PDA

View Full Version : 350 cash in hand for delivery

Deadmans Sunshine
27-Apr-13, 17:28
Looking for someone to pick up some metal work and wood and rope from Essex. Pm if you or anyone you know interested limited time offer

spurtle
27-Apr-13, 21:07
try anyvan.com - they're really good and much cheaper alternative

Deadmans Sunshine
27-Apr-13, 21:19
Tried and that's what it's costing me. I'm looking for someone local so I know they coming back lol and I would rather the money went local. I'm willing to go to 400 cash as I say limited offer.

secrets in symmetry
27-Apr-13, 22:08
Looking for someone to pick up some metal work and wood and rope from Essex. Pm if you or anyone you know interested limited time offerAre you building a hangman's scaffold or a guillotine?

mi16
27-Apr-13, 22:10
No one is going to make a special run for £400, youre talking a 1,400 mile trip there.
I think my van would chew near £400 in fuel alone let alone the 24hrs on the road.
You might be lucky and get a punter that is going that way anyway though.

Deadmans Sunshine
27-Apr-13, 22:37
i got a guy coming up for 350, and originally i had hired a van at 78 for the day and petrol was 200. i just thought i would offer the job to someone here instead of essex. cheers anyway. offer is over on monday as i will have to give it to the essex courier. i have had a few offers from essex to come up for cash in hand at 350, i cant understand why locals wouldnt be as enthusiastic. oh well, was only trying to support the local community.

Deadmans Sunshine
27-Apr-13, 22:44
its a wrestling ring secrets in symmetry lol

pig whisperer
27-Apr-13, 22:55
Might it be cheaper to buy the items here, supporting the local community, reduce your carbon footprint, cost of the fuel would nearer £500 it wouldnt be just a day either at least 36 hrs so £350 cash in hand isnt going to help any 'local'

Deadmans Sunshine
27-Apr-13, 23:03
look i got fuel quotes etc etc. i tried to get everything local but prices were a little too extreme. typical org mentality also you know of an engineer and metal worker that knows how to build a 16foot shock absorbent ring then be my guest, i offer cash and i get criticised questioned and nothing but negativity. im very dissapointed that this once strong community website has fallen to non stop arguing and negativity. offer retracted and done with this website.

secrets in symmetry
27-Apr-13, 23:13
its a wrestling ring secrets in symmetry lolLol!

look i got fuel quotes etc etc. i tried to get everything local but prices were a little too extreme. typical org mentality also you know of an engineer and metal worker that knows how to build a 16foot shock absorbent ring then be my guest, i offer cash and i get criticised questioned and nothing but negativity. im very dissapointed that this once strong community website has fallen to non stop arguing and negativity. offer retracted and done with this website.I didn't think your offer was crazy. There might have been someone coming up here from down there this week.

mi16
28-Apr-13, 07:05
i got a guy coming up for 350, and originally i had hired a van at 78 for the day and petrol was 200. i just thought i would offer the job to someone here instead of essex. cheers anyway. offer is over on monday as i will have to give it to the essex courier. i have had a few offers from essex to come up for cash in hand at 350, i cant understand why locals wouldnt be as enthusiastic. oh well, was only trying to support the local community.

£200 will buy you around 32 gallons of fuel at todays pirces.
The trip is nigh on 1400 miles which equates to 43.75mpg on you need to get, which is pretty optimistic for a large van.
You would need a minimum of two days van hire also so that cost would have doubled to £156, plus a nights hotel accommodation and meals etc say £100.
Lets assume the van is uber economical and you can manage on the £200 + £156 + £100 = £456.
To get any interest you would have needed to offer near £700 to cover the chaps time.

Anyway a courier business was always your best bet, glad you are sorted and I hope you get a smashing ring out of it.

secrets in symmetry
28-Apr-13, 15:00
Yes, a courier business, or a forum member in Essex who just might be on his way up here anyway. :cool:

starfish
28-Apr-13, 15:16
we have used pallett line in the past they were very good

jacko
28-Apr-13, 22:32
really cant see a van returning that mpg, i went to Devon three years ago (about 50/60 miles further than essex) in a vauxhall 1.6 sxi and the return trip was £200 in fuel. i know i could nt have done the return trip same day .maybe some could but i very much doubt it. i think even attempting it would be not only dangerous but insane,

Dadie
28-Apr-13, 22:55
If the time scale wasnt so tight you might have gotten a couple of offers from up here!
People going down with a load and a bit of spare room in the back of the van etc...

joxville
28-Apr-13, 23:11
Three weeks ago I drove from Hampshire to Thurso, with an overnight in Larbert to break up the journey, in my 2.0 litre Diesel Mondeo. It cost me £105 to fill it and, from what I *recall, I drove at an average of 54mph returning 53.3mg to cover 680 miles, wth enough fuel left for about 70 miles. I set the cruise control at 60mph because it was the first time I'd done such a long journey, (I usually only go as far as Central Belt area), and wanted to see how economical my car and driving style could be.

I have to be honest and say it was the most boring journey ever at that speed, and if it wasn't for the fact I had the luxury of staying overnight in Larbert, I'd probably have abandoned the idea and just driven as fast as I legally could, or could have got away with ;-) My guess is a van being heavier and not as fuel efficient would certainly cost a lot more, plus the driver would need to stop at some point for a decent sleep, so there wouldn't be much profit in it for him, (or her). As previously suggested, it would probably need to be someone living near Essex, (I'm about 90 mins away), who happened to own a van and was going to do the journey anyway, for there to be any profit in it. I'm glad you've got it sorted but thanks for thread, it certainly got some of us thinking. :-)

*I took pics of the digital display showing my fuel used, mph/mpg and remaining fuel. I've since deleted the pics from my phone, though I had a look on Facebook where I'd posted them but I've deleted them from there too, so the above figures may not be entirely accurate.