PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Vote

piratelassie
22-Apr-13, 00:33
Do you want a Government in Scotland you voted for? In the last 63 years Scotland voted Labour 90% of the time, Scotland got Tory 52% of the time. One way to guarantee Scotland gets the Government it votes for is to vote yes to independence.

Phill
22-Apr-13, 01:03
One way to guarantee Scotland gets the Government it votes for is to vote yes to independence.According to others with a differing 'independent' agenda this isn't necessarily true. (I don't know, BTW)

My issue is, what version of independence do people want? I know what I'd vote for, but that doesn't seem to be on offer.

theone
22-Apr-13, 01:24
By piratelassie's logic the people of Caithness should rise up and claim independence from the UK because our MP hasn't been in the winning party for the last 30 odd years.

hmmm...................

ducati
22-Apr-13, 07:52
By piratelassie's logic the people of Caithness should rise up and claim independence from the UK because our MP hasn't been in the winning party for the last 30 odd years.

hmmm...................

There are so many incomers in Caithness now I recon we could get a Tory government in easy. :lol:

MerlinScot
22-Apr-13, 09:00
Do you want a Government in Scotland you voted for?
Actually Scotland has a government I voted for in 2011... And no, I won't vote them again (I put myself in the position of not voting them again :cool:)

equusdriving
22-Apr-13, 10:22
Do you want a Government in Scotland you voted for? In the last 63 years Scotland voted Labour 90% of the time, Scotland got Tory 52% of the time. One way to guarantee Scotland gets the Government it votes for is to vote yes to independence.

your pro-Independence threads are getting more and more desperate, with more time between them, is it getting harder to find some obscure, irrelevant, anti British facts?, why not just post some actual facts and figures regarding post Independence...................................oh of course that would depend on you actually being in possession of the facts and figures and not just anti-British narrow-mindedness!

Humerous Vegetable
22-Apr-13, 13:59
At least we have an option up here now, which is not available in England, to vote for the renewed independence of our country. Scotland has been a nation state since the 600s AD and should not be viewed as a "new" nation, just because it suits the current UK government. The only time I ever managed to vote for the parliament I wanted was the last time I voted in 2011.

piratelassie
22-Apr-13, 15:46
In your narrow mind view pro Scottish is anti English, strange way of looking at things is it not?

your pro-Independence threads are getting more and more desperate, with more time between them, is it getting harder to find some obscure, irrelevant, anti British facts?, why not just post some actual facts and figures regarding post Independence...................................oh of course that would depend on you actually being in possession of the facts and figures and not just anti-British narrow-mindedness!

Flynn
22-Apr-13, 16:29
In your narrow mind view pro Scottish is anti English, strange way of looking at things is it not?

British does not equate to 'English'. Put your bigotry away.

MerlinScot
22-Apr-13, 17:14
At least we have an option up here now, which is not available in England,
That would be pointless. You mean 55 millions of English people voting to get out of the United Kingdom? LOL

Scotland hasn't been a 'nation' before 820 AD, read Scottish History well (see Kenneth MacAlpin and the Dalriadic Kings lists, etc etc). Plus the Scots were incomers, i.e. they invaded what we perceive as Scotland today from Galloway, where they had migrated from... Ireland!

The first period where you can speak of Scotland as a united country is under David I's rule (1084-1153), although I underlined united because to get rid of all issues concerning the Highlands you have to wait for the Union of the Crowns, in 1603. And in 1707 Scotland became part of the United Kingdom or let's say Scotland and England formed the United Kingdom.

So you meant to say that Scotland has been a united country and at peace for... 100 years. Congrats.

equusdriving
22-Apr-13, 18:44

read it again, but properly this time, I said anti-British not anti English, it is you who has merged the two! and I wouldn't know how to begin to compete with you for the org narrow minded title

orkneycadian
22-Apr-13, 19:03

How does being independent change the outcome of party voting? Are you suggesting that in an independent Scotland, the outcomes of elections will magically become different? Sounds mighty suspicious to me, and straight from the Robert Mugabe School of Elections theory....

theone
22-Apr-13, 20:36
At least we have an option up here now, which is not available in England, to vote for the renewed independence of our country. Scotland has been a nation state since the 600s AD and should not be viewed as a "new" nation, just because it suits the current UK government. The only time I ever managed to vote for the parliament I wanted was the last time I voted in 2011.

