PDA

View Full Version : United with Labour. (or is it 'untied'?)

PantsMAN
12-May-13, 09:54
I see Labour are distancing themselves from their Better Together colleagues.

Nothing to do with the recent criticism of the negativity of the BT campaign by the likes of Tom Farmer and Jim McColl I expect?

Nothing to do with the problems UK Labour would face without the Scottish vote?

golach
12-May-13, 10:29
I see Labour are distancing themselves from their Better Together colleagues.

Nothing to do with the recent criticism of the negativity of the BT campaign by the likes of Tom Farmer and Jim McColl I expect?

Nothing to do with the problems UK Labour would face without the Scottish vote?

Better that than independence under Eck and Nicola

PantsMAN
12-May-13, 12:22
Doubt it.

Once the ConDems have finished selling off the family silver, again, there'll be nothing left. Better to be in charge of our own future that to leave it to a bunch of un-elected comedians in Westminster.

golach
12-May-13, 14:41
Doubt it.

Once the ConDems have finished selling off the family silver, again, there'll be nothing left. Better to be in charge of our own future that to leave it to a bunch of un-elected comedians in Westminster.

And Eck in his Rupert the Bear trews is not a comedian then?

PantsMAN
12-May-13, 15:26
Well, you please yersel'.

If that's the best you can do I doubt many folk will rate your opinion any higher than I do.

However, the First Minister isn't about to privatise The Post Office, The East Coast Line, our stake in Urenco, The Student Loans Company, Plasma Resources UK, possibly also RBS, Lloyds Group, with other assets regarded as potentially ready for privatisation including Companies House, the Land Registry, the Met Office and Ordnance Survey.

So a pair of humorous trousers seem like a good deal.

golach
12-May-13, 15:37
Well, you please yersel'.

If that's the best you can do I doubt many folk will rate your opinion any higher than I do.

However, the First Minister isn't about to privatise The Post Office, The East Coast Line, our stake in Urenco, The Student Loans Company, Plasma Resources UK, possibly also RBS, Lloyds Group, with other assets regarded as potentially ready for privatisation including Companies House, the Land Registry, the Met Office and Ordnance Survey.

So a pair of humorous trousers seem like a good deal.

Thats only because he does not wield enough power yet, and I hope he never does, but I assume you wish him to have all these?

PantsMAN
12-May-13, 16:01
Rather than the old Etonian gang any day.

orkneycadian
12-May-13, 23:51

Once we withdraw from the UK, we really have no right to be commenting on what the remainder of the UK does with their assets. If we become an independant Scotland, the new liberated UK can do as it wishes. Unless I am mistooken, the majority of the East Coast main line runs through England. If they see fit to rip the lines up from the border southwards, thats their call. It will be, after all, their country, and it would be rather cheeky of us, as an independent nation, to be telling them that they shouldn't be doing that.

We, meantime, will have nobody to greet to but ourselves.

secrets in symmetry
13-May-13, 00:42
Hmm Pantsman, your political wishful thinking is as beige as ever.

PantsMAN
13-May-13, 09:47
Hmm Pantsman, your political wishful thinking is as beige as ever.

I had a wee read of a number of your posts - you don't actually say very much about anything really; thanks for your contribution to the thread though.

Great peace of insightful debating SIS.

Keep up the good work, aye right!

PantsMAN
13-May-13, 09:50
Once we withdraw from the UK,

SNIP

We, meantime, will have nobody to greet to but ourselves.

Crucial opening to that post - glad you agree that we might cut the cord.

You're correct about the UK remainder - they can sit back and enjoy the future under whichever Tory government they elect; and enjoy their consequences. I know where I would rather be.

piratelassie
13-May-13, 13:22
I see Gordon Brown is helping the no mob. Good, after the mess he oversaw with the banking industry ,well need I say more.

PantsMAN
13-May-13, 13:48
I see Gordon Brown is helping the no mob.
SNIP

Nothing like a failed Prime Minister to add kudos and gravitas to a political campaign.

golach
13-May-13, 14:15
I see Gordon Brown is helping the no mob.

