PDA

View Full Version : The abdication and the succession

secrets in symmetry
08-May-13, 13:13
The greatest (probably) Scottish manager of all time has retired.

Who best can succeed him?

The head Toff was the bookies favourite for a time, but the Special One would surely be more exciting. :cool:

Flynn
08-May-13, 13:48
First Thatcher dies, now Ferguson retires...Somewhere there's a Scouser with a lamp and one wish left.

secrets in symmetry
08-May-13, 15:01
Somewhere there's a Scouser with a lamp and one wish left.Dalglish or Hansen to take over at Old Trafford? :cool:

How's Rupert Murdoch's health these days?

Anfield
08-May-13, 15:18
The greatest (probably) Scottish manager of all time has retired. Glad you said "Scottish" as bob Paisley had a much better record in the short time (9 seaons) that he was the Liverpool manager;
Football League First Division (6): 1975–76, 1976–77, 1978–79, 1979–80, 1981–82, 1982–83
League Cup (3): 1980–81, 1981–82, 1982–83
FA Charity Shield (6): 1974, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1982
European Cup (3): 1976–77, 1977–78, 1980–81UEFA Cup (1): 1975–76
UEFA Super Cup (1): 1977
making a total of 20 trophies in nine years, Wonder what his total would have been if he had stayed 27 years?

First Thatcher dies, now Ferguson retires...Somewhere there's a Scouser with a lamp and one wish left.How is the Windsor woman?

secrets in symmetry
08-May-13, 15:57
In terms of trophies won, the Scottish rivals that came to mind were Matt Busby, Jock Stein and Walter Smith, but I don't think any of them achieved major success with more than one club, or for so long. Who else could be on the list?

For best British manager, Bob Paisley is a rival to Ferguson. Paisley's rate of success was indeed higher than Ferguson's, but it was with one club only, and not for nearly so long. Who are the other English rivals in terms of number of trophies and more than one club managed? Herbert Chapman? Anyone else?

secrets in symmetry
08-May-13, 16:05
The real question though, is who could follow Sir Alex?

The BBC have Moyes as favourite, with the Special One second, and Jurgen Klopp third. Is Jupp Heynckes a candidate, or is he too old and too Bayern?

Anfield
08-May-13, 16:27
In terms of trophies won, the Scottish rivals that came to mind were Matt Busby, Jock Stein and Walter Smith, but I don't think any of them achieved major success with more than one club, or for so long. Who else could be on the list?
Er, a certain Bill Shankly springs to mind

The real question though, is who could follow Sir Alex?
I think this job is a poisoned chalice. Because ferguson is staying, on the new manager will have to hit the ground, not just running but sprinting. Any poor performances will inevitably lead to cries from the "Prawn Sandwich" supporters from S/E England (not my words but a certain Roy Keane) for ferguson to return.
If I was a top class manager (I am on PC games) I would wait a while for someone else to take the flak, then for him to get get sacked, then I would take the job

secrets in symmetry
08-May-13, 17:38
Er, a certain Bill Shankly springs to mindDalglish has a trophy record similar to Shankly's.

Bill Struth has a trophy record similar to Ferguson's, albeit in a different league in a different era.

billmoseley
08-May-13, 19:28
Love or hate him i think he will go down as one of the greatest club managers of all time in the world. He has seen football and Man UTD thought alot of changes and carried on winning. Football will not be the same without him

gleeber
08-May-13, 21:14
Brian Clough was another top manager who could build a good team but he couldn't maintain it. Bob paisley never maintained it either. Its sour grapes not to give Sir Alex his due.

squidge
08-May-13, 21:27
Okay .... Lunchtime discussion led to the Special One for United, Moyes to go to the Bundesliga - possibly Dortmund, Wenger to go to Madrid, Benitez to go to Man City. We decided it might be quite an interesting few weeks..

joxville
08-May-13, 21:48
It's only a game.

secrets in symmetry
08-May-13, 22:45
Everyone seems to be going for the safe option, namely Moyes. Will that lead to a tearful reunification with his scouse protégé?

Anfield
09-May-13, 11:06
Brian Clough was another top manager who could build a good team but he couldn't maintain it. Bob paisley never maintained it either. Its sour grapes not to give Sir Alex his due.

What do you mean Bob Paisley never sustained it? He won at least one trophy every season, and in his last season won 2.
Bob Paisley was a gentleman who never threw his toys out of pram every time a decision went against him, never threw objects at his players and never made a drugs cheat the captain of his team.

secrets in symmetry
16-May-13, 12:46
What do you mean Bob Paisley never sustained it? He won at least one trophy every season, and in his last season won 2.
Bob Paisley was a gentleman who never threw his toys out of pram every time a decision went against him, never threw objects at his players and never made a drugs cheat the captain of his team.Lol! Gleeber should stick to pontificating on things he knows something about - like being the Pope. :cool:

Anfield
16-May-13, 17:22
Lol! Gleeber should stick to pontificating on things he knows something about - like being the Pope. :cool:

A lot of Man Utd fans think that football only started in the early 1990's i.e. when they started winning things

Keyser_soze
16-May-13, 18:22
Im no United fan but Fergie is the best of all time, hes done it consistently over the last 30+ years with st mirren aberdoom & United . 38 trophies he won in 26 years, he divided Rangers & Celtc in Scotland, was gettin 20000+ to watch St mirren in the 70`s.

