PDA

View Full Version : Cichlids (Advice please)

shazzap
23-Apr-13, 11:10
Anyone have Cichlids. When doing a partial change of water, how much do I take out, what do I add to the water
If I wanted to add more sand, would I have to empty the tank to do so.
Do I need to add anything regularly to the water.
What is the best food to feed them and how much. My tank is 5ftx18in, don't know how many litres, as was bought second hand. I have about 25 Cichlids plus the Plec and Catfish. I am frightened I overfeed them, I have the Algae Wafers and some Cichlid floating feed, also a general fish food. How many wafers and floating pellets or pinches of fish food would you put in, at each feed. I have also been told Spirulina is good.

kmorrell
23-Apr-13, 11:37
What kind of cichlids are they? And you should be doing a 40% water change so nearly half the tank. When changes water always add tap safe to remove all the nasty stuff that kills them. My plec eats two algae wafers every 2nd day and wha kind of catfish?

shazzap
23-Apr-13, 13:48
I was told Malawi, and I don't know what catfish it is. I am going to get a book on them, so I can identify. Will get some photos on later.

kmorrell
23-Apr-13, 17:37
Malawi cichlids need high protien food you can find cichlid pellets at pets at home the catfish should just eat whatever is left from the other fish though if your worried its not getting any food drop some food in by it and turn off the lights most catfish prefer dark as well as the plec though you can eventully trian them to like the light :) feed the cichlid as much as they can eat in 5 mins then remove any left over the plec will need much longer to eat :) P.s plecs love cucmber you will need to boil it for about 6 mins then drop it in

shazzap
23-Apr-13, 17:41
Thank you Kmorrell.

kmorrell
23-Apr-13, 18:50
If ya ever need any more help :)