PDA

View Full Version : pc or non-pc

Angela
20-Jan-07, 16:46
Seems to me that political correctness has gone mad, and replaced common sense & common courtesy. No, no, not in the forum, but the world at large...!

The thing that still annoys me the most is calling a person chairing a meeting a "Chair". :confused

A person just isn't a chair -that's a piece of furniture! What was wrong with Chairman & Chairwoman? (I can see that if you call a Manager a Manageress it's different, as if a Manager should really be a man!)

Anybody out there with pet hates like mine?

j4bberw0ck
20-Jan-07, 17:08
Please see attached 94-page pamphlet! :lol:

Anything to do with replacement of the word "black" because it might offend or is deemed to have negative associations; "Baa, baa, black sheep", "blacklist", "blackboard" and so on are examples.......

fred
20-Jan-07, 17:14
Seems to me that political correctness has gone mad, and replaced common sense & common courtesy. No, no, not in the forum, but the world at large...!

The thing that still annoys me the most is calling a person chairing a meeting a "Chair". :confused

Don't be confused Angela people in authority were refered to as the "Chair" long before "Chairman" came into use. Judges, Bishops, Professors as well as someone presiding at a meeting were all known as the "The Chair" and anyone talking to them would be "Addressing the Chair".

Angela
20-Jan-07, 17:27
I never knew that, I can understand why it might have come about, but it still sounds very odd to me when someone is referred to as "Chair of...." :confused

Come on though Fred, there must be something in this pc world of ours that gets your goat?

fred
20-Jan-07, 18:11
Come on though Fred, there must be something in this pc world of ours that gets your goat?

I don't know...I'll ask my goat in the morning while I'm milking her.

goldenguernsey
20-Jan-07, 19:25
Do you really have a goat?

Victoria
20-Jan-07, 19:33
I used to have a goat!!

fred
20-Jan-07, 19:47
Do you really have a goat?

Well they sort of hang around the place and let me take milk if I give them some corn.

They haven't quite grasped the concept of ownership yet, tried explaining it to them but it fell on deaf ears, they just sort of look at each other with that "humour him" look on their faces.

Angela
20-Jan-07, 22:12
Apologies to your goat - I should of course have referred to her as your "agile cud-chewing mammal with hollow horns", she might think "goat" was being offensive :confused

sweetpea
21-Jan-07, 01:24
the one that gets me is that your not supposed to say 'Brainstorming' just 'concept showering' or similar. What's that all about?

Bobinovich
21-Jan-07, 01:40
Ah, that's to appease those without a brain - don't want to make them feel inferior, eh! :D

sweetpea
21-Jan-07, 01:59
Ah, that's to appease those without a brain - don't want to make them feel inferior, eh! :D
ah but if you didn't have a brain how would you know?

JAWS
21-Jan-07, 02:16
It's about a lot of people who are paid far too much to spend a tremendous amount of time with absolutely nothing worthwhile to occupy their minds.
The first problem they have to solve is to find a suitably ‘important’ title to give themselves so as to appear ‘morally and intellectually superior’ and ‘more knowledgeable’ than lesser mortals.

Their actions are called, "Trying to justify getting your pay at the end of the month!" otherwise known as, "What can we pretend to be doing today so we can appear to have been busy!"

They generally start out by trying to convince everybody that 'paper-cuts' are a serious Health and Safety issue and carrying a sheet of A4 for more than 10 seconds is likely to cause severe muscle strain for which they should get huge amounts of compensation for such terrible Industrial Injuries.

They have all the solutions and are desperately searching for an imaginary problem to apply them too!
They believe that their view of the world is the only one which is correct and that others must be forced to accept that view.
If only people weren't so stupid they would see their vision and follow them to the Utopia only they are able to envision. :roll:

fred
21-Jan-07, 10:52
Apologies to your goat - I should of course have referred to her as your "agile cud-chewing mammal with hollow horns", she might think "goat" was being offensive :confused

Never apologise to a goat, they see it as a sign of weakness.

Angela
21-Jan-07, 12:44
[quote=JAWS;183603]The first problem they have to solve is to find a suitably ‘important’ title to give themselves so as to appear ‘morally and intellectually superior’ and ‘more knowledgeable’ than lesser mortals.

I sometimes watch The Weakest Link -not a huge Ann Robinson fan -but I have to agree with her when you hear some of the job titles people come up with...I'm a dah-de-dah-operative/consultant/coordinator/enabler....and she says, ah you mean you're a ....?

and the person says, well, yes, Ann, I work in a warehouse....

and she asks, what do you despatch from your warehouse?

and you get another spiel about dealing in non-food products, which enable the retail sector to achieve greater productivity and meet their targets...tum...ti...tum...

and she says, so it's... paper bags?

And finally, the person has to agree, that yes, he/she works in a warehouse dealing in paper bags...:confused

Why not say that in the first place?

j4bberw0ck
21-Jan-07, 14:26
Perhaps they want to work in the public sector? (http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/dmstandard/article.html?in_article_id=425260&in_page_id=1766)

:lol: