PDA

View Full Version : scrabster hamnavoe ferry out of action

alisdairchalmers
27-Apr-13, 06:16
http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/other/news-archive/

broken crank shaft in engine.

i am wanting to travel very soon and this hasnt been featured very well the website is saying find alternative means. tried to pm the donaldsons diary guy to get him to post it but no luck.

mi16
27-Apr-13, 06:32
Use the Pentalina instead.

captain chaos
27-Apr-13, 12:06
This is the pentland ferries website, ferry runs from Gills to St Margarets Hope,

http://www.pentlandferries.co.uk/

mi16
27-Apr-13, 12:15
Indeed, from Caithness to Orkney as does the Hamnivoe.
If you must travel from Scrabster to Stromness then best take a seat in the waiting room or charter a boat.

whizzy69
27-Apr-13, 22:02
With all the problems with the ferry crossings lately what do people think of the idea of flights between Wick and Kirkwall would there be a demand for it and what would you consider to be a reasonable price for a ticket ?

mi16
27-Apr-13, 22:05
Would be about £100 each way.

secrets in symmetry
27-Apr-13, 22:07
Would be about £100 each way.Is that for a car plus driver? :cool:

whizzy69
27-Apr-13, 22:12
I would say a return trip between £30 - £70 would be reasonable ?

mi16
27-Apr-13, 22:12
Is that for a car plus driver? :cool:

thats would be to get your bumcheeks on an aeroplane seat to the Orkney isles from Wick John o Groats (if the flight existed you understand).
I hear Eastern Airways are increasing the price of Wick to Aberdeen in the near future in a big way.

mi16
27-Apr-13, 22:13
I would say a return trip between £30 - £70 would be reasonable ?

Aye, in cloud cuckoo land.

secrets in symmetry
27-Apr-13, 22:17
thats would be to get your bumcheeks on an aeroplane seat to the Orkney isles from Wick John o Groats (if the flight existed you understand).
I hear Eastern Airways are increasing the price of Wick to Aberdeen in the near future in a big way.I know exactly what you meant lol.

whizzy69
27-Apr-13, 22:18
Well as far as Eastern Airways prices go it seems to be a job and a half to get a seat just now most flights are fully booked

mi16
28-Apr-13, 07:08
really, Monday morning and Friday afternoon are usually booked up a few weeks ahead but you can normally get one at other times OK.

laguna2
28-Apr-13, 11:53
Surely they should be putting on another ferry in place of the Hamnavoe as they do when she dry docks?

I thought they had a contract to honour.

mi16
28-Apr-13, 11:59
Surely they should be putting on another ferry in place of the Hamnavoe as they do when she dry docks?

I thought they had a contract to honour.

You can plan a dry dock, you cannot plan a broken crank.
I dont suppose they keep a spare ferry waiting for breakdowns.

laguna2
28-Apr-13, 12:04
At no point did I suggest that they could plan a break down.

I said "surely they should be putting on another ferry in place of the Hamnavoe" and used dry dock as an example of when they have done this. As far as I am aware the company have not announced when/if they will be providing a stand-in.

The operating company surely have a programme whereby they can either slot in a spare/hired ferry to continue the operation across the Pentland Firth at short notice in order to meet their commitments.

mi16
28-Apr-13, 12:31
At no point did I suggest that they could plan a break down.

I said "surely they should be putting on another ferry in place of the Hamnavoe" and used dry dock as an example of when they have done this. As far as I am aware the company have not announced when/if they will be providing a stand-in.

The operating company surely have a programme whereby they can either slot in a spare/hired ferry to continue the operation across the Pentland Firth at short notice in order to meet their commitments.

I doubt if they would have a "spare" ferry kicking about, they would need to charter a suitable vessel which wouldnt happen overnight.

laguna2
28-Apr-13, 12:38
I doubt if they would have a "spare" ferry kicking about, they would need to charter a suitable vessel which wouldnt happen overnight.

I apologise for daring to have an opinion on this subject.

I assume that you have many years of experience in this industry and knowledge of management of ships.

mi16
28-Apr-13, 12:48
I apologise for daring to have an opinion on this subject.

I assume that you have many years of experience in this industry and knowledge of management of ships.

I believe in the past they have chartered the Pentalina.

Ancient Mariner
28-Apr-13, 12:51
Hamnavoes operators have said they are checking extent of damage. I would presume that part of that checking will be sourcing a suitable replacement if she cannot be quickly put back in service. If it is just a bearing that has been 'run' then this could be reground insitu and oversize shells fitted. This would not take too long. If crankshaft is badly damaged then it may have to be replaced along with any collateral damage to other components and this could take some time as new crankshaft/components may not be readily available. Part of the weekends exercise will be deciding if another vessel is needed and if so how quickly they can get it into service. Northlink could have kept people better informed and perhaps made arrangements with Pentland Ferries to ensure travel between Orkney and Caithness can continue smoothly.

secrets in symmetry
28-Apr-13, 15:06
What happened to the idea of building a tunnel to Orkney? It seemed crazy at first, but the estimated cost was a lot less than I expected - assuming it wasn't a Holyrood type of estimate.

