PDA

View Full Version : Explosions at Boston Marathon

Kodiak
15-Apr-13, 21:08
Reported that there are 3 Deaths in Boston after two Explosions rocked the Finish of the Boston Marathon.

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2013-04-15/explosion-at-boston-marathon/

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nbc-news/51546956#51546956
(http://www.itv.com/news/story/2013-04-15/explosion-at-boston-marathon/)

Flynn
15-Apr-13, 21:11
Horrible scenes. Who the hell bombs a marathon, and times the explosions to target the fun-runners?

Phill
15-Apr-13, 21:12
Just been watching the feeds on this, terrible stuff. Other devices found elsewhere also.
Going to be a bit of a game changer for London on Wednesday too.

Flynn
15-Apr-13, 21:53
Small devices, and lots of them. My money's on domestic terrorists, possibly NRA gun nuts or tea partyers.

Phill
15-Apr-13, 22:12
Bit of food for thought:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/04/15/iraq-bombings-wave-attacks.html

M Swanson
15-Apr-13, 22:46
Who the hell bombs a marathon, and times the explosions to target the fun-runners?

Those consumed by hatred, Flynn.

Flynn
15-Apr-13, 22:51
Those consumed by hatred, Flynn.

In the US that will be Libertarian crazies.

roadbowler
15-Apr-13, 22:56
Horrible scenes. Who the hell bombs a marathon, and times the explosions to target the fun-runners?actually, there aren't any "fun-runners" in the Boston Marathon. You have to qualify to run the Boston and the qualifying times are tough and it is the only qualifying marathon in the states I believe which is why it is so prestigious and people come from around the world to run it. Not only that, the Boston course is tough, it has mega uphills at the end. I've been to it and the crowd and atmosphere is unbelievable. If the explosions happened about 2 hours after the winners, this is actually the time when the majority of the runners would be crossing the finish line. The only people that do not have to have an official qualifying time is charity runners and they would likely be coming in well after this time.

M Swanson
15-Apr-13, 22:57
That would be anyone, or group firing from hatred, Flynn It's irresponsible to speculate at this time, because to my knowledge nobody has admitted liability for this atrocity. To nominate anyone at this stage is to incite more hatred and that's never a thing I've done. I'll leave that to others.

rogermellie
15-Apr-13, 23:24
That would be anyone, or group firing from hatred, Flynn It's irresponsible to speculate at this time, because to my knowledge nobody has admitted liability for this atrocity. To nominate anyone at this stage is to incite more hatred and that's never a thing I've done. I'll leave that to others.

it's heartening to see that even an event like this doesn't slow down the bitching between yourself and flynn, well done

Flynn
16-Apr-13, 08:08

I'm just going on the circumstances.

It happened in Boston, home of the Boston Tea Party, a protest which was carried out by the Sons Of Liberty, and one of the triggers for the American revolution.

It happened on Patriot's Day, which is a Massachusetts state holiday to commemorate the first battle of the American revolution at Lexington and Concord.

The Libertarians have been up in arms at proposals for stricter gun control in the US.

It only takes one crazy to carry out such an atrocity, as has been shown in the past in the US.

mi16
16-Apr-13, 08:29
Speculation but seems logical enough

cptdodger
16-Apr-13, 15:19
When I lived in London and Kent, I used to think nothing of taking my kids to watch the marathon. I know it's one of the highlights of my year watching it, as it would have been the same for these poor souls in Boston. I was listening to a reporter on the news this morning who knew the father of the little boy who passed away at the scene (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22161108) and it was just heartbreaking.

Hopefully whoever carried out this atrocity, will be brought to justice, but my heartfelt thoughts go out to the bereaved and the injured at this time.

George Brims
16-Apr-13, 19:45
That poor man. His son is dead, and now they are reporting his daughter has lost a leg and his wife has a serious head injury.
I echo the sentiments of our fellow Scot, Craig Ferguson, late-night TV host on CBS. "Is anybody else just sick of this sh!t?"

gleeber
16-Apr-13, 20:25
It's awful. It'll only get worse. It's not easy to stop stuff like that. It's frightening when you consider how vulnerable we are.
Whoever did this will be found if that's any consolation.

