PDA

View Full Version : Tesco Vouchers

Kevin Milkins
20-Apr-13, 22:50
Do Tesco genuinely want to give it's customers best value for money or do they just bombard us with so many deals and vouchers at the till that we can not be bothered to read all they throw at us and loose out because we can't be bothered to read the small print.

I have fallen out with them because I misunderstood the £5.00 back deal and I took the small print to say valued until, (like the fuel voucher) and not valued from.

It may be me just being to lazy or busy to be bothered to read all that they throw at us, but I feel that they have set out to deliberately mislead it's customers and I'm not surprised that they have not performed as well in recent years if there customer service is anything to go by.

I have chose to shop elsewhere for the last month and I am surprised at how much my weekly spend has gone down without the need to bother about vouchers and tickets. Why can't supermarkets just try and give good value for money coupled with good customer service as a front line winner for our pennies?

secrets in symmetry
20-Apr-13, 22:54
It's not just Tesco. Sainsbury's are equally infuriating - I no longer go there because of their stupid voucher system.

Dadie
20-Apr-13, 23:23
I use lidls to get what I need first, then Tescos, to get the stuff I couldnt from Lidls...
With vouchers you have to be on the ball with them as they are not really there to save you money....just to get you to spend more!
Cut em out?save em up in your wallet/purse and loook at em on the way round the shop ...scrutinise use by dates and use after dates....and only buy what you need/use....50p of something that will lurk at the back of a cupboard until it crawls out under its own power (or 10 years out of date and still sitting happily on the shelf) isnt a bargain!

Mr P Cannop
21-Apr-13, 08:50
when they give you
Vouchers for £4.50 you have to spend that before you go to the tills

Gizmo
22-Apr-13, 14:26
Tesco are the masters of voucher deception.

Bertieboy
22-Apr-13, 14:41
Give me a call, I'll do a minibus trip down to Asda in Tain..... LOL......

tonkatojo
22-Apr-13, 15:50
They usually give the wife a load of vouchers and double points vouchers but mostly on products she never buys, and they know what she buys from till receipts on her clubcard, a right con.

Torvaig
23-Apr-13, 10:57
Kevin, you are a man after my own heart! I have been composing a letter to Tesco for days now but I get so frustrated with trying to incorporate all the superfluous nonsense we are supposed to go through to save a shilling!

I have already bought a larger wallet to hold all the coupons but still I get overwhelmed as it is also full of store cards, credit cards, debit cards and cards that I don't know how they got there or what they are for.

I have considered employing someone to decipher all these wonderful, money saving ideas and to follow me around the supermarket when I go shopping. There should be a mini bar half way round so that you can rest and gird you loins again for the second half of your exciting day out!

My mind is befuddled enough with modern ways and trickery and I have so many bottles of extra shampoo, conditioner etc., with their two for one offers that I now dread opening the wardrobe door! (Yes, the bathroom cabinets are overflowing!)

I have considered building an extension to my house to store everything in, then I can use up all the lovely cheap goodies that Tesco (and other supermarkets) shower me with every shopping trip. I already have a garden shed which needs to be organised for the proceeds of my shopping trips but it is beginning to defeat me as I am running out of shelves.

In short, I would like Tesco to issue a statement telling us how much the printing, distribution and administrating etc., is costing us in using these vouchers etc., and when the devil they are going to stop tricking and treating us as ignoramuses with their supposed "special offers".

They and other like-minded supermarkets are taking us for a ride; it certainly ain't for our life enhancement.....

Anyone want some flea powder, slug killer, weed killer, gro-more potions, shampoo, soap powder, toilet roll etc, etc?

Princess
23-Apr-13, 15:12
What I don't get is the thing they are doing just now. "Price Promise" - You get a voucher for money off your next shop if you would have been cheaper shopping elsewhere, why not just lower the prices instead of giving us vouchers?

Torvaig
23-Apr-13, 15:32
What I don't get is the thing they are doing just now. "Price Promise" - You get a voucher for money off your next shop if you would have been cheaper shopping elsewhere, why not just lower the prices instead of giving us vouchers?

Princess, that would be too sensible for the majority of shoppers who like to think they are getting a bargain. The honest but sad truth is that all these honey traps work with a sizeable chunk of shoppers where some of us would rather utilize our time more efficiently.

Like clearing out the garden shed....... :lol:

Kevin Milkins
24-Apr-13, 07:45
Give me a call, I'll do a minibus trip down to Asda in Tain..... LOL......

Not a bad idea that, Bertieboy.
I called in Asda, Tain on the way home from Edinburgh last October. I bought some underpants and socks that have proved to be the best ever.

I wouldn't mind an excuse for a day out.

Kevin Milkins
24-Apr-13, 07:58
They and other like-minded supermarkets are taking us for a ride; it certainly ain't for our life enhancement.....

The sad thing is, Torvaig, a lot of what they do as a company is good, but they have some people who's sole purpose in life is to annoy it's customers.

If they feel it works for them then Hey Ho.

It's been over a month since I have shopped with them and apart from a different shopping experience I have stopped making impulse buys and saved a load of money as well.

I can hardly wait until my card bill comes to make a more informed analysis on my spending habits.

