View Full Version : Man remanded pending report

17-May-13, 07:04
Hidden knife wasn't used to harm anyone court hears
A WICK man found to have a knife while being treated in hospital, had no intention of harming anyone, the town’s sheriff court heard yesterday.
Craig McBeath had been admitted to Caithness General Hospital after using the five-inch blade to inflict a deep wound on himself, following a St Valentine’s Day celebration with his partner.
Police went to the accused's home in Wick, after receiving a call about his self-harming and discovered that he had gone out.
They found blood in the front lobby and traced the 27-year-old in Harbour Terrace, Wick, shortly before 9.40am.
McBeath was taken to the hospital where he received treatment for a deep cut in his left arm from which he appeared to have lost “a lot of blood” said David Barclay, prosecuting.
The senior fiscal depute told the court that McBeath had been the subject of a “cursory” but negative search in Harbour Terrace, but a further search was carried out, in the hospital.
Mr Barclay said: “During it, the kitchen knife dropped onto the floor from the inside of the accused’s trouser leg.”
McBeath, described as a prisoner at Inverness prison, reappeared from custody yesterday after previously being remanded when he admitted on indictment, possession of the broad-bladed knife and breaching a curfew condition.
Solicitor Haseeba Tariq said that the couple had been out celebrating on the day in question and consumed more drink on their return home. It was the first time McBeath had had “a proper drink”, since the birth of their son two years previously.
Ms Tariq stressed that there was no question of the accused using the knife on anybody other than himself and he was “remorseful” about his actions.
McBeath appreciated the potential sentence his behaviour was likely to attract, but appealed to Sheriff Andrew Berry for a non-custodial disposal. The accused had been on remand for three months and was trying to address some mental health issues. Although he had a record, his last sheriff court conviction was in 2009. Alcohol had been a factor in his criminal behaviour.
Sheriff Berry, who saw a background report, was advised that the accused was due to undergo a psychological assessment soon, remanded the accused until May 30 for the outcome of the examination.
The sheriff noted the significant difference between the knife having been used on McBeath himself, as opposed to anyone else. The blade was ordered to be forfeit.