Mystical Potato Head
17-Apr-13, 19:30

A horrendous incident like this and all you can think about is how to have a go at Flynn.Who are you to lecture anyone on inciting hatred when you are obviously hate filled yourself.
Your just another in quite a long line of the org's boringly opinionated hypocrites.

golach
18-Apr-13, 22:41
Well this may ruffle a few feathers.
The bombing in Boston was horrific as is any terrorist act. But back In the 70's and 80's when the UK was Bombed weekly by the IRA it was these pretend Irish tossers in Boston who were some of the biggest supporters and fund raisers for the IRA.
So lets keep reality in check when we sympathise with them. Rant over

joxville
18-Apr-13, 23:01
What made it worse Golach was they OPENLY collected money via Noraid for 'The Old Country'.

George Brims
19-Apr-13, 02:05
What really used to make me mad is that there was never a British politician of any party willing to go across there, get on national TV, and point out to the American public they were funding a revolutionary organization also (reputedly) getting support from the Kremlin, and killing civilians in a friendly country.

Aaldtimer
19-Apr-13, 02:43
[QUOTE=golach;1022224]Well this may ruffle a few feathers.
The bombing in Boston was horrific as is any terrorist act. But back In the 70's and 80's when the UK was Bombed weekly by the IRA it was these pretend Irish tossers in Boston who were some of the biggest supporters and fund raisers for the IRA.
So lets keep reality in check when we sympathise with them. Rant over[/QUOTE

From the BBC website :
" The twin blasts killed Martin Richard, aged eight, Krystle Campbell, 29, and Lu Lingzi, a postgraduate student from China."..

.do you really think these 3 are are "pretend Irish tossers"?:roll:

Flynn
19-Apr-13, 08:10

I'm sure the dead eight year old wouldn't have a clue who the IRA are, but his family might be interested that you seem to think he deserved being killed.

Phill
19-Apr-13, 09:23
So because some Merkins were hoodwinked and conned into 'donating' by conmen / Irish blarny / propaganda in the 70's & 80's it's just tough titty that members of the public get blown up with nails & ball bearings today.

How do we right off the two young children killed in a Baghdad cafe bombing yesterday?

Phill
19-Apr-13, 10:02
Things are unfolding by the minute in Boston but looking like two young, homegrown, "Islamic" extremists. One of whom has recently been missing.

The authorities seem to have a lot of concern about the use of mobile phones, a worrying issue for the future.

Flynn
19-Apr-13, 10:57
I know it's unlikely but they have to take the second suspect alive, there must be no doubt about who and why.

Flynn
19-Apr-13, 12:03
Missing suspect now named as Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev. Apparently that's a Chechen name, and he's been resident in the US for a year. That complicates things a little. The US can't go storming into Chechnya. Could be related to Afghanistan as Chechens are known to have been fighting there.

http://rt.com/news/chechnya-suspect-boston-bombing-110/

ducati
19-Apr-13, 12:54
Or possibly just nutters with no political agenda.

Phill
19-Apr-13, 13:00
Nah, there is some agenda. Seems to be a lot of planning and preparation. 'Nutters' tend to just go ballistic with assault rifles.

mi16
19-Apr-13, 13:04
its lucky they didnt know how to build a decent bomb or the death toll could have been significantly higher.

Flynn
19-Apr-13, 13:56
Boston police, fire, and ems scanner, live feed:

http://tunein.com/radio/Boston-Police-Fire-and-EMS-Scanner-s146109/

ducati
19-Apr-13, 19:23
Its looking more and more like nutters. Their Uncle says they were/are just "losers".

Can you imagine this happening in a city like Manchester? Being completely shut down for a manhunt? Amazing

gleeber
19-Apr-13, 20:53
It is amazing. I've been following CNN and Fox news since it started and that's been amazing too. The uncles and auntie of the bombers have been fantastic and theyre taking no nonsense from the press who are frothing at the mouth from excitement. Its been an all American drama. You just dont know what's going to happen next. I dont know how it's going to end but i think the young guys going to get his comeuppance.

Green_not_greed
19-Apr-13, 22:22
It is amazing. I've been following CNN and Fox news since it started and that's been amazing too. The uncles and auntie of the bombers have been fantastic and theyre taking no nonsense from the press who are frothing at the mouth from excitement. Its been an all American drama. You just dont know what's going to happen next. I dont know how it's going to end but i think the young guys going to get his comeuppance.

Agreed - been following it too. Things I note are (1) they are still just suspects (2) totally agree with Flynn that the second suspect must be taken alive and (3) boy are the Chechens and Russians hacked off! These guys have been in the US since about 2000 and - if they are guilty - the bombings almost certainly have nothing to do with troubles in their former homelands.

