PDA

View Full Version : Birdwatching Wick Area

dave derrick
21-Apr-13, 15:43
Hi, will be spending a couple of days in the Wick area in mid May. Any help with suggested birding sites around Wick would be greatly appreciated. Very many thanks, Dave.

radiohead
24-Apr-13, 00:46
Cape Wrath, Duncansby Head, Forsinard are all good places to visit, sea birds at the first 2 and Forsinard is inland and apparantly has quite number of different species. I hope you don't mind me asking, are you from Bristol? My cousin, whom I haven't seen for years was touring Scotland this year.

Aaldtimer
24-Apr-13, 02:26
..."Cape Wrath"...Oh aye, that's the Wick area!

dave derrick
24-Apr-13, 08:43
Thanks for info, much appreciated, will be up on North coast later that week. Am looking for possible sites a bit closer to Wick for these couple of days. Not from Bristol, even more Southerly than there ! Thanks, Dave.

Stack Rock
24-Apr-13, 09:23
Wick river and harbour areas. Also sea cliffs around the Castle of Oldwick teem with seabirds come nesting time. All within walking distance.

catherine nicol
24-Apr-13, 11:44
Noss Head; Ackergill Harbour; Watten all great areas with different species.

Dunnet Head; Brough harbour; St Johns Pool, Dunnet; Castletown harbour; Harrow harbour; Loch of Mey. Are some of my favourite haunts.

dave derrick
25-Apr-13, 08:41
Catherine and co, Very many thanks for information. Much appreciated. Dave.

kas
25-Apr-13, 14:50
Anything particular you are looking for?

dave derrick
26-Apr-13, 08:16
No, nothing in particular. Maybe Purple Sandpipers if they haven't already left. Dave.

kas
09-May-13, 21:28
Sorry for Late reply, Yes I think the purps may be off but if I see any I will let you know.