PDA

View Full Version : Weather

johnlc
18-Jan-07, 09:26
You Know What Annoys Me,is Am Watching Gmtv Just Nw And Their Going On About The Bad Weather Down South,if They Were To Come Up Here On A Really Bad Day They'd Soon Ken About It.dont U Feel Because We Are All The Way Up Here We Totally Get Ignored Like Were Nothing.:)

Angela
18-Jan-07, 11:09
I've not switched on the tv yet, but I know what you mean. Usually The North means the North of England. Here in Edinburgh it's sleet at the moment -not at all nice, but not that bad.

Looking up my family history, I discovered my gt uncle got stuck on a train in the Rockies for a few days in December 1904 -on his way to Vancouver -because of snowdrifts.

That reminded me of another year (late 1970s) when a train bound for Wick got stuck in the snow and had to be dug out. That year the snow lay even in Edinburgh for a good three weeks. My mum had come down from Wick to stay with us for one week, & ended up having to stay for three weeks before she could get home...

In the 1950s/60s my uncle was a driver for Caithness County Council and in the winter he drove snowploughs/snowplows (? can't spell!) and we never really knew when he'd be coming home! :(

pat
18-Jan-07, 11:44
Beautiful sunny morning this morning, no wind or rain, a fantastic day for January - no sign of rain at the moment, I just ignore the weather forecasts unless they give severe winds (usually means ferries do not run, supplies of food cannot get here and the stores shelves empty quickly). As it is dry must rush and get the washing hung out.

emb123
18-Jan-07, 11:51
just heard the forecast on the radio this morning - storms everywhere except the highlands :)

I guess what goes around comes around!

Angela
18-Jan-07, 12:12
Summers in Wick there always used to be a problem with days and days that the haar didn't lift, no planes coming or going -I don't know if that's changed? I haven't been back for twenty years, but I've mostly lived on the east coast and there's always been some haar.

For a while I lived in York and thought the weather would be "better" than in Scotland - I hadn't allowed for the fog you get in "The Vale of York" -in fact I'd never even heard of the Vale of York - it was quite something, especially when I was driving...

Of course in York, The North meant...Newcastle! :)

lassieinfife
18-Jan-07, 12:16
3 inches of snow here ggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr i just hate it:(

johnlc
18-Jan-07, 12:49
Oh well a lovely day here the day.Beautiful sunshine,don't feel like january anyway.Would love it 2 snow,love it.:D

lassieinfife
18-Jan-07, 13:28
Oh well a lovely day here the day.Beautiful sunshine,don't feel like january anyway.Would love it 2 snow,love it.:D

not if you had to walk everywhere on ungritted paths................. :confused

Angela
18-Jan-07, 13:34
Still just trying to snow in Embra. I'd rather it did...but then you get the slush and the slush freezes and you land on your bum...! Which can be quite painful. [evil]

Murdina Bug
18-Jan-07, 14:08
You Know What Annoys Me,is Am Watching Gmtv Just Nw And Their Going On About The Bad Weather Down South,if They Were To Come Up Here On A Really Bad Day They'd Soon Ken About It.dont U Feel Because We Are All The Way Up Here We Totally Get Ignored Like Were Nothing.:)

What really annoyed me about the GMTV weather this morning was the fact that they cut the weather map off at about Dornoch when they were giving the (supposedly) UK forecast! And then showed about an inch of English Channel at the bottom of the screen - so they could have quite easily moved the map down a bit..... I thought that was very ignorant - in fact I may be moved to email them directly!!

flyfifer
18-Jan-07, 14:21
Lassieinfife and Angela - I hate walking on ice too! Not sure if I can advertise on here, but on a well known shopping channel website, there is the solution to your problem. I got them a couple of years ago and I can run on ice with complete confidence now!! PM me for details.xx

hobbes1962
18-Jan-07, 18:02

I know what you mean - they just can't handle soft puffs of wind down there:lol:

kas
18-Jan-07, 18:10
I know exactly what you are saying about us being ignored when we suffer from severe weather, but in all fairness 7 people have been killed today as a result of the weather, including a 2 year old boy. As well as 26 men abandoning their ship into liferafts off the south coast of England, so you can see why the bad weather is making headlines.

Meanwhile we have had a great day up here, a morning frost and some sunshine, exactly how it should be for this time of year.

Fluff
18-Jan-07, 19:06
I know what you mean - they just can't handle soft puffs of wind down there:lol:

In all fairness the wind is really rough down here today.
A man died today here, a tree crushed his car.

On our way home, bus was stuck in traffic because roff tiles were flying off (fire crew were there trying to make it safe)

Not nice and defintly NOT just a soft puff of air.

paris
18-Jan-07, 19:48
Just come back from Lincoln and there are 5 up turned lorries and loads of trees down. Police are everywhere, and lots of damage to properties as well . jan x

Bobbyian
18-Jan-07, 20:57
We´ve tied the roof down and are now waiting for and hoping the trees don´t come down ( joking) but it is really really windy here today

Wish
18-Jan-07, 21:00
Quite a few people have lost their lives too:(

Bobbyian
18-Jan-07, 21:20
There were a few deaths here also mostly due to falling trees on roads, at the moment all trains have been stopped and in the ports they are waiting for far an extreme high tide probably 3 meters over normal

emb123
18-Jan-07, 21:26
Eight dead as UK struck by storms

Eight people have died, travel has been severely disrupted and thousands of homes have been left without power as gales and heavy downpours hit the UK. A two-year-old boy died when a wall fell on him in Kentish Town, London.
Four others died in road-related accidents in Yorkshire, Berkshire, Shropshire. Two people died in Greater Manchester, as did two in Cheshire.
Gusts of up to 70mph have seen flights cancelled, rail speed restrictions enforced and sections of motorway shut.

In order to avoid 'leeching' I won't copy the entire article which is available here at the BBC....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6272193.stm