PDA

View Full Version : Thurso Co-op Car Park

laguna2
17-Jan-07, 12:55
It is about time that something was done about the inconsiderate people who park their vehicles outwith designated parking spaces in this car park.

This morning there was a van parked in one of the "roads" within the carpark. The driver was in the van and was well aware that he was causing an obstruction - but just refused to move despite.

Rant over!!!!

minxy_69
17-Jan-07, 13:11
i always see a traffic warden in wick,wheres the 1 for thurso?technically its not even parking its just complete crazy driving and sitting still,no thought that an emergency vehicle mite need to get through!!

laguna2
17-Jan-07, 13:37
i always see a traffic warden in wick,wheres the 1 for thurso?technically its not even parking its just complete crazy driving and sitting still,no thought that an emergency vehicle mite need to get through!!

I thought Thurso and Wick "shared" the traffic warden?

To be honest I was so annoyed (he was blocking me from getting out) that I was on the verge of going to the police station. But then by the time I got there he would probably have gone.

Skerries
17-Jan-07, 18:20
The thing I find annoying is that the disabled spaces and parent spaces in supermarket car parks are often used by people that don't need them. If there's no room, I park further away somewhere - it's not that hard to walk a few metres if you're able to!

badger
17-Jan-07, 18:29
Parking at Thurso Co-op is getting pretty difficult on occasions but I agree there is absolutely no excuse for parking the "road" areas. It should be obvious that it's dangerous but like all these things I suppose it will take an accident before something is done.

souperman
17-Jan-07, 18:42
Whilst we are on the subject, how about putting the recycle skips somewhere else, opposite Riverside Replicas perhaps in the bus park, and freeing up at least half a dozen spaces ?

footie chick
17-Jan-07, 18:56
Whilst we are on the subject, how about putting the recycle skips somewhere else, opposite Riverside Replicas perhaps in the bus park, and freeing up at least half a dozen spaces ?

It would free up parking spaces but also be easier to recycle.

danc1ngwitch
17-Jan-07, 18:59
when i have the children in the car and looking for a parking place, I make it fun for them to go round and round. We use it like a game and before long we are having a good giggle. I just wish though that they would shift the bottle banks etc, i know that they are there for to let people who are walking easy access, but i find them a right eye sore. I know they ain't doing no harm there but still. I am also guilty for parking my little car where it shouldn't be in that car park, ( but only when children ain't with me ). <<< Guilty now. But it ain't big enough to cause an obstruction>>> :roll:

Fran
17-Jan-07, 19:11
There are 2 traffic wardens, one in wick and one in Thurso. If the supermarket car parks are privately owned there is nothing the warden can do, but somerfield in wick do not own their car park and the warden is often walking around there and can instantly fine people using disabled spaces illegally.

maidencaithness
18-Jan-07, 00:05
There are 2 traffic wardens, one in wick and one in Thurso. If the supermarket car parks are privately owned there is nothing the warden can do, but somerfield in wick do not own their car park and the warden is often walking around there and can instantly fine people using disabled spaces illegally.
The car park at the Co-op in Thurso is owned by the council and that is the reason the recycling bins are there, I agree they should be down at the riverside where there is more room and easier access. A number of people who work in the centre of town also park there all day thus blocking up valuable spaces.

Blazing Sporrans
19-Jan-07, 16:11
What galls me is that there are 83 marked car parking bays in Janet Street, Thurso and the typical Caithnessian does not seem to walk the length of themselves to utilise these. Let's face it, in any other major town or city, motorists would kill to be able to get so close to a town centre! I remember when I first came up here seeing a woman leave Northern Hardware and jump into her 4x4 outside. She then drove ALL the way down to Sutherlands Pharmacy and finding no spaces there, double parked and ran into the shop, leaving two vehicles blocked in. This still seems typical of the attitude of many motorists in Thurso. The sooner all the bays on Traill Street between Cowie Lane and the pedestrian crossing and the corresponding ones round the corner in Olrig Street (outside Bews) are marked for commercial loading and unloading only and for the use of disabled drivers, the better.

Don't even get me started on Thurso taxi drivers who think they have a God given right to do what they want....

crashbandicoot1979
19-Jan-07, 17:10
I agree with you, blazing sporrans. There are loads of places to park in Thurso if people are prepared to walk a small distance. Threre is always parking in Janet Street or down beside the Salvation Army hall , but instead people insist on getting as close to the shop doors as possible. Saying that, I still think that the ground next to the co-op should have been used for further parking space rather than flats.