PDA

View Full Version : Book on the Isle of Stroma

jackie
25-Feb-05, 14:46
I was wondering if anyone knows about a book that was published on the Isle of Stroma and its inhabitants? Cannot seem to find anything listed on the net, but I don't know the proper title of it either.
Thanx for any help anyone can give
Jackie

donsimpson
25-Feb-05, 21:30
Hi Jackie

How you doing.I've had my name on Amazon for about a year and a half now looking for a used copy but no luck.Catherine was talking about trying to get it republished in a limited quantity.She needs enough people interested to make it worthwhile.Haven't more about it in awhile.

Don

Bill Fernie
26-Feb-05, 01:36
I have had mmy name down for a second hand copy at D R Simpsons newsagents in Wick for about three years. There is waiting list even for a second hand copy. I think now is the time to try for a reprint as there is a pent up demand for this book.

jackie
26-Feb-05, 03:28
HI Don and Bill,
Catherine Byrne had put me on a list to get this book reprinted, I had been in contact with someone from Wales that is connect to the Simpson's of Wick and he was reading the book while he was visiting his cousin. I wonder if anyone in Caithness that has a copy of it would be willing to do lookups. Any thoughts on that? Let me know.
Jackie

trinkie
26-Feb-05, 10:02
I would certainly buy a copy - please keep us informed !

F

Moira
27-Feb-05, 00:54
Have any of you tried enquiring at the Wick or Thurso libraries about this book. Maybe you already have - just thought I would stick my oar in and suggest it. Though I do not have any particular interest in the book you are trying to locate, I have found that Wick Library & Archives are particularly helpful with this type of thing. Worth a try anyway - they certainly have "bent over backwards" for me on many an occasion.

You can search the library records yourself now using the following link:-

http://www.libraries.highland.gov.uk/TalisPrism/

Good Luck

jackie
04-Mar-05, 14:24
Thanks Moira I will try that. Don't mind you sticking your oar in at all.
:D
jackie

Bill Mackay
06-Mar-05, 20:26
Hi Jackie,
I don't know the name of the book you are looking for but I have a book called "12 Light Years" by Margaret Aitken who was the wife of the Lighthouse Keeper. The book was published in 1988, went out of print and was republished in 2002. ISBN No. 1 84158 223 9
I think Margaret Aitken also wrote the "Island of Stroma" which is still out of print
Hope this helps
Bill

jackie
06-Mar-05, 20:39
Thanks Bill I will see what that book is about.
Jackie

katarina
01-Apr-05, 20:55
I have had mmy name down for a second hand copy at D R Simpsons newsagents in Wick for about three years. There is waiting list even for a second hand copy. I think now is the time to try for a reprint as there is a pent up demand for this book.

definately a demand! I'm sure I could move at least 100 copies! and twelve light years can be bought on amazon.

Jenni
05-Apr-05, 18:56
Hi there
I was wondering if the book you are referring to is called "Stroma" by Donald Young. We bought a copy when they were first published and several were being sold at the annual Stroma gathering. The author Donald Young was there and we were lucky enough to get him to sign it for us. My husbands family are from Stroma and are mentioned in the book many times and so it is a wonderful keepsake for us. Like most of you have mentioned though, they are becoming very rare indeed.

Donald Harper
13-Apr-07, 19:42
Hi Jackie,
This book issued in 1992 by North of Scotland Newspapers, Wick has an ISBN number of 1 871704 07 3. I have a copy and would be willing to undertake some look-ups if you pass on the details you are seeking

Regards

Don harper

Jenni
13-Apr-07, 21:58
I have a couple of copies of the Stroma book. I have a signed hard back copy which I would keep to pass to my children but I may have a couple of paper back copies that I would possibly sell. I managed to buy these off ebay a couple of years ago and had to pay more than the original price for them. If anyone is interested please let me know.

Bill Mackay
15-Apr-07, 11:14
Hi Jenni,
I would definitely like to buy a copy of the Stroma book if you still have one. My email address is bmackay@blueyonder.co.uk
Thanks
Bill