PDA

View Full Version : Scotland - still coming second?

Humerous Vegetable
20-Jan-07, 12:13
Has anyone else a view on the 2 recent press reports concerning Scotland's current status in the world according to our illustrious leaders in Westminster? Number 1 - Gordon Brown apparently supports England to host and win the next World Cup rather than Scotland; see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6280663.stm and number 2 - it seems likely that £51 million of Scotland's share of lottery funding will be taken south to help with the Wembley Stadium overspend, rather than funding community sports projects here in Scotland. See http://www.stv.tv/content/views/main/display.html?id=opencms:/news/Anger_at_London_Olympics_lottery_cash_de
What a laughing stock we must be to the rest of the world, sitting here in the heather chewing our haggis, grateful to be used and abused by our neighbours.

bigjjuk
20-Jan-07, 12:29
well mr brown has now retracted that, and stated he wanted scotland to beat england in the final. ( too late now )
as for wembly i think u r right it is very harsh to scotlands funs, Would it happen if it was the other way round though...... i think yes

cuddlepop
20-Jan-07, 19:36
Being Scottish now looks like accepting second best.
Our ancestors would be ashamed of all that we let be done to us.:~(
Since Gordon Brown said what he did and with the possibility of losing lottery funding to cover the shortfall down south,I've been thinking what it means to me to be a Scot.
Will i accept being walked over and ignored?
Will i accept never winning?
Will i accept poor standards and care?
Will i accept substandard wages for like for like work?
Nah...I reach for the Irn Bru,no one makes it like us..nah nah na na nah:Razz

golach
20-Jan-07, 20:13
Who actually cares....I dont

cuddlepop
20-Jan-07, 20:40
Who actually cares....I dont
Maybe not today but there's always tomorrow.
Remember we've got free care for the elderly ;)

golach
20-Jan-07, 20:50
Maybe not today but there's always tomorrow.
Remember we've got free care for the elderly ;)

Cuddlepop, what I should have said who cares what team Gordon Brown supports at the World Cup, he is a good supporter of Raith Rovers, what more can anyone ask, or care.
And I got a free bus pass from the Scottish Executive, not Gordon Brown[lol]

JAWS
21-Jan-07, 03:00
I never realised England was such a fascinating place. Some Scots seem so fascinated that it seems they can think of little else. :Razz

Metalattakk
21-Jan-07, 03:09
The exact same could be said of many of the English, about Scotland - i.e., the many who have relocated up here in the glorious Highlands to escape from their hum-drum, meagre existence down there in the 'rat-race'.

People in glass houses etc., etc., etc.

cuddlepop
21-Jan-07, 12:50
The exact same could be said of many of the English, about Scotland - i.e., the many who have relocated up here in the glorious Highlands to escape from their hum-drum, meagre existence down there in the 'rat-race'.

People in glass houses etc., etc., etc.
Yes and were creating a new country,now is it called Scotengland or Engscotland :lol:

Angela
21-Jan-07, 13:02
I never felt all that Scottish until I lived for some years in England!
The worst thing was being referred to as "Scotch" and people saying things like "I have a friend in Aberdeen. Maybe you know them?"
No, I didn't come from Aberdeen. :~(
Of course not everybody was like that by a long way & I expect many of us are just as lacking in knowledge about at least parts of England. (Not to mention Wales & Ireland).