PDA

View Full Version : Wood Burning Heating Systems

stevep
15-Jan-07, 21:12
Does anybody have any views/preferences for wood burning range cookers that we would also require for our central heating and hot water? There seem to be a lot on the market and I was just wondering if anybody out there had any experiences either good or bad?

Also looking into wood burners.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

donnalee1994
15-Jan-07, 22:33
I think wood burners are a very good idea if you no where to get cheap wood from or apply for a logging licence and then you can get as much as you want,very effiecent and very cheap to run and very warm dont no about arga style cooker never had 1

Sapphire2803
15-Jan-07, 23:22
Personally, I wouldn't limit it to a wood burning cooker. I'd go for multifuel, wood doesn't provide as much heat as anthracite. If you're going to run central heating you may find that a wood only cooker just doesn't keep the house warm enough in winter. It's always good to keep your options open anyway.
We have a multi fuel Rayburn royal in the kitchen, it's probably about 30 years old and it struggles to heat all the radiators, the new ones are much better at this. Agas do not heat radiators and I think they only burn oil. Stanley cookers are a cheaper option and having lived in a few houses with Stanley cookers over the years, I would definitely recommend them.
If price is a consideration, then the best bet is a Broseley/Nordica Thermo Rosa. At £1600 or thereabouts. This is what we've decided on to replace our ageing Rayburn. I honestly couldn't tell you how good they are, but they are about half the price of the cheapest of the others.

Sapphire2803
15-Jan-07, 23:25
I think wood burners are a very good idea if you no where to get cheap wood from or apply for a logging licence and then you can get as much as you want,very effiecent and very cheap to run and very warm dont no about arga style cooker never had 1

A logging licence??
Never heard of that, sounds good. Where do you get one and what can you chop down? :)

fred
15-Jan-07, 23:42
A logging licence??
Never heard of that, sounds good. Where do you get one and what can you chop down? :)

Other people do the cutting down and cut the tops and the branches off the trees, load the logs on lorries and cart them away. You get to go in and help yourself to what is left.

Try the Forestry Commission but I think they are more interested in people who want to clear an entire patch rather than just take a bit to keep a Rayburn going.

stevep
15-Jan-07, 23:42
The logging licence sounds like a really good idea.

Errogie
15-Jan-07, 23:55
You can get a licence from the Forestry Commission to scavenge wood from a cut plantation for 6 months for twenty pounds but you're not a allowed to use a power saw without having passed a test of competence. the wood you get is likely to be lodgepole pine or sitka spruce which is all right when dry but nowhere near as hot as good hardwoods such as birch, beech, oak and other species. You can also pay someone to deliver wood to your door but its not as satisfying.

To burn wood effectively you've got to have a good drying shed and it should preferrably be under cover for at least a year. Wet wood uses half its energy just drying itself out. And always remember there are two heats in wood the first is when you collect it! To run a cooker and heating system entirely on wood takes a lot of work, dedication and organisation. A system which can burn everything from peat to furnacite gives you more flexibility. There is a whole area of expertise in keeping the chimney clean and avoiding tars and a serious risk of fires in the flue if it is not A1. Burning wood as your main fuel is not a light hearted proposition. It's another matter just running a small stove at weekends or evenings as back up but all of the same points apply on a lesser scale.

I've had two multi fuel rayburns and am currently on a Bosky stove doing 6 radiators, hot water and some secondary cooking plus a Charnwood cast iron stove. When the Bosky packs in will look for something more up to date but ideally should be capable of burning any solid fuel. A good going wood stove is a delight to behold but don't underestimate the work to keep it going.

daviddd
16-Jan-07, 10:49
North Highland Forest Trust, Forsinain, will deliver to Thurso area and mid-Caithness for around £55 a lorry load (around a tonne I would guess) - some of the logs are too thick for my stove but they split easily.

cuddlepop
16-Jan-07, 10:52
A logging licence??
I think these use to or still are called scavengers tickets.Contact the Forestry Commission in your area,they'll tell you what to do.

paris
16-Jan-07, 15:52
When we lived in lybster we got a logging licence from brora. Ithink it was about £33 per yr and yes you can collect as much leftovers as you want and belive me we used to get truck loads, ok so its hard work but can be loads of fun as well . Poo and her hubby used to come as well, boy did we giggle when boots were lost in the thick mud and falling over in the streams !! I sure miss having fun like that . I had a Range ( wood burning ) here in lincs and it did all the heating, hot water and cooking, would def have one again. jan x