PDA

View Full Version : Baby Borrowers

Tristan
16-Jan-07, 21:16
I have been watching bits and pieces of the Baby Borrowers. It is a group of teenage couples who are seeing what it is like to be a real parent (as much as you can by borrowing other peoples children for the week). It has been interesting to see how difficult some of them find it and how others are coping and rising to the situation. Even still all of them see how difficult it is.

Should more younger people be exposed to babysitting, children, etc to make them more aware of the responsibilities of being a parent?

Why do you think the UK has one, if not thee, highest rate of teenage pregnancy?

(PS sorry about the typo but I am on a laptop with a small keyboard)

j4bberw0ck
16-Jan-07, 21:30
Flour Babies by Anne Fine (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flour-Babies-Anne-Fine/dp/0140361472) - this book is a good read and describes something that all teenagers should be required to do - carry a bag of flour for a while and pretend it's a baby. I suspect the birth rate would plummet :lol: . I admit when Mrs J suggested I read it, I thought "oh nooooo" but got hooked very quickly. It's funny and sad and full of truth.

emszxr
16-Jan-07, 21:46
i have been watching it too, and i have to say the parents of the babys/children are either very brave or mad. there is no way i could hand my kids over to them. i would be a total nervous wreck.

the boy with the piercings, alex or sam, cant remember which one which, is just great, but he should get shot of his girlfriend, she does nothing at all. she thinks cause she made lunch that is all she has to contribute to the running of the family and house.

Tristan
16-Jan-07, 21:51
i have been watching it too, and i have to say the parents of the babys/children are either very brave or mad. there is no way i could hand my kids over to them. i would be a total nervous wreck.

the boy with the piercings, alex or sam, cant remember which one which, is just great, but he should get shot of his girlfriend, she does nothing at all. she thinks cause she made lunch that is all she has to contribute to the running of the family and house.

At least there is a nanny in the house there to intervene. Still not sure if I could do it but with that backup I might consider it.

I agree, you would have thought it would be the girls, but the boys seem to be rising to the occasion more than they are.

brandy
16-Jan-07, 22:05
i remember flour babies!!
we had them in school when we were 14.
we made babies out of a 5LB sack of flour..
had to take them everywhere we went.. in and out of school.. for a week.
we could get a baby sitter but cost us 50 cents an hour.. and had to pay the person watching them and had to make sure they were responsible.
now the babies are a lot more high tech!
they cry and laugh and can even die.
my cousins daughter has one right now from the school.
we also watched women giving birth in school.. via video of course.. and with parents signed permision.. boy did that put a damper on our sex drives! *laughs* the boys really turned green!
we saw a natural and section birth..
i can still remember my teacher saying..
girls now remember the best form of birth control is abstinence..
and if you can keep a asprin between your knees you will never get preg!