PDA

View Full Version : New Chart Rules - Whats your opinion?

moncur
16-Jan-07, 14:30
What is everyones opinion on the new chart rules?

I think its a good thing. I might even start listening to the charts again because anything could crop up in the charts.

Basically for those who don't know:

Quote From BBC Website:
Album tracks, B-sides and golden oldies could enter the top 40 when chart rules are changed on 1 January.

The shake-up means that any download will count towards the top 75, even if it is not available on the high street.
CD singles will also be allowed extra tracks and extended running times to help them compete with downloads.
"This new ruling changes the nature of a single and puts the consumer in the driving seat," said Steve Redmond, director of the UK Official Charts Company. "Literally any track can be a hit - as long as it sells enough."

midi2304
16-Jan-07, 17:29
Seriously, who cares these days? The only reason they've made these changes is because people don't care about the chart anymore.

And don't bother with the argument that people do care because single sales are up. That has absolutely nothing to do with it. The very fact that golden oldies are making it into the chart shows that people couldn't care less what is 'current' in the charts. The charts are very much irrelevant these days and it won't be long until we see singles sales stop completely in shops I think.

DarkAngel
16-Jan-07, 22:06
I used to love listnin to the Top 40 charts and then i got sick of it, I now love listnin to the top 10. Im one for downloadin chart songs from the net. I cant remember when i last bought single from woolies or any other store. Think alot more people are downloadning songs these day as nearly every house hold has Internet access, Think more people are chosing to buy songs online now!:)

midi2304
17-Jan-07, 15:21
I used to love listnin to the Top 40 charts and then i got sick of it, I now love listnin to the top 10. Im one for downloadin chart songs from the net. I cant remember when i last bought single from woolies or any other store. Think alot more people are downloadning songs these day as nearly every house hold has Internet access, Think more people are chosing to buy songs online now!:)

lol - I think it's just amazing that people actually pay to download music online when it is so easy to download for free.