions of the UK.

ywindythesecond
28-May-13, 21:53
No abuse of the system has occurred and no taxpayers money is invilved via the ROC system. It is time that we got our facts right I think. If anything, the fact that opposition groups took the the decision through 2 inquiries has cost us money on a local level, shame on them

Three public inquiries. Stroupster, Baillie and Spittal. All opposed by the Elected Members, Baillie and Spittal contrary to the officials recommendations. Dunbeath PLI was sparked by SNH opposition as Highland Council voted not to oppose it.
You are surely not suggesting that the anti-wind lobby has Highland Council in its pocket?

ywindythesecond
28-May-13, 22:02

Getting a bit fanciful now Reggy!

According to Highland Council Risk Assessments, head teachers have to manually shut down school wind turbines when 100 mph winds are forecast. They don't need to take any action until 80mph winds are recorded on their hand-held anemometers. How do you think they will approach the turbines in an eighty mile an hour wind which is Force 14, Hurricane force on the Beaufort scale.

The report Reggy mis-refers to and all the supporting documents can be found here.
http://www.caithnesswindfarms.co.uk/#Headlines

ywindythesecond
28-May-13, 22:08
All spinning this morning, yet no song and dance

I have been told by someone who spoke to the site personnel that the works are still at the mechanical commissioning stage, which makes sense- make sure they turn properly before you try to make electricity. In any case, most big projects are up and running for some time before an official opening. Kessock bridge was open for around 6 months before it was officially opened by the Queen. It was shut for a day so she could open it.

Kenn
29-May-13, 00:41
Errr 'scuse me Rheghead I have never objected to wind farms only where they are located on environmental and aesthetic grounds so please don't tar us all with the same brush.

neilsermk1
29-May-13, 12:34
Rheg, you seem to have all the facts about windfarm developments, can you tell me who picks up the decommissioning costs at the windfarms end of life?
Also you might have an opinion on, why is it not a good idea to site a nuclear power reactor in Caithness due to electrical power transmission losses, yet the same transmission lines take wind generated electricity to where the power is needed.

mi16
29-May-13, 12:57
Rheg, you seem to have all the facts about windfarm developments, can you tell me who picks up the decommissioning costs at the windfarms end of life?
Also you might have an opinion on, why is it not a good idea to site a nuclear power reactor in Caithness due to electrical power transmission losses, yet the same transmission lines take wind generated electricity to where the power is needed.

Eck did not want a nuclear reactor in Scotland.

Will they be decommissioned, likely turned off and locked stopped.

Rheghead
29-May-13, 16:19
Getting a bit fanciful now Reggy!

According to Highland Council Risk Assessments, head teachers have to manually shut down school wind turbines when 100 mph winds are forecast. They don't need to take any action until 80mph winds are recorded on their hand-held anemometers. How do you think they will approach the turbines in an eighty mile an hour wind which is Force 14, Hurricane force on the Beaufort scale.

The report Reggy mis-refers to and all the supporting documents can be found here.

I'm not exaggerating.

you were quoted in the Groat "They haven’t carried out a competent risk assessment as one of the measures they’ve introduced is for head teachers to go out in an 80mph gale and turn off the turbine," he said.

"They would have to revert to crawling on their hands and knees to get to it at those speeds.

Rheghead
29-May-13, 16:32

I think you are scaremongering and you are using children as bait just to push your agenda. Shame on you. The key point is that you'll continue to call any expert as incompetent until you get the outcome that you want.

ywindythesecond
29-May-13, 17:47
I'm not exaggerating.

you were quoted in the Groat "They haven’t carried out a competent risk assessment as one of the measures they’ve introduced is for head teachers to go out in an 80mph gale and turn off the turbine," he said.

"They would have to revert to crawling on their hands and knees to get to it at those speeds.

