PDA

View Full Version : Redpoll

Scunner
06-May-13, 19:49
I had at least 3 on the feeder in the garden to-day. It's the first time I've seen them.

Kenn
06-May-13, 22:33
Could you send one across please? I've not seen any in years.

Scunner
07-May-13, 00:01
I had to contact a friend to come and look, as I couldn't identify them The male has such a bright pink/red front that I was completely confused. There seems to be quite a few around, keeping company with the siskins and goldfinches.

therealducati
09-May-13, 11:09
There are two in my garden at the moment. I have lived here for over 5 years and never seen them before, so am well-chuffed. Plus the siskins are back after a two year absence and the goldfinches and greenfinches are here as usual. Let's hope for a good year for all the small featherys.

mij770
12-May-13, 12:27
Two pairs been here in Forse for two weeks now feeding on nyjer seed along with siskins and goldfinches

Liz
15-May-13, 13:09
I am delighted to have two in my garden as well! :) Mistook them for Linnets at first.

Also have Siskins, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Sparrows, Collared Doves and Starlings who come to feast every day. I love watching and listening to them.

I share your sentiments therealducati. x

Scunner
15-May-13, 15:01
Many more have arrived

Kenn
16-May-13, 00:05
Got several visiting here now on a daily basis but the Siskins keep beating them up!

therealducati
16-May-13, 23:25
I am delighted to have two in my garden as well! :) Mistook them for Linnets at first.

Also have Siskins, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Sparrows, Collared Doves and Starlings who come to feast every day. I love watching and listening to them.

I share your sentiments therealducati. x

Having looked on the RSPB website I am now not sure if they are redpolls or linnets (one of them had a very red front), or even both. They are about half the size of a sparrow.
In addition to all the birds Liz listed, robins and all four species of tit (no rude comments please) we also have two very large wood pigeons visiting every day, for the first year ever- they are driving the cats wild so it is a good job they cannot access that part of the garden.

Kenn
17-May-13, 00:02
Sounds like a Redpoll if it's 1/2 the size of a Sparrow, a Linnet is a little larger although they are about the county at the moment with the males wearing some very heavy blushes but I suppose that's allowed as it is Spring!

Racoon
20-May-13, 16:59
Funny you should say that I`ve never seen one here or heard of them before and I`ve had 4 in my garden at Berriedale this week, which area do you live in ?

hillyhonk
21-May-13, 19:23
We had three in our garden over the last couple of days, aren't they lovely birds?

wickscorrie
22-May-13, 19:50
first time mother has had them at hers as well
also
siskins
blue tit
greenfinch
great tit
coal tit
chaffinch
bramling
gold finch
wren
robin
sparrow
starling
blackbird
thrush
swallow
swift
when i go out to hers my nose is usually glued to her window watching them

Liz
27-May-13, 14:29
I've just discovered that we do actually have Linnets in the garden as well as Redpoll. :)

Scunner
27-May-13, 14:32
seriously jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!