How to win friends/nations and influence people/the international stage American style......

joxville
19-Apr-13, 23:35
They'll never take him alive, I think he'll end up shooting himself rather than give himself up, though I'd prefer to see him caught then fried in the chair.

scorrie
20-Apr-13, 02:38
They'll never take him alive, I think he'll end up shooting himself rather than give himself up, though I'd prefer to see him caught then fried in the chair.

He has been caught. Hook up the chair Jox.

Phill
20-Apr-13, 07:22
And can of worms opening as his brother was known to the FBI. NRA types using it as excuse for citizens buying heavy weapons, peeps calling for a US war on terrorism in Chechnya and conspiracy theories running at overload.

George Brims
20-Apr-13, 07:43
Nah, there is some agenda. Seems to be a lot of planning and preparation. 'Nutters' tend to just go ballistic with assault rifles.
So much planning and preparation they had to go and hold up a 7-11 store for getaway money when their pictures appeared on TV. They didn't even get any money. Schizophrenic street people with a badly spelled note can get money out of a 7-11 without a gun. Master criminals these guys were not.

Flynn
20-Apr-13, 07:48
NRA types using it as excuse for citizens buying heavy weapons,

Funny how the NRA is so selective about who should own guns. They weren't clamouring for all black youngsters to carry guns when Treyvon Martin was murdered.

orkneycadian
20-Apr-13, 11:01
Shame the 2nd one didnt get his capital punishment sentence handed out to him in the process like the first one did. The first one won't cost the US taxpayers a lot more money, whilst the 2nd one will no doubt still having hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on him in 20 years time, even if he is on death row. But then there will always be the PC brigade who will pipe up "maybe he is innocent!"

Phill
20-Apr-13, 11:54
So much planning and preparation they had to go and hold up a 7-11 store for getaway money when their pictures appeared on TV. They didn't even get any money. Schizophrenic street people with a badly spelled note can get money out of a 7-11 without a gun. Master criminals these guys were not.These two certainly weren't master criminals, whether there was someone behind them pulling the strings remains to be seen. But there must have been some planning to build the devices, scope out a time and place and coordinate their plot.
To me it looks like they were patsy's or puppets of some other 'organisation'. If it was entirely their own doing from inception then, with a little homework (and as mi16 pointed out), they could of done a hell of a lot more damage.
They, or rather the elder, has been shown how to build a device and was either guided into the plot or left to devise his own. Clearly they never thought past the actual attack.
There is, I'm sure, a pandora's box to open with this scenario.

Shame the 2nd one didnt get his capital punishment sentence handed out to him in the process like the first one did. The first one won't cost the US taxpayers a lot more money, whilst the 2nd one will no doubt still having hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on him in 20 years time, even if he is on death row. But then there will always be the PC brigade who will pipe up "maybe he is innocent!"Apparently he is 'in a serious condition' in hospital. Time yet for him to fall down some stairs depending if he says too much / wrong thing / points fingers / says too little etc.

orkneycadian
20-Apr-13, 12:00
No doubt that even if no. 2 pops his clogs, there will be a never ending stream of evidence that arises from the Big Brother state that will be enough to find out what connections they have or had. Every phone call, email, webpage visited, library book loaned, CCTV camera walked by, tube station transited, etc.

Flynn
20-Apr-13, 12:02
Shame the 2nd one didnt get his capital punishment sentence handed out to him in the process like the first one did. The first one won't cost the US taxpayers a lot more money, whilst the 2nd one will no doubt still having hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on him in 20 years time, even if he is on death row. But then there will always be the PC brigade who will pipe up "maybe he is innocent!"

It is essential he lives. There must be no doubt at all about why they did this, and any associations they had. We do not want another Iraq/Afghanistan.

gleeber
20-Apr-13, 12:20
It would have been much tidier to have killed him but the outcome says a lot about America and it's foundations of freedom and justice. The bombers relatives came over as real Americans. First generation Americans. We would call them incomers in Caithness.
I can't imagine what the future holds for the young guy but the media are going to milk it dry. Maybe it's part of the punishment. He won't do it again.

Phill
20-Apr-13, 12:33
No doubt that even if no. 2 pops his clogs, there will be a never ending stream of evidence that arises from the Big Brother state that will be enough to find out what connections they have or had. Every phone call, email, webpage visited, library book loaned, CCTV camera walked by, tube station transited, etc.They will already have that, be making it up, making it fit or deciding which will be released.

It is essential he lives. There must be no doubt at all about why they did this, and any associations they had. We do not want another Iraq/Afghanistan.

