PDA

View Full Version : Will women play a greater role in the 21st century than they did in the 20th?

crayola
14-Jan-07, 03:40
What do you think?

canuck
14-Jan-07, 03:49
Perhaps the expression "greater role" needs to be more fully defined. Women play some spectacular roles in life now. We would sort of be hard pressed to be born without them, so that is a pretty great role in most of our lives. In most cases they are the primary educators and care givers. No more important role than that. On and on I could go to a point where I might finally suggest that any more great roles and we won't have time to fulfill them all.

Okay, maybe some of the org sarcasm has infected my grey matter, so I go back to my first sentence, "greater role" needs to be more fully defined.

crayola
14-Jan-07, 03:56
I thought of asking whether we would play a greater political role but that was too specific so I left it deliberately vague. Interpret the question and answer it as you wish.

Mad1man
14-Jan-07, 04:04
I think women will fill some different roles and possibly higher percentages will fill non stereotypical roles, but, the poll question is too ambiguous for me to decide.

Gleber2
14-Jan-07, 05:50
What do you think?
How could they take a greater roll? They took over in the 20th century and look where it's got us.[evil]

mareng
14-Jan-07, 12:56
What do you think?

As long as they still wash the dishes........... then I say:

"Go for it, Girls!"

Alice in Blunderland
14-Jan-07, 13:09
How could they take a greater roll? They took over in the 20th century and look where it's got us.

And Bush and Blair have been such shining examples ? :roll: :lol:

Alice in Blunderland
14-Jan-07, 13:17
As long as they still wash the dishes........... then I say:

"Go for it, Girls!"

Erm heard of dishwashers ;) . They can be bought most reasonably.

compo
14-Jan-07, 13:40
well there apears to be a lot of women in positions of power only they are not usualy seen in the public ey such as stela rimington i think thats how its pronounced . the esteemed head of our inteligence services. then theres codaliza rice us secretery of state and that newly apointed heaad of the us senate. and talk of hilary clinton being the next president of the usa. so i think they are a good way there to being more involved and having more influence on the world stage and no bad thing either.

brandy
14-Jan-07, 14:36
shivers.. oh please dont use c. rice as an example of female leadership!
however i would absolutly love to have a madame president! well a good madame president that is!
dear lord knows a dead horse could do better than bush!
i just keep chanting one more year one more year.. and im not even in teh country anymore!

but seriously.. in america.. i feel we are still a long way away from having a female president..
there is still a very male oriented mentality about females in power..
a womans place is in the home.
a woman cant lead a country
you know with our delicate constitutions..
we have no buisness is politics gov or war..
but we are good enough.. to play hostess.. (ie.. manuver everything into peacful negotiations so the men all get along. ) keep everything running smoothly in the world in a purley democratic way.. wouldnt want anything to conflict..
and my all time fav.
women are not able to handle the strains of war and should never be on the front line.. but from the word go. they have been there.. cleaning up the carnage left behind. cutting off limbs.. sewing up.. and basically cleaning up the mess.. but we are not capable of killing evidently.. *winks* even though women tend to be the most devious of the species *giggles*

i grew up with that sort of mentality.. and it made me so angry..
that many still think a woman is not as proficent in many areas as a man.
that because of her sex that her brain dosent work on full capacity..
shakes head..
what does it say about our society when females are still paid less than men doing the exact same job?

Jeemag_USA
14-Jan-07, 15:05
shivers.. oh please dont use c. rice as an example of female leadership!
however i would absolutly love to have a madame president! well a good madame president that is!
dear lord knows a dead horse could do better than bush!
i just keep chanting one more year one more year.. and im not even in teh country anymore!

but seriously.. in america.. i feel we are still a long way away from having a female president..
there is still a very male oriented mentality about females in power..
a womans place is in the home.
a woman cant lead a country
you know with our delicate constitutions..
we have no buisness is politics gov or war..
but we are good enough.. to play hostess.. (ie.. manuver everything into peacful negotiations so the men all get along. ) keep everything running smoothly in the world in a purley democratic way.. wouldnt want anything to conflict..
and my all time fav.
women are not able to handle the strains of war and should never be on the front line.. but from the word go. they have been there.. cleaning up the carnage left behind. cutting off limbs.. sewing up.. and basically cleaning up the mess.. but we are not capable of killing evidently.. *winks* even though women tend to be the most devious of the species *giggles*

i grew up with that sort of mentality.. and it made me so angry..
that many still think a woman is not as proficent in many areas as a man.
that because of her sex that her brain dosent work on full capacity..
shakes head..
what does it say about our society when females are still paid less than men doing the exact same job?