Mystical Potato Head
28-Apr-13, 17:57
I believe in the past they have chartered the Pentalina.

Really,when was this?

mi16
28-Apr-13, 18:04
Really,when was this?

My apologies it was the Hebridean Isles (Cal Mac) that ran the route whilst awaiting delivery of the Hamnivoe.

Tugmistress
28-Apr-13, 23:19
they also used one of the larger ships, the Hjaltland. Serco have made this route a joke! they have cut staff, they have cut service, they are supposed to be running a LIFELINE service - or that's what it is called as far as i know - and they have just about killed this route. Banksy will be rubbing his hands with glee.
It will be interesting to see what happens, the crank is broken i think i read somewhere, that's not an easy job, that may even be an engine in total bits job. It wont be done in a day or two as serco deemed spare parts to be a waste of money (although a crank may not have been kept as a spare anyway) so one will have to be sourced, purchased and shipped up. In reality serco ought to have a ship en-route to take over while repairs are done, we all know the hjaltland is capable of berthing on the pier (another problem is that the pier was built especially for the hamnavoe and it is not easy to find another ship that will fit, they had to have an extra mobile piece made for the norrona and even an extra piece is welded on to the ramp for the hjaltland!) so serco should be able to re route Hjaljtand and use that.

In my own experience serco haven't a clue.

Alrock
28-Apr-13, 23:36
In my own experience serco haven't a clue.

& to prove it... They employed me once... [lol]

Tugmistress
29-Apr-13, 13:05
Latest from their facebook page

Statement at 1230hrs on Monday 29 April 2013

Initial internal and independent assessments of the Hamnavoe ferry (which serves the Scrabster to Stromness Pentland Firth route), currently docked at Stromness, is that the crankshaft on the Starboard engine is irreparable. It will be up to four weeks before the Hamnavoe is back in service on the Pentland Firth crossing.

We are currently stripping the engine and developing a detailed project plan and timeline for the repair. We will publish this within the next 48 hours.

Our commercial team and independent brokers are also looking at the availability of temporary replacement vessels, as a matter of urgency.

In the meantime we are working with our passengers to arrange alternative options for this lifeline service in order to minimise disruption to their journey.

cptdodger
29-Apr-13, 18:08
This is from Doanalsin's Diary

"
Council concern over break in ferry service
Replacement to Hamnavoe must be a priority - convener

THE ferry service between Orkney and Scrabster is out of action due to mechanical problems.
The Hamnavoe has suffered a broken crankshaft problem and could be out of action for weeks as opposed to days.

Operator Serco Northlink has said there are no plans to bring in one of its other two ferries as a replacement.

This leaves Pentland Ferries as the sole operator across the firth, sailing from Gills Bay to St Margaret's Hope.
Orkney Island Council convener Steven Heddle said: "We have discussed the situation with Serco NorthLink Ferries at the highest level and we are also in contact with the Scottish government. We have made it clear that the council expects alternative arrangements to be put in place on the Stromness-Scrabster route as a matter of urgency."
He said there must not be an extended break in service on the route and added: "So far as the council is concerned, that would be totally unacceptable."

So, really, it appears Serco are not planning to get a replacement ferry any time soon. One thing they have to look at is - if people get used to using the other ferries while this one is under repair, will they go back to them once the problem is fixed? Getting a replacement should have been their number one priority.

pat
29-Apr-13, 19:12
Hope they are repaying the amount of subsidy received whilst this ferry is out of commission.
anyone could run a transport business when the government is footing the bill, there are no passengers or freight carried, crews being paid from the subsidies and much inconvenience to all but SERCO sitting quite happy taking the money from the government not worrying as to when they will get the ferry back running as it is only customers and businesses they are upsetting.
This is a LIFE LINE service and should be treated as such or give the contract to Banksie, he can run the business and obviously make a profit without the government subsidies.

Cal Mac ferries have been breaking down right left and centre lately so they do not obviously want to lend out their possible spare.

Have I missed a statement from the government on this non-running and what they are going to do, have questions been asked in any parliament?

mi16
29-Apr-13, 19:21
Hope they are repaying the amount of subsidy received whilst this ferry is out of commission.
anyone could run a transport business when the government is footing the bill, there are no passengers or freight carried, crews being paid from the subsidies and much inconvenience to all but SERCO sitting quite happy taking the money from the government not worrying as to when they will get the ferry back running as it is only customers and businesses they are upsetting.
This is a LIFE LINE service and should be treated as such or give the contract to Banksie, he can run the business and obviously make a profit without the government subsidies.