It would have been much tidier to have killed him but the outcome says a lot about America and it's foundations of freedom and justice. The bombers relatives came over as real Americans. First generation Americans. We would call them incomers in Caithness.
I can't imagine what the future holds for the young guy but the media are going to milk it dry. Maybe it's part of the punishment. He won't do it again.
If he lives I doubt he would get a fair hearing. It appears the FBI may have dropped a clanger and they may want to divert some unnecessary attention.
I feel the fact he didn't take his own life gives an indication that this man hasn't a clue what he's actually done nor the consequences, I suspect his big brother has used him entirely.

ducati
20-Apr-13, 13:56
They will already have that, be making it up, making it fit or deciding which will be released.

If he lives I doubt he would get a fair hearing. It appears the FBI may have dropped a clanger and they may want to divert some unnecessary attention.
I feel the fact he didn't take his own life gives an indication that this man hasn't a clue what he's actually done nor the consequences, I suspect big brother has used him entirely.

Here we go. Where is Fred? It wos the CIA wot done it. :eek:

cptdodger
20-Apr-13, 20:23
This is interesting (from the BBC Website)

"Officials have said they intend to question him without reading him his Miranda rights - the standard statement informing suspects they have a right to a lawyer and to remain silent - citing a "public safety exception".

The decision was criticised by the American Civil Liberties Union, which said such an exemption only applied in the case of immediate threats, and that there was no "open-ended" way in which a suspect could have such rights removed.
"We must not waver from our tried-and-true justice system, even in the most difficult of times. Denial of rights is un-American and will only make it harder to obtain fair convictions," it said in a statement. (http://www.aclu.org/organization-news-and-highlights/aclu-statement-miranda-rights-boston-bombings-suspect)

I would imagine there will be an uproar about this, regardless who he is or what he has done.

gleeber
20-Apr-13, 20:32
I was listening to an American senator tonight and he said to hell with his miranda rights. Apparently the American justice system has an amendment whereby enemies of the state who may still be a threat to the country can be questioned for 30 days before they can get access to the legal system. I can agree with that.

Phill
20-Apr-13, 22:26
The issue surrounding his rights / lack of seems to be stirring some commotion. There is also talk of making him an 'enemy combatant' and that removes his right to legal counsel.
To me it all seems a little pointless as the evidence so far appears to be pretty damning, whatever road they go down this guys life is set for jail anyway. Just seems they want to skip 'due process'.

secrets in symmetry
20-Apr-13, 22:30
Just seems they want to skip 'due process'.Agreed. Doing this won't win them many friends.

Gleeber supports their misuse of power, but isn't that what we expect of the man in charge at the Vatican?

Alrock
20-Apr-13, 22:30
....There is also talk of making him an 'enemy combatant' and that removes his right to legal counsel....

Maybe wanting to take him to Guantanamo for a spot of Water Boarding?

secrets in symmetry
20-Apr-13, 22:56
Maybe wanting to take him to Guantanamo for a spot of Water Boarding?They might have done exactly that if this had happened during the Dubya era. Fortunately, Obama wouldn't do that - I hope!

cptdodger
20-Apr-13, 23:16
Do'nt get me wrong, this guy deserves everything they throw at him, legally speaking, which will not be the death penalty because Massachusetts abolished it in 1984. What I am thinking is though, the fact that they have not read him his rights, or allowed him access to a lawyer, would that not allow him to get off on a technicality, if he survives long enough to go to court ? I do'nt know how they would get round that.

cptdodger
20-Apr-13, 23:23
Seemingly I'm wrong, (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/20/tsarnaev-death-penalty/2099413/) I'm right about the death penalty being abolished in Massachusetts, but -

"Tsarnaev is likely to be charged under federal law, because the federal government has more legal and investigative resources and Massachusetts does not have a state death penalty statute, the former prosecutors said. Saying there's "no way that this is going to be a state case," Sullivan added that "the federal interest would not be satisfied by a state prosecution."

So, it appears, if he is tried by the state - no death penalty. Federal law - death penalty. If I'm right, federal law covers the whole of the US, and presumably because some states still have the death penalty, federal law can implement that.

cptdodger
21-Apr-13, 12:51
I have to say, very well done to the organisers of the London Marathon (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22236946) for their sensitive handling of the Boston Marathon tragedy. And the vast crowds out today to support the runners are just amazing.

macadamia
21-Apr-13, 13:01
Agreed: USA Ambassador commented on the way the Special Relationship was honoured by the actions of the Marathon organisers and runners. Well done to all.