PDA

View Full Version : Think we've got it bad?

~~Tides~~
24-Feb-05, 23:48
After all the 'greetin' on GMTV and the like about "Britains Blizzard", take a look at some photos I got sent from Canadia (newfoundland) today:

http://home.btconnect.com/richardsgarage/tomrichard/photostorage/ice_canada.jpg

http://home.btconnect.com/richardsgarage/tomrichard/photostorage/ice_canada3.jpg

http://home.btconnect.com/richardsgarage/tomrichard/photostorage/ice_canada2.jpg
Anyone got a can of De-icer?[/img]

Whitewater
24-Feb-05, 23:58
Brilliant photos Tides - Makes me feel cold looking at them

Brrrrr!!

Tugmistress
25-Feb-05, 16:01
WOW, they are stunning.... anymore?

~~Tides~~
25-Feb-05, 17:20
Nope, thats all. :(

George Brims
25-Feb-05, 22:11
I don't know if that's from St Johns, Newfoundland, but I remember a news item from that city a few years ago. They had so much snow there one winter that the farms where they used to dump the snow cleared from the streets couldn't take any more, so they were forced to truck it out to some headland and dump it in the sea. Their total snowfall for the year was approaching sixty feet! That kind of total is common in ski resorts on high mountains but at sea level it's just ridiculous.

2little2late
25-Feb-05, 22:32
And the U.K. is virtually at a standstill with a tiny flutter of snow. I'ts about time we learned how other continents managed.

MadPict
26-Feb-05, 22:33
For once if you phoned work and told them you couildn't get into your car due to icing they couldn't disbelieve you... :lol:

Moira
27-Feb-05, 01:10
Wow - looks like they were frozen, thawed & frozen again - all in a very short time. Photos are fab. Good to know we are not so bad off after all.

Mmmm .. still felt pretty chilly here the other morning when I ran out to start the car up, so's the windscreen would be defrosted by the time I had breakfast & dried my hair. Would have had to get up in the middle of the night to sort that van out though ! :eek:

MadPict
27-Feb-05, 10:55
That thaw-freeze-thaw look is just down to the sheets of freezing sea water continually landing on the cars - this is what can sink ships if it isn't removed from superstructures - it makes them top heavy and they capsize.
I'm sure a nautical type will confirm or deny this....

katarina
28-Feb-05, 17:19
I got some wonderful photos of Boston but don't know how to post them on here.[/img]

donss
02-Mar-05, 21:22
I got some wonderful photos of Boston but don't know how to post them on here.[/img]

Hey: e-mail them to me and I'll post them here for you.... :p

2little2late
20-Mar-05, 20:25
Nice try ~~Tides~~ take a look at this everyone. Follow this link. http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/icestorm.asp

Origins: These pictures of cars, boats, trees, and other landscape features encrusted with ice from severe cold weather began circulating on the Internet in late January 2005, accompanied by viewer-added comments such as "Now this is what I'd call really cold...brrrrrrrrr"; "Sure glad that it doesn't get this cold here"; "So, How cold was it?"; and "Next time you're complaining while scraping the ice off your windscreen, think again!"

Various e-mailed versions of these photos claim such different origins for them as "From a recent Massachusetts storm with hurricane-speed winds" to "Pictures from Lake Geneva, Switzerland — January 2005." The latter is correct, as these pictures correspond to other photographs and news accounts of a freezing storm that hit the area of Lake Léman (also known as Lake Geneva), Switzerland, in January 2005. One news account, for example, reported that:
The cold did not save sailing ships moored in the ports of Léman. In Geneva, several boats sank under the weight of the ice. Several minor roads were closed, passage having been made impossible by the ice and the snowdrifts. In downtown Geneva, Servette Street was closed after the rupture of a water pipeline transformed the roadway into a true skating rink.
These images also correspond to similar photos on a web site which identifies them as pictures of Lake Léman, taken on 26 January 2005. (Presumably the objects shown have been coated with spray from waves breaking on the lake's shore, which then hardened into a solid coating in the sub-freezing temperatures.) The translated title of this French-language page is "Wind and ice on Geneva," and the text notes that the pictures were taken on the shores of Lake Léman during winds gusting up to 110 km/h.