Cal Mac ferries have been breaking down right left and centre lately so they do not obviously want to lend out their possible spare.

Have I missed a statement from the government on this non-running and what they are going to do, have questions been asked in any parliament?

Was there not some problem with the new Pentalina that Scrabster to Stromness was not a viable option for them?

Tugmistress
29-Apr-13, 20:42
the main problem would be they wont fit on the ramp or be able to safely tie up on the pier.

sids
29-Apr-13, 21:04
He said there must not be an extended break in service on the route and added: "So far as the council is concerned, that would be totally unacceptable."

What are they going to do- leave, or just stamp their little foot?

whizzy69
29-Apr-13, 22:18
Wounder if any of the airlines will stand in and oparate a service from wick to kirkwall as alternative ?

Droopy
29-Apr-13, 23:08
Wounder if any of the airlines will stand in and oparate a service from wick to kirkwall as alternative ?It's a nightmare getting the car on the plane though.

alisdairchalmers
30-Apr-13, 05:28
Hamnavoe RepairsStatement at 1230hrs on Monday 29 April 2013
Initial internal and independent assessments of the Hamnavoe ferry (which serves the Scrabster to Stromness Pentland Firth route), currently docked at Stromness, is that the crankshaft on the Starboard engine is irreparable. It will be up to four weeks before the Hamnavoe is back in service on the Pentland Firth crossing.
We are currently stripping the engine and developing a detailed project plan and timeline for the repair. We will publish this within the next 48 hours.
Our commercial team and independent brokers are also looking at the availability of temporary replacement vessels, as a matter of urgency.

guess my holiday is screwed... going to gills wont work was staying at friends near where busted ferry docked

joxville
30-Apr-13, 07:14
guess my holiday is screwed... going to gills wont work was staying at friends near where busted ferry dockedDoesn't your friend drive and they could collect you or there might be a temporary bus service between St. Margaret's Hope and Stromness while the ferry is out of action. Or walk it, it'll do you good :-)

Tugmistress
30-Apr-13, 09:14
Hamnavoe RepairsStatement at 1230hrs on Monday 29 April 2013

guess my holiday is screwed... going to gills wont work was staying at friends near where busted ferry docked

It may be worth giving the call caentre a ring to see if Serco have been brainy enough to lay on a bus service for their foot passengers to use gills ferry? you never know :)

mi16
30-Apr-13, 09:31
It's a nightmare getting the car on the plane though.

Not to mention articulated lorry trailers.
Perhaps the US could lend us a C-17 Globemaster carrier plane to take up the slack.

orkneycadian
30-Apr-13, 21:12
...or there might be a temporary bus service between St. Margaret's Hope and Stromness while the ferry is out of action.

??? There might even be a permanent bus service between St Margarets Hope and Stromness, near as good as every hour, and meets every Pentland Ferries sailing. It even goes right to the head of the pier! You even have less yards to walk from bus to boat than you do with Not-Link

Just the same as at the Caithness side. A boat meeting every ferry.

joxville
30-Apr-13, 21:31
Even better since you say there's a permanent service, I was just guessing. Being Hampshire based I have no idea of public transport provisions for Caithness or Orkney, though I did use the Gills Bay ferry when I went to Orkney for a weeks camping five years ago.

Rheghead
30-Apr-13, 22:18
For £100 million we could have got a tunnel from JoG to South Ronaldsay. The Hamnavoe cost £50 million.

golach
30-Apr-13, 22:31
For £100 million we could have got a tunnel from JoG to South Ronaldsay. The Hamnavoe cost £50 million.

Even the trams down here are costing more Rheg :lol:

orkneycadian
30-Apr-13, 22:49
And for£0 of taxpayers money, we got the Pentalina.

cullpacket
01-May-13, 00:01
Isle of Wight have 1 million overnight visitors in a year, No tunnel, The Channel Tunnel cost 12 Billion, Don't think you would get the plans done for 100 M nowadays, After the P&O ownership it is government owned how can they lose ? Where there is money there is muck RBS? Hope the ship never returns and the Gills man prospers as he deserves !!

jimbews
01-May-13, 09:45
Isle of Wight have 1 million overnight visitors in a year, No tunnel, The Channel Tunnel cost 12 Billion, Don't think you would get the plans done for 100 M nowadays, After the P&O ownership it is government owned how can they lose ? Where there is money there is muck RBS? Hope the ship never returns and the Gills man prospers as he deserves !!