Kevin Milkins
20-Aug-13, 07:44
Here is one tenacious lady that would not allow Tesco rip her off with pretend deals and it's cost them £300,000.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=tesco%20fine&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDMQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuk-england-birmingham-23755528&ei=zwsTUoPtGOGb0QX_xYDQAg&usg=AFQjCNE1KU87Y8twr2BHwdfSdzePQUMeSA

Its interesting to hear what the lady from trading standards had to say about the way that thy market themselves.

I think if thy concentrated there efforts in giving good value for money coupled with good customer service they would be hard to beat.

Kodiak
20-Aug-13, 12:28
They usually give the wife a load of vouchers and double points vouchers but mostly on products she never buys, and they know what she buys from till receipts on her clubcard, a right con.

Now that has never and I repeat, never happened to us. We get Vouchers sent to us from Tesco on a regular basis. These Vouchers are always for items that we buy all the time, so these Vouchers do save us money. Not only that but they are usually dated 1 year in advance so we have plenty of time to take advantage of them.

Any time I have had a complaint I have found that Customer Services instore have always gone to great lengths to solve the problem. As an example about a week ago one of items I bught was a Pack of Beefburgers, priced at £5.00. I went through the checkout and paid for my shopping and packed the bags in my car. Before I drove away I checked the till receipt and saw that I had been charged £7.00 for the Burgers.

I was ure that they were priced at £5.00 so I went back into the store and I was quite correct, £5.00 was the price on the shelf. So I spoke to the Lady at the Customer Services desk. She came with me and I pointed out the price was listed as £5.00 and yet I had been charged £7.00 She advised me that she would sort this out at once. When we arrived back at the Customer Service Desk she said I was 100% correct and that due to an error their computer had not been updated correctly and I had been incorrectly overcharged £2.00.

She then put this through the Till and refunded me £4.00 for as she said it was Tesco's Policy to refund the Customer Double any monies that they may have been overcharged. So in this case I ended up paying only £3.00 for my burgers instead of £5.00.

outsidethebox
20-Aug-13, 12:45
Tesco (and all the other major supermarkets) are not interested in saving you any money.

If they were they would be honest, and instead of doing 2 for 1 "special offers" would sell the thing at half the cost so you can buy what you want.

They would display prices that are easy to compare.

They would not mislead with their yellow shelf edge special offer stickers.

One of their favourite bits of deception. A real good example of which is Heinz Tomato Ketchup. The biggest bottle they do is always 22p per 100ml (from memory), but this week that is a special offer price. Next week doubtless we'll have the upside down big bottle reduced from 32p per 100ml to something like 28p per 100ml, with a nice prominent yellow sticker on it. And the bigger right way up bottle still sitting pretty at 22p per 100ml but no longer on special. That one has been ongoing for well over 12 months now :-)

Big Gaz
20-Aug-13, 18:30
aye thats 22p per 100ml in pokey wee writing that the normal glance will not pick up on. It's just a total con! Even their own brand stuff is marketed as quality but cheaper but is often more expensive than some similar major branded items. The latest piXXtake is the 5p off a litre fuel when you spend £40 voucher has gone up to £50 now. I often topped up with a few quid to make the £40 when i was due to refuel but i cant justify spending £50 on a single shop now

Alrock
20-Aug-13, 18:52

Maybe she does buy them, just doesn't tell you... :roll:

Phill
20-Aug-13, 20:10
You really need to be on the ball with the vouchers and offers, you can play them at their own game if you plan a little. When the bairns were younger we (wifey) were very careful about what we bought, when we bought it and what deals we used. Sometimes this meant splitting the shopping up into 4 different sales / purchases, but, done right it gave us maximum discount with maximum points etc. for minimum cost.
At the time Tesco offered a deal with a car showroom, Motorpoint I think, where the points were quadrupled against the value of a car if you bought one there.

We took our points, threw in our old car and walked out with a brand new car courtesy of Tesco's. (and got £400 cash back because the spec didn't match the sales sheet)

Moral of the story is, check the small print and 'do' them before they 'do' you.

p.s. I think Motorpoint withdrew from that little promotion afterwards!

Dadie
20-Aug-13, 23:30
The trips out/holiday quadruple points are a good deal if you remember to cash them in in time before going away.
But the cashback vouchers for your shopping being cheaper else where only valid between x date and x date ...not within shopping trips usually ...
they annoy me!
As for on the shelf promotions ... just check the price per 100ml /1litre/500grams (whatever the unit) and the promotions never seem that great a deal!
As for some of the wines etc if you buy them at the "real" price more fool you as they are on promotion more often than at full price!

2little2late
27-Aug-13, 01:13
I used to work for Tesco in Wick. They don't care one iota about customers or staff. They are a rubbish company to work for. It's a case of if the face fits. Their prices are extortionate, but because there is no competition customers have no choice. I am so glad to be delivering Asda home shopping to Wick now. I cannot believe how thankful customers are for Asda. I only hope that Asda keeps the good service up.

gerry4
27-Aug-13, 14:50
My wife worked for Asda down in England and they were rubbish employers too. I doubt if any supermarket is a good employer.