PDA

View Full Version : Ice Tech Demise

rob murray
24-Apr-13, 12:06
CASTLETOWN freezer firm, Icetch, has gone into liquidation with the loss of around 70 jobs. That was confirmed yesterday by owners John G Russell which took over the former Norfrost business, in 2005, investing over £8 million. A spokesman for the Glasgow-based transport company, described the loss of the well-established business as “a major blow to Caithness”.

Sad loss of jobs in a community facing a slow gradual decline : hope that the workers can get / find some other work !

mi16
24-Apr-13, 18:25
And so the evolution into a ghost county continues.

Penelope Pitstop
24-Apr-13, 19:30
No, I don't think Thurso will be a ghost town anyway mi16. Think things are looking up with news released today about Scrabster.

Kodiak
24-Apr-13, 21:34
No, I don't think Thurso will be a ghost town anyway mi16. Think things are looking up with news released today about Scrabster.

Can you please elucidate.

cptdodger
24-Apr-13, 21:55
Can you please elucidate. I think it is this Penelope's referring to -

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/NorSea-deal-to-create-jobs-at-Scrabster-24042013.htm

mi16
24-Apr-13, 22:05

I hope your right, but I fear you are wrong.

Penelope Pitstop
25-Apr-13, 09:07
Yeah that's the news I was referring to cptdodger. :)

This is a big deal for the local community with the tremendous amount of work happening, and yet to happen, West of Shetland. Not to mention the renewables. Who knows, maybe Scrabster will some day become a mini Aberdeen !!

mi16
25-Apr-13, 10:03
We have been hearing the "mini Aberdeen" statement for as long as I can remember.
With the exception of more shipping traffic in Scrabster, I cannot see where we will see a boost locally from the West of Shetland exploration work.
Its not like we can dock a jackup and refit it in Caithness anywhere.

rob murray
25-Apr-13, 16:09
Mi 16 spot on, renewables...watch this space meygen have considerable changed their game plan and as for the rest havent heard a dickie bird !

mi16
25-Apr-13, 18:34
The last I heard, Orkney were head and shoulders in front of Caithness in gearing up for the tidal projects.

Jerrico
29-Apr-13, 14:50
With Comet going bust owning Icetech Freezer’s money, also competing with China making better quality products at cheaper price, John Russell’s lack of interest in the factory as freezer production facility it was inevitable Icetech Freezer‘s would follow the same demise as Comet.

mi16
29-Apr-13, 14:59
WithComet going bust owning Icetech Freezer’s money, also competing with Chinamaking better quality products at cheaper price, John Russell’s lack ofinterest in the factory as freezer production facility it was inevitableIcetech Freezer‘s would follow the same demise as Comet.

Well if as you say their producs were not of the top quality then going under was always going to happen.

Rheghead
29-Apr-13, 15:28
Did Alex Salmond mention there was the possibility of a rescue package?

Jerrico
29-Apr-13, 17:09
Did Alex Salmond mention there was the possibility of a rescue package?

Possibility of a rescue package from Alex Salmond, sounds like a tactic to win hearts and minds, SNP rhetoric has already won hearts and minds of poorly educated Icetech workers, soon they won’t be blaming London for there misfortune and everything else they’ll be blaming Edinburgh!

laguna2
29-Apr-13, 18:02
I really do not think you should be calling Icetech workers "poorly educated"!!!!!

mi16
29-Apr-13, 18:36
I really do not think you should be calling Icetech workers "poorly educated"!!!!!

I have worked with some decent guys that came out of Norfrost / Icetech

Shaggy
29-Apr-13, 22:24
poorly educated Icetech workers

aye Jerrico, keep it up, just like the rest of the planks on the org, slag the poor guy off and kick him when he is down....the org at its best!
'

snow tiger
30-Apr-13, 16:00
I would never class ex norfrost workers poorly educated I myself worked at norfrost for 13 years, and many off us moved on to bigger and better things.

Kevin Milkins
01-May-13, 03:03
I bought an Icetech freezer this year and thought it to be of good quality and a very reasonable price, it wasn't until I read the instructions that I noticed it was produced in Castletown.

It's a huge shame to see such a large employer come to an end. Good luck to all the workforce in getting new employment.

Even Chance
01-May-13, 08:21
I was there for 6 very happy years. The place was good to its staff. Free transport, meals, uniforms. It had some good people employed there. There were of course some pure neep heids also![lol]

The problem in the first place was the quality of the freezers alright. Granty made them that well that they just didnt break down. There are many old/original examples still running away happily in sheds and garages in Caithness and indeed all over the world.

