PDA

View Full Version : Wick CCTV

concerned resident
25-Feb-05, 15:03
P& J 25th February 2005
CCTV failing to cut crime, or reassure public - Study of 14 closed -circuit TV Camera schemes, by Leicester University.

The council are now going to spend our council tax, and other funding, to £50,000 for CCTV for Wick. Do they think some shiny new cameras will make Wick more attractive?
I am sure this money could be put to a better use, possibly improving the area, not assisting big brother like they did in Thurso. (saves the police having to go out in the cold, and be part of the local community)

Mr P Cannop
25-Feb-05, 16:00
i think it will lower crime ??

katarina
25-Feb-05, 16:13
It's not before time that wick got some cameras. thurso has had them for ages. Maybe it won't cut crime, but it will lead to more convictions. I don't think the intention is to make Wick bonnier. I for one will welcome them.

Whitewater
25-Feb-05, 16:15
They have already proved their worth in Thurso where several convictions have been made based on tne CCTV footage when fighting has brocken out outside 'Top Joes' and on the main streets.

Perhaps the Kevin MacLeod case might have had a different result had they been installed outside Carters (as it was then called) on the night that he died.

We only have to make sure they are sighted in the correct areas and that somebody is responsible for ensuring that they are always loaded with fresh video footage as required.

CCTV also proved its worth recently when the nutter who killed Liam Henderson outside Hampden Park was convicted for life.

katarina
26-Feb-05, 21:25
I totally agree, whitewater.

Camra
28-Feb-05, 09:02
I remember last Christmas on my way home early hours, two gentlemen thought it would be fun to try and wreck the fence round the chrismas tree. When i pointed out that a light on in the upstairs of the council offices was where cctv was recording every thing they did, they thought the better of it. No actual cctv in place.....but the threat of evidence was enough.

katarina
28-Feb-05, 09:38
I agree camra. I know it's not the complete answer, but it goes at least a little way towards making our town safer. Pity we couldn't afford to have them on every street. In some cases it would act as a deterrent.

philupmaboug
28-Feb-05, 14:46
What difference would CCTV outside Carters have made to the K.McLeod incident?? I thought that occured in the area of the harbour! or do you know something that no one else does?

macc
28-Feb-05, 17:19
I think if I remember the coverage in the groat, It is thought Kevin was hit outside Carters and walked away, and it was due to the injuries he sustained from that he fell at the harbour and died, but I can't remember the exact facts. I think CCTV would be worthwhile in Wick as it would help with control of crime and needless vandalisation of the town, eg shop windows constantly broken. So anything that helps the town lets go for it...

katarina
28-Feb-05, 17:22
It would be a good idea to have one round the harbour area as well. K mcleod is not the only person to end up in the harbour. although his is the only unexplained case.
I don't think anyone knows what happened for sure, or where it happened, but cameras on the street might or might not have ruled out Carters.

moshmosh
28-Feb-05, 17:24
As I was down by the riverside today on an art project I found a security camera on a wall in amongst trees opposite a bench, what a waste of money, why not have just put it on the high street, such a waste of money putting it there.

katarina
28-Feb-05, 22:07
first i heard of a security camera being at the riverside. Mind you, I can well imagin some of the illegal activities that go on down there, so it might not be such a bad idea after all.

philupmaboug
01-Mar-05, 13:38
Moshmosh, is that the one attached to the police station? if so I would think its there for a reason.

katarina
01-Mar-05, 15:18
Can anyone tell me why individuals or shop keepers can't install cctv for their own protection? If the problem of the council not installing them is money, surely this would be a compromise and should be welcomed rather than banned? Another instance of the law being an ass!
I read about a householder who videoed thugs that had been making her life a misery for months, and the tape was not allowed in evidence because part of a public footpath showed up on the tape!!!!