PDA

View Full Version : strange hyperlink question

daviddd
16-Jan-07, 23:33
When I send someone a hyperlink in an e-mail it is sent 'doubled' or even quadrupled e.g. 'joe@xxx.xx.xx'/joe@xxx.xx.xx' etc.

Anyone know how I can stop this? The recipient obviously can't open this...

jamieS
16-Jan-07, 23:44
Once you have typed the web address in you can right click on the hyperlink and choose edit address, this way you can make sure that it has only been specified once.
If this is not the case could you let us know what email application you are currently using.

daviddd
17-Jan-07, 12:26
Once you have typed the web address in you can right click on the hyperlink and choose edit address, this way you can make sure that it has only been specified once.
If this is not the case could you let us know what email application you are currently using.OK, but I'm using Outlook (not Express)

blueivy
17-Jan-07, 12:59
When I send someone a hyperlink in an e-mail it is sent 'doubled' or even quadrupled e.g. 'joe@xxx.xx.xx'/joe@xxx.xx.xx' etc.

Anyone know how I can stop this? The recipient obviously can't open this...

If you are sending an HTML message and it's being converted into text only at the other side it usually converts the hyperlinks so that they appear twice if the hyperlink text is the same as the hyperlink itself.

For example if you you have www.blueivy.co.uk (http://www.blueivy.co.uk) as the TEXT and www.blueivy.co.uk (http://www.blueivy.co.uk) as the HYPERLINK to that text (which is what happens if you simply type a URl into an email - it's converted automatically and the text and the hyperlink are both the same) then at the other end it may show up twice but one will usually by surrounded by < and >.

daviddd
17-Jan-07, 21:00
sorry Blueivy, but I haven't a clue what you mean! Are my settings wrong? I'm using Outlook.

blueivy
17-Jan-07, 21:04
sorry Blueivy, but I haven't a clue what you mean! Are my settings wrong? I'm using Outlook.

I did think it wasn't coming across very clearly.

I don't think there is anything wrong at your end, but once it leaves your PC it may be being converted. What is the other person using to read the mail and is he reading it as an HTML message or a text message?

Generally when you type a message in Outlook or Outlook Express it composes it as an HTML message which allows you to use colours, fonts and hyperlinks just like a webpage does. If you convert it to standard text it gets rid of all of that (as a plain text messages doesn't have colours and fonts, just text).