So where does that leave us, the people of Caithness? Caithness never became part of Scotland until 6 or 700 years after this. Are we therefore not "truly" Scottish, just a late add-on?

And what about the people of Orkney and Shetland? These islands have been British for longer than they were ever only Scottish.

The elected leader of these islands have already suggested they would be unwilling to be part of an independent Scotland and, make no mistake, if they were not, the vast majority of "Scotland's oil" would be lost to them.

If the SNP think Scotland can be wealthy because of oil revenue shared between 5,300,000 people, The northern isles would be positively, absolutely stinking rich, sharing it among 40,000.

orkneycadian
22-Apr-13, 21:11
Excellent news! Time to bring the Flotta Freedom Fighters out of the sleeping cell they have been in for the last few decades and stake a claim to what is legally ours! ;)

Phill
22-Apr-13, 23:10
I believe I staked my claim to the Beatrice Field a while back, it's only wee but I'm sure it'll keep me ticking over for a few years.

Fly
22-Apr-13, 23:12
I thought a vote for independence means exactly that - a complete break away from the rest of Britain.
Alex Salmond and the rest of the SNP seem to want to pick and choose what they want to keep and forget about the rest that does'nt suit them. Don't seem like independence to me.

Alrock
22-Apr-13, 23:34
I thought a vote for independence means exactly that - a complete break away from the rest of Britain.....

No... It means the right to choose our own Government...

What is currently British is by default of the union also Scottish...
An independent Scottish Government is well within it's rights to keep, change, abolish what it wants post independence. Likewise the UK Government can do the same.

equusdriving
22-Apr-13, 23:49
No... It means the right to choose our own Government...

only those who will vote for the winning party will choose our Government :confused those who don't , will still be disappointed, just like they are now, unless you are implying that everyone will be voting for the same party post Independence

Alrock
23-Apr-13, 00:02
only those who will vote for the winning party will choose our Government :confused those who don't , will still be disappointed, just like they are now, unless you are implying that everyone will be voting for the same party post Independence

You're just being pedantic....

Let me try & spell it out...
It means the right to choose our (as in Scotland as a whole) own Government by means of an election for the most popular choice of the population of Scotland to form a Government....
The method & fairness of the election process used is another issue separate from that of independence as it encompasses all democratically elected Governments.

equusdriving
23-Apr-13, 00:18
You're just being pedantic....

Let me try & spell it out...
It means the right to choose our (as in Scotland as a whole) own Government by means of an election for the most popular choice of the population of Scotland to form a Government....
The method & fairness of the election process used is another issue separate from that of independence as it encompasses all democratically elected Governments.

Oh so a bit like taking your ball back and starting a new game when you cant be captain in the playtime footie game, and then if we still don't get the government we want post Independence, shall we campaign for Caithness to break away and go it on our own, and then split it up town by town until we get our own way, oh but wait a minute................... what if we still don't get what we want, and end up the creek without a paddle? oh at least it will be our boat in our creek eh [disgust]

Alrock
23-Apr-13, 00:44
Oh so a bit like taking your ball back and starting a new game when you cant be captain in the playtime footie game, and then if we still don't get the government we want post Independence, shall we campaign for Caithness to break away and go it on our own, and then split it up town by town until we get our own way, oh but wait a minute................... what if we still don't get what we want, and end up the creek without a paddle? oh at least it will be our boat in our creek eh [disgust]

So... From that statement can I presume that you are in favour of a full European Government or even one single World Government with countries reduced to just having regional Governments with little policy making powers?

Flynn
23-Apr-13, 07:44
or even one single World Government with countries reduced to just having regional Governments with little policy making powers?
That doesn't sound so bad to me. There is, after all, only ONE human race.

MerlinScot
23-Apr-13, 10:13
And what about the people of Orkney and Shetland? These islands have been British for longer than they were ever only Scottish.

The elected leader of these islands have already suggested they would be unwilling to be part of an independent Scotland and, make no mistake, if they were not, the vast majority of "Scotland's oil" would be lost to them.
If the SNP think Scotland can be wealthy because of oil revenue shared between 5,300,000 people, The northern isles would be positively, absolutely stinking rich, sharing it among 40,000.