Interesting reading the contract announcement:
http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/news/Northern-Isles-ferry-contract-preferred-bidder

Given that the terms of this announcement are not being met, can we assume that a relevant share of the £ 243+ million over 6 years will be taken from Serco Northlink and passed to Pentland Ferries (on top of the extra fare revenue)?
Works out about £ 110,000 per DAY.

colingel
01-May-13, 19:01
Hamnavoe has now left Stromness heading for Roysth for repairs. Apparently replacement freight boat should be in place by Friday

jacko
01-May-13, 20:36
i imagine that this ferry is heavily subsidised with public money. if this is the case i think the owner s are failing in their commitments.
in that case a substitute should be implimented asap . i know fully well that, that may not be as easy as abc ,but surely some forethought would have been planned for this kind of setback????

Tugmistress
06-May-13, 10:25
As i have said since Serco took over, they are going to/have killed this route :(
No thought for it being a LIFELINE service, they cut staff, services, runs and most scary of all they don't seem to care!
I still feel they should have brought the Hjaltland down to cover this run as that ship fits these ramps and the passengers and freight would still be moving across the firth this way. The Hjaltland could have had another ship cover her run as their piers are less ship specific on her normal run. Instead they leave it a week and bring in a freight ship, shall we say i haven't seen that much coming off or going on her! In fact it has been about 7 years since i saw the Hamnavoe sail with no passengers or freight, that should give you a clue as to what use the freight ship is :(

golach
06-May-13, 10:49
As i have said since Serco took over, they are going to/have killed this route :(
No thought for it being a LIFELINE service, they cut staff, services, runs and most scary of all they don't seem to care!
I still feel they should have brought the Hjaltland down to cover this run as that ship fits these ramps and the passengers and freight would still be moving across the firth this way. The Hjaltland could have had another ship cover her run as their piers are less ship specific on her normal run. Instead they leave it a week and bring in a freight ship, shall we say i haven't seen that much coming off or going on her! In fact it has been about 7 years since i saw the Hamnavoe sail with no passengers or freight, that should give you a clue as to what use the freight ship is :(

And they have stppped serving toast at breakfast also, whats that all about???

Tugmistress
06-May-13, 12:10
And they have stppped serving toast at breakfast also, whats that all about???

penny pinching savings!

you
11-May-13, 12:17
[I] understand that Calmac hire out ferries - may be wrong though! If so, why haven't the firm hired one for Scrabster-Stromness crossing?

secrets in symmetry
11-May-13, 12:47
Even the trams down here are costing more Rheg :lol:Wait until they go to Dalkeith!

I would have thought Serco would be fined heavily (or perhaps even lose their contract) for failing to deliver the Lifeline service for which they are heavily subsidised by the state.

sids
11-May-13, 13:12
http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/other/news-archive/

broken crank shaft in engine.

Is it broken right through?

If it's just drooping a bit, there's a recently-joined Orger who will sell them something for that condition.

secrets in symmetry
11-May-13, 14:08
There was a photo in the press recently of the Hamnavoe steaming under the Forth Rail Bridge into Rosyth. She seemed to be steaming under her own power. It must be about 300 miles from Stromness to Rosyth, so she can't be completely broken.

golach
11-May-13, 14:34
There was a photo in the press recently of the Hamnavoe steaming under the Forth Rail Bridge into Rosyth. She seemed to be steaming under her own power. It must be about 300 miles from Stromness to Rosyth, so she can't be completely broken.

The Hamnavoe has two engines, they came south on one, making about 15knts, the normal speed is 23/24 knts, so you could say she was half broken.

secrets in symmetry
11-May-13, 14:40
The Hamnavoe has two engines, they came south on one, making about 15knts, the normal speed is 23/24 knts, so you could say she was half broken.I thought the answer would be something like that. Thanks golach. :cool:

Especially, for you - TRAMS (http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/transport/edinburgh-trams-plan-to-go-to-dalkeith-1-2925635)

pat
11-May-13, 22:04
A freight only ferry is only allowed to carry 12 passengers - including drivers of any vehicles. A passenger ferry is not allowed to leave port with only one engine when carrying passengers. It can leave port with crew on board with only one engine working. It is time that this Scottish government interfered in the situation and confronted this contractor who is NOT supplying the service as paid to provide.

Stack Rock
19-May-13, 21:39
Just had a look at AIS - the Hamnavoe has just passed under the forth road bridge and is homeward bound.

Stack Rock
20-May-13, 17:07
The ferry has now returned to Stromness but another problem has occurred resulting in another delay !!!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-22601160

orkneycadian
21-May-13, 18:02
For a good job, we have Pentland Ferries.

Torvaig
21-May-13, 21:47
And here's me thinking I was seeing it in Scrabster harbour!

orkneycadian
21-May-13, 21:52
I believe its over there getting fixed. Again.