All absolutely true Reggy. But what you were getting fanciful about was this:

"we are dealing with a highly motivated vocal local group (a core of about a dozen at best) who are not interested in facts but false representations in order to stall any wind farm in the county. They are ideologically motivated mostly. They are linked with national and international groups who have the same malicious intentions. Some of the main antaganists are just out for money and fame, that is their main incentive. They'll stop at nothing just to stop wind farms."

ywindythesecond
29-May-13, 17:53
I think you are scaremongering and you are using children as bait just to push your agenda. Shame on you. The key point is that you'll continue to call any expert as incompetent until you get the outcome that you want.

Have you read it? All of it, including the correspondence and supporting documents? Or have you just come to your conclusion because of your pathological hatred of me and anything I do?

Rheghead
29-May-13, 17:57
All absolutely true Reggy. But what you were getting fanciful about was this:

"we are dealing with a highly motivated vocal local group (a core of about a dozen at best) who are not interested in facts but false representations in order to stall any wind farm in the county. They are ideologically motivated mostly. They are linked with national and international groups who have the same malicious intentions. Some of the main antaganists are just out for money and fame, that is their main incentive. They'll stop at nothing just to stop wind farms."

Dunno what you mean ywindy, lets go over it again shall we? You are ideologically opposed to wind turbines, you are out for fame and money, you are highly motivated, you aren't interested in facts, you are linked to national and international antiwind groups, you will stop at nothing just to stop wind farms.

Rheghead
29-May-13, 18:05
Have you read it? All of it, including the correspondence and supporting documents? Or have you just come to your conclusion because of your pathological hatred of me and anything I do?

Pathological hatred of you? Get over yourself, will you. If anything, I feel sorry for you that you don't use your energy and spare time with something more constructive and positive. There are lots of other more worthwhile causes that could use a person with your singular determination.

mi16
29-May-13, 18:12
chaps, take it elsewhere, its getting pretty boring now.

ywindythesecond
29-May-13, 18:41
Dunno what you mean ywindy, lets go over it again shall we? You are ideologically opposed to wind turbines, you are out for fame and money, you are highly motivated, you aren't interested in facts, you are linked to national and international antiwind groups, you will stop at nothing just to stop wind farms.

"You are ideologically opposed to wind turbines"

Wrong
My opposition comes from long and careful study of the motivation for windfarm development, and its effects on people, the economy, the environment and the visual trashing of our lovely country. And its futility as a reliable source of electricity.

"you are out for fame and money"

Wrong
I have had my 15 minutes of fame from "Analysis of UK Wind etc" and from that I have become known to journalists etc, and am often quoted in the papers. If I told them nonsense they would soon stop asking me things. See motivation. As for money, those who oppose wind development have no money, those who develop it do and it is our money they do it with.

" you are highly motivated"

True
This country is in such a mess with its energy policy and its rush to ruin through it, that I and many others across the land can't stay silent. Some day, people will wake up to the con that has been perpretated on them. And they will be very unhappy.

"you aren't interested in facts"

Wrong
I am only interested in facts. That is fact facts, not the gospel according to St Reggy.

"you are linked to national and international antiwind groups"

True
It is a global problem.

"you will stop at nothing just to stop wind farms"

Wrong
And probably libelous. You are treading a fine line Reggy. I stop at lawbreaking and bad manners.

ywindythesecond
29-May-13, 18:44
chaps, take it elsewhere, its getting pretty boring now.

Sorry mi16, but if Reggy keeps repeating things someone might believe him. Just like the wind industry and Fergus Ewing. Over and out now.

Rheghead
29-May-13, 18:53
"You are ideologically opposed to wind turbines"

Wrong
My opposition comes from long and careful study of the motivation for windfarm development, and its effects on people, the economy, the environment and the visual trashing of our lovely country. And its futility as a reliable source of electricity. (Wrong, you've been given the facts that wind farms will save millions of tonnes of CO2 and it beneficial effects on the economyand the environment but you refuse to acknowledge them.

