PDA

View Full Version : Fish.....

Orger
21-Jan-07, 20:29
Does anyone know any good places that i can purchase Fish...?
I am putting them in a Farly bit tank, with heater and pump.

Any help would be great..!

Royster1911
21-Jan-07, 20:36
Pets at Home for the tropical variety.
Fish shop for the eating variety:lol:

Orger
21-Jan-07, 20:39
Maximum of 3 is all your a loud at Pets At Home.. Thats what i heard anyway,,

Royster1911
21-Jan-07, 20:55
Maximum of 3 is all your a loud at Pets At Home.. Thats what i heard anyway,,
If that is so, then Bob Millers normally has a fair selection. No restriction on quantity that I know of.

neepnipper
21-Jan-07, 22:58
If it's a new tropical tank Pets at Home recommend you leave the tank set up with water for 10 - 14 days then take in a water sample and we will test it free of charge for you, if it's ok we advise you to just add 2 - 3 fish at first leave it a week then add 2 - 3 more and build it up that way, this saves your ammonia levels going sky high thus killing your fish, you need to build up the good bacteria in the tank and to do this you need to add the fish just a few at a time. The maximum amount of fish we will sell at once to someone is 6 for the same reasons.

We will be happy to help and advise you if you want to come in and have a chat.

watman
22-Jan-07, 00:10
I bought 5 new tropical fish from Thurso pet shop last year and within a month all of them were dead and my original Fish from wick Henrietta st shop are still going strong

millavilla
22-Jan-07, 00:51
I have always bought my fish from the henrietta street pet shop and have all been healthy they are now all over 6 years old i also found the staff have always been nice and helpful.

paddy
22-Jan-07, 01:36
everything is half price in henrietta street pet shop at the moment i got lots of bargains on saturday.

Kristafur
22-Jan-07, 01:49
black stairs fish shop ~~ Mmm.

bobsgirl
22-Jan-07, 10:37
I always go to the Pet Shop in Henrietta Street. The people in there know everything and if you are unsure they will help you out. Never had any problems with them. My whole family go through to there from Thurso as we have had some bad experiences with the fish from Millers Pet Shop. Maybe he was going through a bad stage but his fish were dying too fast.

Hope you find the right place! But Pets 'n' Pieces is the best!

hotrod4
22-Jan-07, 12:46
I have purchased from both in Wick but feel that the Fish from Henrietta street will live longer as Pets at home use so Many treatments in their fish to avoid stress when they are transported that when you get them they are so used to the treatments that it makes their immune system weak.
It may be along the same lines as humans, i.e you can only have anti biotics for so long then it can have the opposite effect.
Thats not to say they wont last a long time that is just my experience and opinion and after all we all have a choice of where to shop.
Good luck with the fish!!!
Personally i have 3 Danios,1 Red tail shark,2 Bleeding hearts,5 Canadian minnows and an algae eater.
I would recommend an algae eater to help you keep the tank clean, they may be ugly but they do a great job!!!!!!!

elamanya
22-Jan-07, 12:57
i bought a dozen different types of pond fish from the henrietta pet shop over 4 years ago and to this day i have only lost one it just vanished so could have been cats or gulls even... the rest have grown to all sorts of sizes and never have a pond heater on in the winter at all and the filter is turned off from november to early march , always found them very helpfull, indeed when four of the fish came home on special order we were away that weekend so the owner actually put the bag in the pond in the morning for us and popped back in a few times thru the day to let more water into the bag before letting them out into the pond last thing at night . a very good service i must say ...

Dr Evil
22-Jan-07, 17:51
yep i thnk that kristafur has the right idea here and that the blackstairs is probably yhte best place to get you fish from lol :)