PDA

View Full Version : 17 year olds are children

golach
26-Apr-13, 09:55
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/apr/25/police-17-custody-children-court

In England 17 year olds by law are children. Why then are the SNP treating Scottish 16 year olds as adults and giving them the vote? I suspect this is a cheap con, and a way of getting the children to vote yes.

mi16
26-Apr-13, 10:51
Because 16 year olds generally have not a clue about the world or life.
The will vote with their heart and not their head, they will vote for FREEDOM!!!!!
And heaven forbid if they are successful we will all forever pay the price.

Shaggy
26-Apr-13, 11:02
they will vote for FREEDOM!!!!!

Guess theres gonna be a mass hanging, drawing and quartering of youths shortly....

macadamia
26-Apr-13, 12:29
No need to worry - most of the kids have risen to the challenge, and their tendency is to use their learning - especially mathematics - to predict a variety of outcomes given either a "yes" or "no" vote. Be very afraid, "Yes" camp - the kids can count. The kids are alright!

In fact, they are the solid gold guarantee of all of our futures. So don't belittle them, otherwise I might just feel constrained to compare their "immature" attitudes with those witnessed daily at chucking out time at the "Sporran and Daisy", and its ilk - or a rundown of the Sheriff's Court Sagas in each week's "Groat", where REAL grown-ups are fined for behaving like spoilt brats.

Kodiak
26-Apr-13, 12:33
If you are old enough to get Married and take on all the Responsibility that this entails, then you are old enough to Vote. Since a person at the age of 16 can get Married in Scotland without Parents consent then they should be able to Vote in Scotland.

This is my opinion.

gerry4
26-Apr-13, 13:02
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/apr/25/police-17-custody-children-court

In England 17 year olds by law are children. Why then are the SNP treating Scottish 16 year olds as adults and giving them the vote? I suspect this is a cheap con, and a way of getting the children to vote yes.

Maybe it because we are not in England. Scotland has it own laws and for many years the age of majority here is 16. It has nothing to do with the SNP. Also Labour & LibDem UK parties want 16 year olds to have the vote in ALL elections. SNP also want it in Scotland but the Scottish Parliament does not have the powers to enact it.

That all major parties apart from the Torys want votes at 16 it seems odd that they objected to it for the referendum.

RecQuery
26-Apr-13, 13:18
Hey if you tax them and they're allow to work, marry, join the armed force, etc. Then they should be allowed to vote.

This is so obvious that even Tory Together have stopped talking about it, they've gone back to their usual nebulous economic the-sky-is-falling scare stories.

joxville
26-Apr-13, 15:43
I left school aged 16 and began working, and had I wanted to, I could have got married and had kids of my own, yet I wasn't allowed to vote. Also, when I was that age, I took an active interest in politics, I wanted to know more about the world around me, etc.; but now, with over thirty years experience since I left school, and learned that no matter who runs the country, I'm always going to be shafted by empty promises, that the lying toe rags get in, tax us to the hilt, make sure they are okay with their gilt edged taxpayer funded pensions, my dreams and hopes for a better country dashed, I've become a cynical old buzzard. So yes, give 16 year olds the vote, it's their country too, their future, let them have a say. The last two generations have screwed up the country as it is, and we could be screwing up their future even more, but you want to deny them a say in their future, I don't believe that's right. Let them have a say, we owe them that much.