"you are out for fame and money"

Wrong
I have had my 15 minutes of fame from "Analysis of UK Wind etc" and from that I have become known to journalists etc, and am often quoted in the papers. If I told them nonsense they would soon stop asking me things. See motivation. As for money, those who oppose wind development have no money, those who develop it do and it is our money they do it with.
(Wrong, you love getting your name in the paper, I've never read an article where it said just a CWIF spokes person etc. You have made a business out of preparing photomontages for local opposition groups and you are constantly on the hunt for funds to allow you to go on jollies across the country to speak at inquiries.)

" you are highly motivated"

True
This country is in such a mess with its energy policy and its rush to ruin through it, that I and many others across the land can't stay silent. Some day, people will wake up to the con that has been perpretated on them. And they will be very unhappy. ((Wrong, you are motivated for the above reasons))

"you aren't interested in facts"

Wrong
I am only interested in facts. That is fact facts, not the gospel according to St Reggy. (Wrong, you have been given the facts but you deliberately twist them for your own agenda, fail that you make up your own.)

"you are linked to national and international antiwind groups"

True
It is a global problem. (True You and your clime denying compadres are a global problem)

"you will stop at nothing just to stop wind farms"

Wrong
And probably libelous. You are treading a fine line Reggy. I stop at lawbreaking and bad manners.(I'm glad to hear it, but you are on record as saying that you are only interested in stopping wind farms)

See my notes above. End of.

Rheghead
29-May-13, 19:00
Errr 'scuse me Rheghead I have never objected to wind farms only where they are located on environmental and aesthetic grounds so please don't tar us all with the same brush.

I'm not Lizz tarring you up with the same brush, if you read carefully, you will see that I don't have a problem with local residents objecting due to their genuine concerns with the aesthetic issues or environmental problems eg noise, birds etc.

Green_not_greed
29-May-13, 23:01
I'm not Lizz tarring you up with the same brush, if you read carefully, you will see that I don't have a problem with local residents objecting due to their genuine concerns with the aesthetic issues or environmental problems eg noise, birds etc.

Glad to hear it as I am very much in the same boat as Lizz, concerned with the effects on local residents.

What I do find very objectionable in this thread is that its been hijacked (as usual) by one or more individuals who have their own agenda on windfarms and just have to hijack anything on the subject to satisfy their own ends.

What has been forgotten is that this windfarm has been agreed by a political system which ignores residential views, to be situated slam bang in the middle of a residential area of the rural community, within 450m of the nearest property. There are 50-60 properties within the 2km "exclusion zone" recommended by Scottish Government. The people living within those properties may have their lives turned upside down by the windfarm. Given some news reports, possibly into a living hell due to constant noise and shadow flicker. Highland Council have confirmed that they have already received complaints about both the noise and the shadow flicker from the windfarm. And at present its only being commissioned. PLEASE have some sympathy and support for those who now have to live beside this development and are most likely unable to move as they now can't sell their properties.

Tubthumper
29-May-13, 23:17
Oh god, here we go again. There's a dirty great nuclear site less than 2 miles away from Baillie. Before the turbines went up it was possible to hear the general industrial noise when the wind was from the NW. Tonight I believe it was possible to clearly hear the site alarm. And the turbines are not that noisy. Now stop with all the silly stirring. Are all 60 households in the area suffering? And stop trying to drive house prices down for your own sorry ends.

Green_not_greed
29-May-13, 23:31
Oh god, here we go again. There's a dirty great nuclear site less than 2 miles away from Baillie. Before the turbines went up it was possible to hear the general industrial noise when the wind was from the NW. Tonight I believe it was possible to clearly hear the site alarm. And the turbines are not that noisy. Now stop with all the silly stirring. Are all 60 households in the area suffering? And stop trying to drive house prices down for your own sorry ends.

Yup, I heard the new alarms being tested quite clearly. That only lasted a few hours. The turbines have a 25 year life. And I never mentioned house prices, just the difficulty in selling something beside an operating windfarm. Your statement "the turbines are not that noisy" means you can at least hear them. I have no idea where in Shebster you live but made it clear in my post that SOME will suffer yet others may not. Some folks are already finding it difficult to sleep at night. While you may not be in that group, all I was requesting was some respect to those who are in that position through no fault of their own. They are in that position through the SNP's blinkered energy policy, the greed of the wind industry, and their supporters.

