PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted drug side effects

David Banks
12-May-13, 13:05
Has anyone ever heard of a cholesterol-reducing drug being the cause of, or a contributing factor in the onset of diabetes?

Specifically, rosuvastatin calcium (also known as apo-rosuvastatin).

Shaggy
12-May-13, 13:15
not personally but if you google it, some research papers say there is a link to diabetes occuring due to the meds but you don't know all the other factors involved. It's like anything you put in your body, there is always a risk involved. I'm interested myself as i have a family history of diabetes & cancer so im regularly on the lookout for any signs of both

M Swanson
12-May-13, 13:39
Well, I was diagnosed with high cholesterol and for two years took statins, but stopped by my own choice. The side effects just weren't worth continuing. I've always been a sound sleeper, but all that changed. I also developed crippling pain in both my hips and wrists. The doctor tried to tell me it wasn't the statins doing it, but it started when I took them and stopped within three months of me stopping. If you Google, David, you'll find there are hundreds complaining of the same disabling symptoms. Three years down the line and I will never take them again. I'll take my chances.

shazzap
12-May-13, 14:01
Well, I was diagnosed with high cholesterol and for two years took statins, but stopped by my own choice. The side effects just weren't worth continuing. I've always been a sound sleeper, but all that changed. I also developed crippling pain in both my hips and wrists. The doctor tried to tell me it wasn't the statins doing it, but it started when I took them and stopped within three months of me stopping. If you Google, David, you'll find there are hundreds complaining of the same disabling symptoms. Three years down the line and I will never take them again. I'll take my chances. My husband has developed crippling pain, of which you describe. Have you had your Cholesterol levels checked since then. Would be interested to know what they are.

M Swanson
12-May-13, 14:13
I'm sorry to hear of your husband's pain, but am not one bit surprised, Shazza. My first cholesterol result was a whopping 10 point something and I'm now down to 7.1. I've achieved this by eating sensibly and exercising daily. I think that's probably as good as it's going to get with me. It's nearly all down to genetics, according to my doctor and as my mother had high readings, but still survived to just short of 90 years, I will never risk the statin side effects again. I could well have been crippled by joint problems and I know I've been lucky. Some folks haven't fared so well and the damage has been irreversible. It's not an easy call and doctors do everything they can to push the treatment, but I'm sticking to my guns. Maybe other folks haven't suffered too badly and may give you better news, Shazz.

cptdodger
12-May-13, 17:54
Has anyone ever heard of a cholesterol-reducing drug being the cause of, or a contributing factor in the onset of diabetes?

Specifically, rosuvastatin calcium (also known as apo-rosuvastatin).

David, if you are at all concerned about the side effects of that drug or any drug for that matter, have a word with your local pharmacist, he or she will best be able to advise you of the possible side effects. The doctors will prescribe the best drug for the condition, but it may not be best for you. I personally have a problem with my liver (not alcohol related) but, any medicine I have been prescribed can have an adverse reaction because of this. So I tend to rely on a pharmacist more than my doctor when it comes to medication.