Sour grapes and pure jealousy by anyone not to give him the credit hes due for his managerial career, Hes knocked you off your perch & you cant handle the fact that your not loved as much as you think you should be anymore.

Football will be a lot poorer place without Sir Alex & you know it. I mean Moyes ? I dont think hes capable of taking United to the next level But at least hes finished top dog on Merseyside this season, Brendan rogers :lol: Is it cold down there ???

secrets in symmetry
16-May-13, 18:28
A lot of Man Utd fans think that football only started in the early 1990's i.e. when they started winning thingsLol!

It started in 1967 in Lisbon. :cool:

Anfield
16-May-13, 22:27
Lol!

It started in 1967 in Lisbon. :cool:

That was some team, eleven players born in Glasgow. Nowadays you do not even see teams made up of eleven from the same continent!
I wonder who will be the first team to win CL with players from the six main Continents (Europe, Africa, N America, S America & Australasia) of the world

Oddquine
16-May-13, 22:57
Im no United fan but Fergie is the best of all time, hes done it consistently over the last 30+ years with st mirren aberdoom & United . 38 trophies he won in 26 years, he divided Rangers & Celtc in Scotland, was gettin 20000+ to watch St mirren in the 70`s.

Sour grapes and pure jealousy by anyone not to give him the credit hes due for his managerial career, Hes knocked you off your perch & you cant handle the fact that your not loved as much as you think you should be anymore.

Football will be a lot poorer place without Sir Alex & you know it. I mean Moyes ? I dont think hes capable of taking United to the next level But at least hes finished top dog on Merseyside this season, Brendan rogers :lol: Is it cold down there ???

Was never overly keen on Fergie, tbh, having watched (and heard him) at schools representative footie back in the early eighties in Grampian. Never thought he was a nice man, tbh, and my opinion has never changed that much!

As with many other "superior managers" I do rather wonder how he would have fared without the money Man U gave him to spend on players over the years. He didn't win anything at East Stirlingshire, he was sacked from St Mirren......maybe because they eventually had the same opinion of him as I had from that one football game of listening to him when he was at Aberdeen and his sons played for Aberdeen Schools. I thought he was an arrogant, self-important asshole then...and nothing he has done since has changed my mind.

Given Ferguson himself thought Moyes was an adequate replacement for himself......do you think he was ensuring that Man U would never do as well in the future as they did when he was in charge, in order to maintain his reputation as the greatest Man U manager ......or do you think he thinks Davy Moyes would be an adequate replacement for him and carry Man U forward?

Never quite understood the football mindset, tbh....to me, a great manager is someone who can make something out of nothing....not someone who can shop around the world with a bottomless wallet, and pay silly money to employ players they think can win honours.

We wonder why our Scottish National team is generally crap...that would be because of the foreigners in the game at SPL level who deny Scottish players games....and the fact that that the only place we generally look below SPL for candidates for national caps, nowadays. is to Sevco /The Rangers(boak!)

Phill
16-May-13, 23:51
Never thought he was a nice man,Do nice people always succeed and win? In my recent run ins with the likes of Fergie, Mancini, Benitez and a couple other of their peers, I would say Ferguson is actually the nicest and most down to earth of them all. But then, I was nea playing football.

secrets in symmetry
17-May-13, 00:36
That was some team, eleven players born in Glasgow. Nowadays you do not even see teams made up of eleven from the same continent!
I wonder who will be the first team to win CL with players from the six main Continents (Europe, Africa, N America, S America & Australasia) of the worldIt was some team indeed. Rangers also had some nae-bad local players at the time. :cool:

Changed days....

Anfield
17-May-13, 14:26
"..Sour grapes and pure jealousy by anyone not to give him the credit hes due for his managerial career.."

Where I come from respect has to be earned, and as other people on this thread have pointed out Alex Ferguson is not a very nice gentleman

George Brims
17-May-13, 17:25
Flynn I often find your posts stimulate thought, but this one was out and out hilarious. Oops forgot to hit the "quote" button - I meant the post about the scouser with the lamp.

Keyser_soze
19-May-13, 06:12
You just cant hide the bitterness. Its so funny knowing SAF has knocked you off your perch

secrets in symmetry
21-May-13, 14:55
The Special One might not be going to Old Trafford, but he's leaving the Bernabéu, and all the talk is of him going back to the Bridge.

Could he still surprise us - by going to the Etihad?

secrets in symmetry
20-Jun-13, 00:50
Could Sir Alex come out of retirement to save the Jambos? They'll be needing someone of his calibre to avoid relegation next season.