PDA

View Full Version : Thatcher's funeral cost taxpayer £3.6m

cesare
25-Apr-13, 16:30
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22299372

wondering your views on this?

Green_not_greed
25-Apr-13, 16:34
From the BBC article it looks like the real cost to the taxpayer was £1.6M, as taxpayers would have paid the £2M cost of "opportunity" policing in any case.

jacko
25-Apr-13, 16:43
a waste of good money i say. her family should have planted her just like all of us would have to if it were our family .

there s plenty of DESERVING causes that could have done with that money.

orkneycadian
25-Apr-13, 17:27
Not 10 million then?

ducati
25-Apr-13, 17:41
Bargain of the year to date I'd say. A grand day out and an opportunity for the moaners to do what they like best. :D

mi16
25-Apr-13, 17:59
Came in £6.4m under budget then, well done all involved.

macadamia
25-Apr-13, 18:35
Fair dos - a bit less than the £10m, in the same way the "12 hour TV funeral" was a wee bit shorter. Never mind - truth is what you want it to be!

mi16
25-Apr-13, 18:41
A bit less!! try 64% less

tonkatojo
25-Apr-13, 18:42
Bargain of the year to date I'd say. A grand day out and an opportunity for the moaners to do what they like best. :D

Aye to the Thatchers all they paid for was the flowers, still never mind.

Rheghead
25-Apr-13, 18:47
Thatcher was supposedly a woman of principle. The cost is irrelevant. The principle is that in her world, the person, not the State pays for their own funeral costs.

mi16
25-Apr-13, 18:52
Aye to the Thatchers all they paid for was the flowers, still never mind.

Dont forget the undertaker costs.

mi16
25-Apr-13, 18:53
Thatcher was supposedly a woman of principle. The cost is irrelevant. The principle is that in her world, the person, not the State pays for their own funeral costs.

Did she go on record making that statement?

orkneycadian
25-Apr-13, 19:54
Not too bad then. In the absence of any comments to correct an assumption otherwise, on another thread, it looks like Scotlands funeral will cost us £140 billion (plus another £13.3 million to decide if we are having a funeral or not)

mi16
25-Apr-13, 20:00
Not too bad then. In the absence of any comments to correct an assumption otherwise, on another thread, it looks like Scotlands funeral will cost us £140 billion (plus another £13.3 million to decide if we are having a funeral or not)

Should that not be the murder of Scotland?

orkneycadian
25-Apr-13, 20:02
No - Haven't you heard? We are abolishing the term "murder" in case it offends anyone who might possibly have put an end to someone elses life, but then again, maybe haven't, you just can't tell for sure...

equusdriving
26-Apr-13, 09:47

yes that certainly makes it look "cheap as chips" :D

Humerous Vegetable
26-Apr-13, 14:53
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22299372

wondering your views on this?

This will be the carefully edited amount from the Tories then, who should be paying the entire amount from their party coffers, as they appear to be the only people who wanted this circus....and their friends the LibDems of course. Who asked the taxpayer whether they wanted to contribute? A big NOBODY as per.
The sooner we leave this one-sided union the better. We might get to decide what we want to spend our hard-earned on what benefits us, for a change. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN7NfF73AHs

mi16
26-Apr-13, 16:14
I am delighted to pay pay share of the costs, heck I will even chip in the wife and kids share also.

ducati
26-Apr-13, 16:27
This will be the carefully edited amount from the Tories then, who should be paying the entire amount from their party coffers, as they appear to be the only people who wanted this circus....and their friends the LibDems of course. Who asked the taxpayer whether they wanted to contribute? A big NOBODY as per.
The sooner we leave this one-sided union the better. We might get to decide what we want to spend our hard-earned on what benefits us, for a change. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN7NfF73AHs

I'll cough up a substantial amount for AS.

Humerous Vegetable
26-Apr-13, 17:06
I am delighted to pay pay share of the costs, heck I will even chip in the wife and kids share also.

Well, good for you. I doubt if you will find many of the Scottish electorate supporting your view but, I get the impression that the indigenous opinion is not one of any interest to the Tory/LibDem government and their aperantniks and that they hold any sway over those of us who they are supposed to represent.
It's all grist to the mill, so thanks for that.