America? It says you in Wick? Anyway, I digress, you have about two years to wait for a female president, not a long time at all. Hilary Clinton will be voted in.

Gleber2
14-Jan-07, 16:25
And Bush and Blair have been such shining examples ? :roll: :lol:

Behind every powerful man there is at least two women. His mother and his wife. Who wears the trousers in your house? Cherie could eat Tony and Mrs Bush has God on her side.

Alice in Blunderland
14-Jan-07, 17:21
Behind every powerful man there is at least two women. His mother and his wife. Who wears the trousers in your house? Cherie could eat Tony and Mrs Bush has God on her side.

hee hee the sign of a good women is when the man truly thinks hes in charge when in reality ..........its the woman ;)

Looks like its Weeboyagee who wears the tousers in this house when hes home and not skulking around in his shorts......calm now girls dont all swoon at the thought. :eek:

Rheghead
14-Jan-07, 17:37
Men are supposed to be doing a lot more around the house in the 21st century so it doesn't take much to work out that women's roles will be a lot smaller in the future.

Alice in Blunderland
14-Jan-07, 18:32
Men are supposed to be doing a lot more around the house in the 21st century so it doesn't take much to work out that women's roles will be a lot smaller in the future.

Hee Hee Rhegers, did you manage to type that with your marigolds on or of :lol: :cool:

Bobbyian
14-Jan-07, 19:48
Whilst at a school a few weeks back I had a talk with a few teachers and to cut a long tale short it is their opinion that in say 5 to 10 years if the boys donīt wake up , the majority of the skilled students (those that really do achieve something) not to offend others will in all likelyhood be women. having looked at the attitude of boy learning and girls learning I can see their point. and personaly >I think it would be a better world if woman took charge of their countries.

Sporran
15-Jan-07, 00:24
Women always have, and always will play a great role. Can you imagine if the world was full of men only, lol?!?!

I do think we will see more women in positions of power, and in jobs traditionally held by men, in the 21st century. After all, it was mostly in the second half of the 20th century that we began to see a great increase in the number of women working outside the home, as well as being wives and mothers at the same time. Of course, during the two World Wars, we did see a number of women taking over mens jobs in farms and factories, but that was to temporarily take the place of those men called up to the military.

Jeid
15-Jan-07, 00:39
Women always have, and always will play a great role.

This is a very very true statement

oldmarine
15-Jan-07, 01:22
I have been blessed with a wonderful wife and three great daughters. I am certain they will do even better in the 21st century.

_Ju_
15-Jan-07, 12:20
Care takers, cooks, cleaners, drivers, teachers, event organizers, handy person, baby sitter, (home) manager, accountant, finance advisor, actress and holding down a (outside home) job at the same time. Women are for a large part unsung hero's. Their role is already one of the greatest that can exist: influencing the future through their children. The pity is that all this effort too often goes unrecognized by our atitudes and the worth we give to all this work.

golach
15-Jan-07, 12:31
Care takers, cooks, cleaners, drivers, teachers, event organizers, handy person, baby sitter, (home) manager, accountant, finance advisor, actress and holding down a (outside home) job at the same time. Women are for a large part unsung hero's. Their role is already one of the greatest that can exist: influencing the future through their children. The pity is that all this effort too often goes unrecognized by our atitudes and the worth we give to all this work.
Ju lol males can do all these jobs also, apart from driving and being an actress and doing the ironing I have done all of the above. Mrs G I will admit does some of them better, but not all [lol]

_Ju_
15-Jan-07, 13:20
Ju lol males can do all these jobs also, apart from driving and being an actress and doing the ironing I have done all of the above. Mrs G I will admit does some of them better, but not all

Mrs G is a lucky lady, Golach;) , but honestly, do most couples share and share alike? I'm not saying men cannot do all of what I described, but many, when they "shack-up" won't. Full stop. And the people at fault for many boys/men being like this is down to, in most cases, Mummy.:cool:

cuddlepop
15-Jan-07, 14:00
I am very lucky that Mr Cp does as much round the house as I have no idea how I would have managed these past few weeks.
Ju,right if the men are lazy it's only us mothers who are to blame.
As to whether we'll play a greater rule,well that depends if the men let us.;)

brandy
15-Jan-07, 14:00
i have to admit,
hubby is wonderful at doing all the above.. but i draw the line at letting him iron!
and hes not learned the driving yet.. unless driving me mad counts then hes a pro! *winks*

changilass
15-Jan-07, 14:50
Mrs G is a lucky lady, Golach;) , but honestly, do most couples share and share alike? I'm not saying men cannot do all of what I described, but many, when they "shack-up" won't. Full stop. And the people at fault for many boys/men being like this is down to, in most cases, Mummy.:cool:

Hubby does his fair share in the house, but he is the first to admit that if I was willing to do it all he would quite happily sit and let me.

golach
15-Jan-07, 16:14
Mrs G is a lucky lady,
Ju I have been telling her this for many years, but her opinion differs :lol:

danc1ngwitch
15-Jan-07, 19:04
What do you think?

