PDA

View Full Version : DVD rental

Angela
18-Jan-07, 13:50
I've been thinking of renting DVDs through the post - when I take them out of the local shop I never seem to get them back the next day! Which is rather a waste of money. :(

I looked at Tesco, lovefilm and Amazon -thought the Amazon deal looked the best but wondered if anybody had any recommendations? :)

Geo
18-Jan-07, 14:10
I'm with Lovefilm and they've been good so far (first month). Sent DVDs back on Monday and the next couple arrived on Wednesday.

With any of these services make sure you get a free certificate of postage when sending them back. That way if they get lost in the post you can prove you sent them.

If you want a free month trial with Lovefilm PM me and I'll send you a code.

sjj278
18-Jan-07, 14:22
I'm also with Tesco (lovefilm) and not had a problem yet , been with them a year. fast dispatch, and first class post both ways. i think it great.

Axis of Ignorance
18-Jan-07, 15:46
I've been with Amazon for quite some time and have only good things to say about their DVD rental service. I guess most of the services are broadly similar and priced competitively but some of the good things I've found with Amazon are as follows:

- The 'people who bought this...' feature is good for introducing you to things you might not otherwise have found. It gets better the more you use Amazon and often makes interesting suggestions.
- On a couple of occasions I've had DVDs not arrive and DVDs not reach Amazon when I post them back. This has always been dealt with promptly, graciously and at no expense or inconvenience to me.
- Amazon have a very wide range of titles of both new releases and older films. I've never got close to running out of things to watch.

Of course, I can't speak for the other options on your list because I've bever used them but they're all better than renting films from a shop, in my opinion. Like you, that always ended up costing me much more than I'd bargained for since I inevitably left the DVD lying around the house for an extra couple of days.

BillE
18-Jan-07, 16:42
I've been thinking of renting DVDs through the post - when I take them out of the local shop I never seem to get them back the next day! Which is rather a waste of money. :( )

Go to the local library, you can hire a DVD for £1.75 and you get to keep it for two weeks so you don't need to watch it in a hurry.

Bill

hobbes1962
18-Jan-07, 17:59
I'm also with Amazon rental and have been for over a year. I'm on the smallest package (3 DVD's a month for £5.99) and I've never had any problems and its a quick turnaround to get a new DVD sent to you when you send the old one back:D

webmannie
19-Jan-07, 00:15
Crikey that reminds me, i've had one from amazon since early December. Better get it watched and sent back!

amazon is good, no complaints, though they may have regarding me!!

marlyn
19-Jan-07, 14:57
Hi we have been with Amazon for a year now and could not fault them in the slightest, turn around is really quick. We would highly recommend them if you are planning on it.

Angela
19-Jan-07, 15:59
Many thanks to everybody for your recommendations, I've got no excuse now for not just cracking on with it ....:D

stevep
19-Jan-07, 21:48
We use Amazon and it's really good. You provide them with a wish list and you never no what you are going to get.

Service is 1st class.

Geo
19-Jan-07, 22:02
One thing to remember about any of these services is if you decide to cancel, clear your list of wanted films. That way they won't send out any more as soon as they receive your latest ones back and risk another months payment.

Also if on a free trial and are cancelling do the same thing and make sure the last disks are returned no later than the last day of the trial or they will bill you for the next month. I usually make sure they are back a few days early.