Very sad to see the end of an era. I was delighted to see myself on the news the other night though, when they showed clips from the mid/late 90's when it was in its heyday. Times have definately changed!

jeremiahbalbag
01-May-13, 14:26
Possibility of a rescue package from Alex Salmond, sounds like a tactic to win hearts and minds, SNP rhetoric has already won hearts and minds of poorly educated Icetech workers, soon they won’t be blaming London for there misfortune and everything else they’ll be blaming Edinburgh! This comment sounds like its from a former Norfrost/Icetech maintenance engineer with his head up his butt a total idiot, I always felt when working at Norfrost/Icetech maintenance staff looked down on us production workers as some kind of subhuman species because we didn't have a trade or any qualified skills, I tell you what we worked harder than those lazy grease monkey’s!

jacko
01-May-13, 14:44
all the bickering and sarcasm wont help those who lost their jobs. i think it s a shame that the company went belly up. and i wish the former employee,s well in their search for alternative employment. i think the company had a good product , guess it s the resession, and the remoteness of caithness ... they tried.

Even Chance
01-May-13, 15:12
This comment sounds like its from a former Norfrost/Icetech maintenance engineer with his head up his butt a total idiot, I always felt when working at Norfrost/Icetech maintenance staff looked down on us production workers as some kind of subhuman species because we didn't have a trade or any qualified skills, I tell you what we worked harder than those lazy grease monkey’s!

You can be assured that not all the maintenence guys looked down on the shop floor staff. To me, they were the most valuable resource as they knew the operation of the machine better than anyone else.
My first task when attending a breakdown was always to ask the operator what the fault/problem was. Their input was invaluable!

focusRS
01-May-13, 19:08
This comment sounds like its from a former Norfrost/Icetech maintenance engineer with his head up his butt a total idiot, I always felt when working at Norfrost/Icetech maintenance staff looked down on us production workers as some kind of subhuman species because we didn't have a trade or any qualified skills, I tell you what we worked harder than those lazy grease monkey’s!I was one of those "lazy grease monkey's!" and I find your comment utterly ridiculous. 2 of my best "lazy grease monkey" friends from the toolroom married lassies from the production line, my mother was a line worker along with my sister and my father maintained/painted the lorries. Nobody that worked under the Grant's could be considered lazy and nobody from my time in the toolroom (1997-2004) looked down on production workers.

Jerrico
01-May-13, 19:31
Possibility of a rescue package from Alex Salmond, sounds like a tactic to win hearts and minds, SNP rhetoric has already won hearts and minds of poorly educated Icetech workers, soon they won’t be blaming London for there misfortune and everything else they’ll be blaming Edinburgh!

On hindsight I apologise for this post it was truly unacceptable and stupid, I’m very sorry!

secrets in symmetry
01-May-13, 23:16
I was saddened to hear about all the job losses. It's not the workers' fault.

My mate worked up at Norfrost many years ago, and he has fond memories of Pat. What happened to her? Where did she go?

mi16
02-May-13, 10:11
Off into the horizon, a very wealthy woman.
And who can blame her?

climber
03-May-13, 20:07
On hindsight I apologise for this post it was truly unacceptable and stupid, I’m very sorry! I should think so!!!!!

secrets in symmetry
04-May-13, 00:08
Off into the horizon, a very wealthy woman.
And who can blame her?Did she go west by any chance? :cool:

billmoseley
04-May-13, 18:36
Did she go west by any chance? :cool: not every woman comes west S I S looking for me lololol

secrets in symmetry
05-May-13, 01:02
not every woman comes west S I S looking for me lolololMaybe Violet will go west one day - and you can keep her entertained until I get there. :cool:

I read in yesterday's Groat that there may be a lifeline for Icetech. Let's hope....

rob murray
08-May-13, 11:59
Add MTDS to the tale of recent closure local disasters, seemingly theres plenty work down in Nigg / Global : how many folk will be forced to leave the county for work now ?? Wheres the wave / tidal / saudia arabia of the north, white knight....lost in the post !

mi16
08-May-13, 12:51
I dont think MTDS are closed, yet!
Strong rumour that Roy macgreggor is planning a taking up the slack there.

Out of interest, how many times has Norfrost / Icetech gone out of business in ist various different guise's over the years?