PDA

View Full Version : web cams

Mr P Cannop
13-Jan-07, 16:23
Can we have live web cams in Thurso & Wick ??

whats your views about this ??

pedromcgrory
13-Jan-07, 16:25

why u feel the need for it lol, where why etc cctv is already installed isnt at enough???

Mr P Cannop
13-Jan-07, 17:19
just like camvista

Edinburgh has live cams

Stumurf
13-Jan-07, 17:44
my initial response is why? But after a little thought i think i identify with why you would want them there,

With reagards to supporting or opposing the idea, i dont really have an opinion, i wouldnt be apposed to the idea, nor would i feel strongly enough to support any action of requesting thier installation...

Sorry i cant be any more constructive....

Mr P Cannop
13-Jan-07, 17:51
to let people who are not in thurso wick to see whats doing

pjyemail
13-Jan-07, 17:59
could be a good idea, howevery what would you point it at.

pedromcgrory
13-Jan-07, 18:13
to let people who are not in thurso wick to see whats doing

yeah exciting stuff could see them rushing home quickley incase they miss thurso pipe band or wick street fighter cashing his giro mmm not

Royster1911
13-Jan-07, 18:14
Are you up for funding this project Paul? I`m sure Bill would consider it if you were. We could have it focused on your house. Would that be interesting enough for our far flung friends?:D

Mr P Cannop
13-Jan-07, 20:08
omg..................

jimbews
13-Jan-07, 20:15

Views are fine.
Controllable webcams run the risk of being accused of infringing personal liberty.

The rules and regulations that had to be studied when I was installing a security camera in a PC Classroom were horrendous. I believe the same rules might apply to a webcam and I think many of the controllable webcams have been limited in their ability to zoom in on individuals.

But then if you don't work somewhere with a Data Protection Officer....

Wizzbang
13-Jan-07, 21:03
Have you seen this one ?
http://www.tugmistress.co.uk/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=38

She needs donations to improve the cam quality. Can be done via Paypal
:)

Wizzbang
13-Jan-07, 21:10
Oh and this one
You need to click on the little cam picture on the map
http://www.trafficscotland.org/views.asp?mi=northernscotland.gif

Alice in Blunderland
13-Jan-07, 21:20
Views are fine.
Controllable webcams run the risk of being accused of infringing personal liberty.

The rules and regulations that had to be studied when I was installing a security camera in a PC Classroom were horrendous. I believe the same rules might apply to a webcam and I think many of the controllable webcams have been limited in their ability to zoom in on individuals.

But then if you don't work somewhere with a Data Protection Officer....

This post caught my attention....if you are a council tennant and dont give a stuff it seems you can install security cameras where you like.

A resident in our village has two, one looking at his house and the other one in his bedroom watching all that goes on in the village.He can even watch the little kiddies coming and going to school ....[evil] He can zoom in and out where he likes, even my mum and dads bedroom window (brave man ) :eek: .

sam
13-Jan-07, 22:43
This post caught my attention....if you are a council tennant and dont give a stuff it seems you can install security cameras where you like.

A resident in our village has two, one looking at his house and the other one in his bedroom watching all that goes on in the village.He can even watch the little kiddies coming and going to school ....[evil] He can zoom in and out where he likes, even my mum and dads bedroom window (brave man ) .

Thats one good reason why these things shouldnt be allowed[disgust]

Moira
13-Jan-07, 23:06

A resident in our village has two, one looking at his house and the other one in his bedroom watching all that goes on in the village......

Alice - I'm not sure of the exact rules & regs which apply to private security cameras. I am aware of such a camera not far from where I live - there is a yellow notice attached to a lamp-post quite closeby advising the public that a security camera is in operation. I've not studied the exact wording but I know it is there. These folk had good reason to instal a camera.

If you've got concerns over the one in your village it might be worthwhile giving the Council a ring to find out if this person has the requisite permissions etc.

sam
13-Jan-07, 23:16
http://www.nfh.org.uk/resources/Articles/cctv/index.php

Alice in Blunderland
13-Jan-07, 23:29
Thanks for that folks. :)

The council know about these cameras ( its a council house), so does the education authority ( its beside the school ) and the police..............to date they are still there and there are no signs informing passers by of them. Looks like some people if they have the neck can do what they want with no comeback. I was most bothered as the house is beside the school and we are not even allowed to put the kids picture into the org any more but he can set up a camera right across from the school :confused

Moira
13-Jan-07, 23:41
Alice - what can I say? I'm gobsmacked by your reply - I certainly wouldn't let it rest there - somehow I don't think you intend to either - keep on their case -that is awful!

Alice in Blunderland
13-Jan-07, 23:54
It will take time but eventually hopefuly the camera will go.The council did say that most of their policies were written before these cameras were around .

The education office, well ,they havent done anything about it yet but they wont let you take recordings of the children without permission af parents so this one puzzles me.

I am in no way saying this guy doesnt maybe have his own reasons for this camera (cant think why he needs one its not as though he is loaded and in fear of kidnapping) but it puts lots of people off when they see it.:~(

Stumurf
14-Jan-07, 14:32
After some thought, i would definately support the idea of a webcam attached to (thurso) Lidl roof that overlooked the bay and Hoy...

Or maybe one at duncansby head, overlooking the rock stacks and maybe the seals on the beach there...

As you can tell, i would much prefer a scenic webcam instead of one that was pointed at the centre of either town...

Sorry to hear about the troubles your having with the security cam alice, i am sure there is a sensible reason, seeing as it is attached to council property... although don't quote me on that.. :)