PDA

View Full Version : History of Norse Caithness

Maladroit
18-Apr-13, 00:55
Does anyone know of a book on Norse settlements in Caithness? How did they treat the Picts that presumably already lived in Caithness?

MerlinScot
18-Apr-13, 11:00
There are a few books about Caithness and its history, including Norse settlements.

Try to look for them at a local library or bookshops :)

I read one a few months ago but I borrowed it from a friend and I don't remember the title, sorry :confused

Maladroit
08-Apr-14, 12:43
Thank you MerlinScot. Sorry for taking so long to reply.

I haven't had a chance to look in local libraries or bookshops as I haven't been in Caithness since last year.

Have you remembered the title of the book yet? :)

golach
08-Apr-14, 13:09
Try to get your hands on The Raven Banner, a guide to Viking Caithness by Ian Cassells

stumpy
08-Apr-14, 15:28
Since the original post, Barbara Crawford's published The Northern Earldoms, covering the Norse earldom on both sides of the Firth from 870 to 1470. It's a big solid read at a hefty £25, but well worth a look. Problem with the early Norse settlement period is that much of what we have is from sagas written generations after the event. By definition they're from the Norse point of view, so we don't have a description from the Pictish side. Crawford has a pretty detailed look at settlements and place-names as well, but even that doesn't give a clear picture of the early days.

Maladroit
09-Apr-14, 00:12
Brilliant! Thank you! I have some familiarity with the work of Barbara Crawford.

I don't know about Ian Cassells, even though the name rings a bell. Can anyone tell me?

golach
09-Apr-14, 10:20
Brilliant! Thank you! I have some familiarity with the work of Barbara Crawford.

I don't know about Ian Cassells, even though the name rings a bell. Can anyone tell me?

Ian is the manager of the Royal Mail in Thurso, or was

Maladroit
10-Apr-14, 00:51
I must have been thinking of a different Cassells. Thanks for your input.