PDA

View Full Version : Harth - Marked with tar like stuff!!

ajr
28-Feb-05, 20:44
Hi guys

Went out to my friends house to give his harth a clean with the white spirits everyone suggested and found it to do pretty much nothing at all. It didn't shift the stuff evrn after about an hours scrubbing with a cloth soaked in white spirits. I bought a hard bristle brush and tried that but nothing. The tar like stuff is right into the grain of the flagstone and not wishing to move! I've seen some chemical on a web site but unsure of how good it would be. Does anyone have any other ideas?

I would post a picture I scanned if I knew how to!!

Cheers

Riffman
28-Feb-05, 20:54
Only solution I can think of is a method we use for decontaminating radioactive concrete, remove the top surface using a special grinder.

ajr
28-Feb-05, 21:00
Good god I think that solution althoguh 100% likely to work is a bit OTT and they wouldn't be too please with me scrapping the top off it. Cheers anyway it's the only one that'll work for sure so far!!! [lol] [lol] [lol]

Rheghead
28-Feb-05, 21:14
Try methylated spirits or acetone (nail varnish remover), they are what we chemists call polar solvents whereas white spirits is a non polar solvent.

If the goo is polar then MS will shift it.

I hope this 'solves' your problem. :o)

joe
28-Feb-05, 22:21
Go and ask Wullie Macdonald who does the gravestones,he knows all about fireplaces as well.

2little2late
28-Feb-05, 23:10
If it is a tar type substance try setting it alight. This wiil then soften it, thus raising it to the surface of the stone. Then you can scrape it off.

EDDIE
28-Feb-05, 23:54
What about using an industrial steam cleaner that puts out hot water

gleeber
01-Mar-05, 00:14
Good god I think that solution althoguh 100% likely to work is a bit OTT and they wouldn't be too please with me scrapping the top off it. Cheers anyway it's the only one that'll work for sure so far!!! [lol] [lol] [lol]

Cracker hahahaha

Ive built a few pireplaces but am no an expert on taking tar off the hearth.
My mother used to take tar of ma knees with butter and sometimes a wee bit o petrol helped once the tar was softened.
Make sure the fires oot though :eek:

macc
01-Mar-05, 12:43
I use orange oil stuff to get marks of our hearth when we fitted it, it is really oily and might do the trick in loosening the tar, like the butter used on clothes. It would do no harm as you can use it on wood and the rest of the hearth if it doesn't work so it won't go till waste. Its great stuff for bringing wood up as well. It'll do no harm to try it, I think its made by pledge, Oh an use a scraper alongside. good luck

squidge
01-Mar-05, 16:07
What about caustic soda?

Scary stuff but it might work try it on an discreetspot first though

George Brims
01-Mar-05, 18:23
I said it when you asked before so now I'm saying it again. Paraffin. The orange oil cleaner might work though, and it would certainly leave a better smell! If you can, get a hold of pure orange oil, rather than some soapy cleaner with a bit added.

Drutt
01-Mar-05, 18:45
If you're trying to find orange oil, you can get it from Lakeland -

http://tinyurl.co.uk/tch3

wings
01-Mar-05, 22:40
u get tar remover for cars and it works well.or u can use petrol.i have used both on e car.if u use petrol put it on and leave it for a while it softens the tar and wipe off then.

daviddd
01-Mar-05, 23:14
oven cleaner is one of the strongest solvents / cleaners available.