I am playing a greater role, I have the power to look through and past the material stuff in life. ( the earth is a witch, a mother and a teacher ) .
If only people could be more open minded.
Women do play a greater role, just not in ( politics )[lol]

squidge
16-Jan-07, 15:08
I think it is interesting to look back at the start of the 20th century - my grandmother was born in 1901 and died in 1981. When she was born there were still horses and carriages and women didnt have the vote or hold property in their own name.There was huge stigma attached to divorce and unmarried mothers. The changes that the women of the early part of that century saw in their lifetimes was huge, the wars led to more women working outside the home, then to the vote for women, this independance led to us being in control of our own home, property and lives, being in control of our sexual life being able to decide to divorce or have children without being married. Sex discrimination became illegal, women began to have their own rights and their own voices. These were HUGE steps forward in the space of one life time. Influence is slightly different - whilst these huge changes were taking place women didnt actually make the same steps forward in their influence. I think the 21st centurey will be a time when women will reap the benefits that their "sisters" like my Grandmother and mother and women of my generation fought and won. Glass ceilings will be removed and women will gain the influence they so rightly deserve, I am sorry i wont be sitting here in 2107 to see if i am right.

henry20
16-Jan-07, 15:12
I read that as 2017 squidge and was a bit shocked! Glad I re-read it and realised it was 2107!! :)

brandy
16-Jan-07, 16:12
just think of issues like birth control.
its very very recent history that.. women were given the choice wether to have kids or not.
its just also recent history that its not ok to beat your wife and kids.

deviled_egg
17-Jan-07, 16:56
i think women are definitely up and coming in the modern world, but however ambitious their goals are the one thing that usually prevents them going as far as men is......................................

babies.

danc1ngwitch
17-Jan-07, 19:18
*US* Woman have so much potential, yes having our babies do hold us
back, but we are without fear. For if you can give birth to the most
important thing's in this world, our son's and daughters surely talking
sheer babble in a fancy hut with others that talk the same dribble would
be a push over.
I am fearless, my body image is mine, I know how to love, I am not
ashamed of the role i have chosen to play.
I and many woman would set their insecurities aside for the protection of
our little ones.
We Woman are the future. Men best know it... So step aside, for you can
never be female no matter how hard you try. That is Indeed the ONE thing
you cannot be. A Woman...

crayola
21-Jan-07, 02:54
57% yes
8% no

That's good. :)

Today Hilary Clinton has declared for the US presidency.

The future is XX :)

Jeemag_USA
21-Jan-07, 03:22
57% yes
8% no

That's good.

The future is XX

Yes it was inevitable, and I am voting for her, not because the future is for sexists, the future is for people, and she is good people regardless of her sex! ;)

Moira
21-Jan-07, 03:26
Crayola - without you quantifying exactly what women achieved in the last century, I feel the poll question is obtuse.

Surely the future is not exclusively XX ?? - or is it - convince me.

crayola
21-Jan-07, 03:39
It's all about equality Moira. We have the opportunity and we must grasp it with both hands. It's not about achieving control, we don't need that but we must achieve equal representation in our parliaments, in our boardrooms and on our forums.

Do you not think we are quicker to get to the root of problems with the minimum of fuss and fewer clashes of egos than our XY partners? The majority of men make such a fuss of the simplest situations whilst we just get on and seek solutions whilst they're either entrenching their positions or trying arrange a game of golf to waste yet more time when they could be tackling the next problem. :lol:

canuck
21-Jan-07, 03:43
Moira, unless the future is for people, as Jeemag_USA suggests, then I don't think that we have a future at all. But I am not the pessimist on this topic. I do think that there is a future for the world and it will be with people working as people with skills, and opportunities to use those skills. I don't see a glass ceiling, but a whole lot of paper walls that can be pushed out to include everyone.

JAWS
21-Jan-07, 04:05
57% yes
8% no

That's good.