Kenn
29-May-13, 23:42
Thanks Rheghead we have to agree to disagree but that's what democracy is all about!

ywindythesecond
30-May-13, 02:38
"You have made a business out of preparing photomontages for local opposition groups and you are constantly on the hunt for funds to allow you to go on jollies across the country to speak at inquiries.)"
Sorry m116
I can't ignore this.

Reggy. Prove this or be prepared to go to law. Admin, remove the post or be prepared to to be held responsible for it.

neilsermk1
30-May-13, 12:33
Eck did not want a nuclear reactor in Scotland.

Will they be decommissioned, likely turned off and locked stopped.
My question was who pays for it?

macadamia
30-May-13, 12:42
We pay for it. We pay for all the politicians and their impetuous changes of direction, their vanity projects, their desire to make a mark, their inability to let well alone, their basic stupidity and lack of empathy with their electorate.

UK politicians - and I suspect, politicians in most countries - are now enjoying a prolonged summer holiday. We should be grateful for this intermission from their cupidity, greed, self-serving and monstrous behaviour for these few weeks while the country carries on much more pleasantly without them.

Tubthumper
30-May-13, 13:26
The owner will pay for decommissioning. It won't take much, just the reverse of assembly followed by digging out the founds and removing the tracks. Shouldn't cost a lot in the greater scheme of things.
While we''re on the subject, who's paying for the decommissioning of Baillie's near neigbours at Dounreay and Vulcan?

mi16
30-May-13, 13:28
My question was who pays for it?

The cost of opening a breaker and applying the brake will be negligable.

Tubthumper
30-May-13, 16:47
Sorry m116. I can't ignore this.Reggy. Prove this or be prepared to go to law. Admin, remove the post or be prepared to to be held responsible for it. Hahaha. That's a good one!

orkneycadian
30-May-13, 17:36

Is that the same kind of breaker that ywindy, the energy expert forgot to open before starting some electrical work? [lol]

Rheghead
30-May-13, 18:06
"You have made a business out of preparing photomontages for local opposition groups and you are constantly on the hunt for funds to allow you to go on jollies across the country to speak at inquiries.)"
Sorry m116
I can't ignore this.

Reggy. Prove this or be prepared to go to law. Admin, remove the post or be prepared to to be held responsible for it.

Oooh!! You're such a teaser sometimes!

Which bit do I need to prove? You prepare photomontages for local opposition groups? You are constantly on the hunt for funds? Or you speak at inquiries?

Tubthumper
30-May-13, 21:34
I think that might have been a 2.30am, end of second bottle of nice red, 'Oh god what did I write' job that one...

Rheghead
30-May-13, 22:41
I think that might have been a 2.30am, end of second bottle of nice red, 'Oh god what did I write' job that one...

It does seem to be the case.

Kenn
30-May-13, 23:51
Now, now children put the toys back in the pram.

Tubthumper
31-May-13, 06:46
We've all done it. The perils of being passionate with plonk present.

neilsermk1
31-May-13, 12:23
So are they just going to let them fall down at end of life and be absorbed back into the earth?

Tubthumper
31-May-13, 12:32
So are they just going to let them fall down at end of life and be absorbed back into the earth? I can't see that happening. Why would these turbines be any different to any other industrial installation? And anyway, they'll have a significant end-of-life value.

Green_not_greed
31-May-13, 19:38
So are they just going to let them fall down at end of life and be absorbed back into the earth?

Are you talking about the turbines or the protagonists ? After 2 bottles one could already have fallen down !

secrets in symmetry
31-May-13, 23:22
Sorry m116
I can't ignore this.

Reggy. Prove this or be prepared to go to law. Admin, remove the post or be prepared to to be held responsible for it.Lol lol lol!

If I were forum admin I would considering banning the schoolboy for threatening behaviour.