All the orcadian friends I have are all for seceding from an independent Scotland. One of their MPs also brought it up during a meeting and it was on a paper (I don't remember if Caithness Courier or JOG). I wonder how much money Salmond will need to buy their votes...and their oil.

equusdriving
23-Apr-13, 10:20
So... From that statement can I presume that you are in favour of a full European Government or even one single World Government with countries reduced to just having regional Governments with little policy making powers?

No all I want is what is best for our country ! and I would only change the situation if facts and figures pointed in favor of change! not because of a draconian, short sighted, bigoted, anti-British chip on our shoulders that has been passed down through the generations, that makes people willing to take a gamble with the only reason being continuously spouted being along the lines of "it probably wont be any worse "

MerlinScot
23-Apr-13, 16:46
No all I want is what is best for our country !

I found something to convince you to vote YES to the referendum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQgNxIeM4c8

orkneycadian
23-Apr-13, 21:54
What are the Pro Independence / Yes campaigners estimates on the actual cost of this palaver?

Googling suggests that the estimated cost of the referendum itself is about £13.3 million, whilst another estimate revealed by Google suggests that the cost of actually implementing independence will be in the order of £140 billion. The former seems surprisingly light, considering it cost 440 million to build a room just to have meetings in, and may only be for referendum day itself. So therefore not counting all the time that Messers Salmond and Sturgeon are spending on preparing their arguments instead of actually getting on with running the country. Its also not clear if the latter includes all costs, or just direct costs attributable to government, i.e. does it include the cost to Scottish businesses if we have to have a new currency foisted upon us?

Even if the above figures plucked out of Google are out by a factor of a lot, can we really be affording to find all this extra cash, on top of actually running a country, in these economically challenging times? Can any Yes campaigners affirm or correct the accuracy of the above figures?

equusdriving
23-Apr-13, 23:24
What are the Pro Independence / Yes campaigners estimates on the actual cost of this palaver?

Can any Yes campaigners affirm or correct the accuracy of the above figures?

I wouldn't hold your breath :lol:I think they are all to busy trawling the internet, for any little scrap of propaganda, that they can use to start the next independence thread, that seems to be the normal routine when they are pushed for answers on the current thread

golach
23-Apr-13, 23:39
I wouldn't hold your breath :lol:I think they are all to busy trawling the internet, for any little scrap of propaganda, that they can use to start the next independence thread, that seems to be the normal routine when they are pushed for answers on the current thread
Eck and Nicola's favourite word at the moment is "Scaremongering", but when are they going to tell us the truth? [disgust]

Rheghead
23-Apr-13, 23:40
I don't like the SNP idea of keeping the £ and having interest rates set by the Bank of England which will effectively be a financial institution that is controlled by foreign power.

equusdriving
23-Apr-13, 23:59
Eck and Nicola's favourite word at the moment is "Scaremongering", but when are they going to tell us the truth? [disgust]
as soon as they have finished making it up:(

orkneycadian
25-Apr-13, 17:34
None of the pro / yes campaigners willing to comment on the costs?

macadamia
25-Apr-13, 18:36
"Scaremongering" - Telling uncomfortable truths to reluctant listeners over a loud background of like-minded sheep bleating impotently.

mi16
25-Apr-13, 18:59

Why do we have fat Eck in charge at the moment then?

piratelassie
26-Apr-13, 01:12
Alrock tried to explain

Alrock tried to explain post independence election to you but you do'nt get it do you?

equusdriving
26-Apr-13, 09:41
Alrock tried to explain

Alrock tried to explain post independence election to you but you do'nt get it do you?

and what bit of my answer to him didnt you get?
"No all I want is what is best for our country ! and I would only change the situation if facts and figures pointed in favor of change! not because of a draconian, short sighted, bigoted, anti-British chip on our shoulders that has been passed down through the generations, that makes people willing to take a gamble with the only reason being continuously spouted being along the lines of "it probably wont be any worse " "

orkneycadian
26-Apr-13, 10:17
None of the pro / yes campaigners willing to comment on the costs?

I tried to get a tumbleweed smiley to work in a reply, but it didn't. :( So I'll try a different tack that seems to be the norm for everything....

Does anyone know when the Yes/Pro campaign office is open and can you get replies to questions from it?