The future is XX
She's just hoping for the 'sympathy' vote she will get because she 'stood-by' her idiot of a husband.
If it hadn't been for that nobody would have heard of her. :roll:

Rheghead
21-Jan-07, 04:11
57% yes
8% no

That's good. :)

The future is XX :)

Well I personally would like to wish her well though I certainly would like Al Gore to have another go, he has kept such dignity in defeat from the buffoon.

crayola
21-Jan-07, 04:13
Must admit I don't know much about what she plans this time around. She will have to convince a lot of people she has what it takes before she gets a chance to stand against whomsoever the Republican Party comes up with to succeed the trained monkey in the big white house in Pennsylvania Avenue.

Condi?

crayola
21-Jan-07, 04:17
Well I personally would like to wish her well though I certainly would like Al Gore to have another go, he has kept such dignity in defeat from the buffoon.Buffoon or baboon? It's all monkey business to me. :lol:

Is Al Gore a likely candidate? Does he like windmills? ;)

canuck
21-Jan-07, 05:09
We want Al Gore as the US Ambassador to Canada.

The name to watch in the candidate race is Barack Obama.

But this thread is about women in the twenty-first century and the difference we will make. The issue is not about women taking traditional roles in a male organized world. Where women will make a significant contribution is in the modernizing of the ways in which humans interact with one another and with nature.

caithness lad
21-Jan-07, 13:07
What do you think?i hope not. look at the mess maggie made :eek:

Gleber2
21-Jan-07, 19:25
. She will have to convince a lot of people she has what it takes before she gets a chance to stand against whomsoever the Republican Party comes up with to succeed the trained monkey in the big white house in Pennsylvania Avenue.

?

How did the monkey convince anyone that he was fit for office? If he could do it, anyone could, including women.lol

JAWS
21-Jan-07, 21:24
i hope not. look at the mess maggie made :eek:
I don't remember anybody called Maggie ever running for the White House. Did I miss something?

canuck
22-Jan-07, 00:36
How did the monkey convince anyone that he was fit for office? If he could do it, anyone could, including women.lol

This Gleberian Theory could be cause for an orgument. However, your use of "lol" suggests that even you don't take it seriously.

I think that you are suggesting that a woman is not suitable for public leadership. In a male conceived, male designed and male built system of governance you might be right. Where I would argue is if you were suggesting that woman cannot be trusted with leadership responsibility in any system or if you are implying that women lack the intellectual skills or ethical stamina for the job.

Gleber2
22-Jan-07, 01:17
This Gleberian Theory could be cause for an orgument. However, your use of "lol" suggests that even you don't take it seriously.

I think that you are suggesting that a woman is not suitable for public leadership. In a male conceived, male designed and male built system of governance you might be right. Where I would argue is if you were suggesting that woman cannot be trusted with leadership responsibility in any system or if you are implying that women lack the intellectual skills or ethical stamina for the job.
Woman is no less suited to public leadership than man. I would not have the timerity to suggest otherwise. In this female dominated reality I would probably be wacked for suggesting otherwise. I must admit, however, that there have been very few women in high office that I would consider good at their jobs. There have been a few males, but not many.

Sporran
22-Jan-07, 02:59
Well, I think Hillary Clinton's got what it takes. She's intelligent, articulate, confident and driven. She's for the people, and has a lot of great ideas. I had a look at her official website today, and was suitably impressed. You go, girl, you go!! :)

Hillary for President! Yaaay!!! :cool:

oldmarine
22-Jan-07, 18:49
I don't remember anybody called Maggie ever running for the White House. Did I miss something?

Margaret Thatcher (Maggie) was Prime Minister for Great Britain. You are confused with her running for the White House. That's what you missed.

crayola
13-Feb-07, 01:27
Thank you all for your opinions.

I think the answer is yes.

Moira
13-Feb-07, 02:06
OK - the poll is closed - and the answer is Yes. I actually voted No - but I doubt I'll be around at the end of the 21st century to defend my point of view - unless you know differently Crayola ??!!

crayola
13-Feb-07, 02:18
I predict that there will be more top women doctors, lawyers, company directors, politicians, professors, military officers, scientists, engineers, media moguls, etc, etc, etc, in the 21st century than there were in the 20th. It's not just quantity but also quality and rank. Glass ceilings are being pulled down or pushed ever higher.

Disagree?

Moira
13-Feb-07, 02:29
Women have always played the greater role, whatever - so - no disagreement from me. Which is why I voted No.

crayola
17-Feb-07, 00:37
Women have always played the greater role, whatever - so - no disagreement from me. Which is why I voted No.The question asks, "Will women play a greater role in the 21st century than they did in the 20th?" You, my learned friend, have twisted the question from an indefinite one into a definite one by twisting your articles in the opposite direction. Dextrous you may be, but answered my question you have not. [disgust]