PDA

View Full Version : Electricity suppliers?

porshiepoo
14-Jan-07, 11:32
Just wondering who the cheaper electricity suppliers are up here?
Our place was on a meter when we bought it and we've just got around to taking it off the meter cos we thought thirty five quid a week was a tad excessive. It was fitted up for economy7 but there was no storage heaters in it.
We've just got our first bill - £416.38 for 2 months. What a rip off!
We're paying more than we were. So, we're just wondering if theres any cheaper suppliers out there? I think N Power is cheaper, does anyone use these?

cuddlepop
14-Jan-07, 11:39
Wow thas some bill for two months.Have you queried it as it sounds as though something is running away with the electric.:eek:
We had a faulty thermostate that must have been permenatly on for a while.Our last quater was well over what we budgeted for.It was only when it eventually broke we realised there was a problem.Should have realised earlier as the water was permanatly hot.
Check your supply.

Tristan
14-Jan-07, 11:47
http://www.uswitch.com

Ironically it is often cheaper to go with a gas supplier for your electric and vice versa.

Oddquine
14-Jan-07, 11:58
You're not still getting charged the Economy 7 tariff are you.......it is more expensive than the standard one for day usage.

jambo
14-Jan-07, 12:07
are u sure the dingles arnt hooked up to ur electricity supply.

badger
14-Jan-07, 12:10
Would definitely query this as far too many wrong bills are sent out. I had storage heaters when I moved in but it was a while before I realised, after they were taken out, that the tariff hadn't been changed and I was paying too much. Also did you check the meter reading? Was it an estimated bill? I wouldn't pay it until you've checked everything.

j4bberw0ck
14-Jan-07, 12:28
I use nPower (some might be surprised to learn it's their "green" tariff that takes additional power from renewable sources :lol: ) and got quite a useful saving compared with Hydro - about £20 a month, although the gap closed a bit after some price rises.

No mains gas in Orkney so that avenue is closed to us. The uswitch website is quite useful but not exactly a model of clarity - you need to be sure you're comparing like with like. £416 for 2 months is frightening, though. Get your present supplier to check the tariff - if you don't use the off-peak Economy 7 is far too expensive. Might be a good idea to find a friendly neighbourhood sparky to look at the system and measure current flows, check thermostats etc. Be careful of having the power company check the meter; if they do and it's not faulty, it's my understanding they'll charge you.

EDDIE
14-Jan-07, 12:39
Well i live in a one bedroom flat my gas is £30 a month and electricity is £30 a month and thats me just using it normally not worrying about cost.your bill is way over the top you should get your electrics checked out