I would not expect him to do otherwise, you want him to vote for Eck, Aye Right :D

PantsMAN
13-May-13, 14:53
I would not expect him to do otherwise, you want him to vote for Eck, Aye Right :D

Must agree there - his colours are firmly on the Westminster mast!

orkneycadian
13-May-13, 17:42
Crucial opening to that post - glad you agree that we might cut the cord.

You're correct about the UK remainder - they can sit back and enjoy the future under whichever Tory government they elect; and enjoy their consequences. I know where I would rather be.

Slight straw clutch from you there! ;-)

In return, I note that you are glad that we only might cut the cord as opposed to will. [lol]

If we ever secede from the UK, then yes, the rest of the UK can do what they please, and we will have no say in it. If they do foolish things, as you suggest, then true, we might have the last laugh. But just as equally, the joke may be on us, and we will be the ones suffering the consequences. I, like many many others, am not necessarily opposed to the independence idea. But before I (we) can seriously consider it, there needs to be a robust case put for it. Alas, that seems to be sadly lacking, with supporters suggesting we vote first, then worry about the negotiations later.

Tactics such as attempts to pose a leading question on the referendum slips, convince me that there are some desperate efforts to gloss over the truth, a skill honed by most politicians, irrespective of the colour of their rosette.

orkneycadian
13-May-13, 17:46

And may the Great Peace continue! I can't remember where I have put the claymore....

orkneycadian
13-May-13, 18:18
Scotland's independence referendum is affecting the investment plans of more than a third of oil and gas operators and contractors, according to a survey.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-22508772

Humerous Vegetable
13-May-13, 18:25
I see Gordon Brown is helping the no mob. Good, after the mess he oversaw with the banking industry ,well need I say more.

I'm afraid I fail to see why we are listening to any MP or Peer in this debate, when they are only interested in whether or not they will lose their lucrative pay packets/expenses/pensions. On independence, they will have no jobs, so why are they trying to take part in this debate? The taxpayer will save a fortune once we rid ourselves of these overpaid parasites.

ducati
13-May-13, 21:42
I'm afraid I fail to see why we are listening to any MP or Peer in this debate, when they are only interested in whether or not they will lose their lucrative pay packets/expenses/pensions. On independence, they will have no jobs, so why are they trying to take part in this debate? The taxpayer will save a fortune once we rid ourselves of these overpaid parasites.

Er Won't they just be replaced with a whole bunch of other overpaid parasites?

Humerous Vegetable
14-May-13, 11:55
Er...we already have our own bunch of overpaid parasites. It's not a case of replacing MPs and Peers, because they won't be replaced, they will be deleted from the face of Scottish politics. The taxpayer is currently supporting MEPs, MPs, Peers, MSPs and local authority councillors. After independence, at least we will lose 2 layers of this unholy political bedrock.

PantsMAN
14-May-13, 15:04
Slight straw clutch from you there! ;-)

In return, I note that you are glad that we only might cut the cord as opposed to will. [lol]

If we ever secede from the UK,
SNIP
But before I (we) can seriously consider it, there needs to be a robust case put for it.

I would never assume to be able to fortell the decisions of a nation as prickly as the Scots.

You're not wrong OC, on the other hand the Naysayers seem only able to tell us why we shouldn't be leaving and how we won't be able to survive. (while many of them wish to leave a political, fiscal and legal union also...)

orkneycadian
14-May-13, 16:10
This is true. But to be able to make an informed decision, the voting public of Scotland need to presented with the facts about what they are voting for. Not a romanticised notion with its origins in the film Braveheart.

The Yaysayers are as bad at glossing over the facts that are less than ideal or clear cut.

We were fooled into thinking that a meeting room for the devolved government would cost us a mere £40 million. It cost more like £440 million. I for one, will not fall for a stunt like that, so this time round, there needs to be proper and precise projections of what independence will actually mean for us here in Scotland. If the Yaysayers cannot provide that, or it cannot stand up to scrutiny, then its a complete dead duck as far as I am concerned.

secrets in symmetry
14-May-13, 23:15
I had a wee read of a number of your posts - you don't actually say very much about anything really; thanks for your contribution to the thread though.

Keep up the good work, aye right!Your political views and economic comprehension are predictably beige - they're aren't worth reading. By telling you this, I am contributing more to your education than you were able to contribute to mine over a period of many years. :cool: