PDA

View Full Version : Wick Fever Hospital

Angela
13-Jan-07, 15:26
Sorry, not the cheeriest of topics for a cold & grey January day!

Researching my family history, I've come across quite a few deaths from infectious diseases. :(

One of my aunts died in 1925 in the City Hospital, Edinburgh, when she was 16 -she was taken to hospital with scarlet fever & there contracted meningitis.

Earlier cases of "scarlatina" and diphtheria, also TB -people seemed to be kept at home. I think by "scarlatina" they meant scarlet fever, although I know scarlatina is now known to be a lesser illness.

I'm sure I remember there being a fever hospital near Wick in the 1950s, am I right? I don't know if it was still open then, or where exactly it was. Does anyone know more (?anything) more about isolation hospitals in Caithness?

I think I need hot chocolate & a crumpet to cheer myself up now! :)

Angela

connieb19
13-Jan-07, 16:59
The old fever Hospital was at the top of the Cemetry. It's still there but its a house now.

trinkie
13-Jan-07, 17:25
In the 1950s the Fever Hospital was set back in a field across from the Cemetery... Where Homebase is today .

connieb19
13-Jan-07, 17:26
In the 1950s the Fever Hospital was set back in a field across from the Cemetery... Where Homebase is today .
What was in the house at the cemetry then, I was always told it was the fever hospital?

Angela
13-Jan-07, 18:46
Was the fever hospital still in use then? I seem to remember it about 1956/7ish? But it may no longer have been a hospital...

jimbews
13-Jan-07, 20:00
Was the fever hospital still in use then? I seem to remember it about 1956/7ish? But it may no longer have been a hospital...

Was it not called the "Town & County" hospital.

At the end of Hospital Road:

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=336000&Y=950000&width=700&height=400&gride=334429.557185573&gridn=952030.771127574&srec=0&coordsys=gb&db=freegaz&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&keepicon=true&zm=0&out.x=4&out.y=6&scale=5000

trinkie
13-Jan-07, 20:33
Connieb19,

Do you mean the house at the back of the cemetery? Outside the wall, with open fields in front of it - looking towards the sea? If so, that was a private house in the 1950s..... early 60s.
I have a feeling it is all closed up now.

plumber
13-Jan-07, 20:44
It was part of the town and County Hospital, Don't know if that was the name then, But that is where it was, at the top end of Hospital Road

connieb19
13-Jan-07, 21:41
Connieb19,

Do you mean the house at the back of the cemetery? Outside the wall, with open fields in front of it - looking towards the sea? If so, that was a private house in the 1950s..... early 60s.
I have a feeling it is all closed up now.
No I mean the house at the top of the Harmsworth park, it was the fever hospital before the Town and County was buillt.

Fran
14-Jan-07, 02:10
Im sure the fever hospital was the town and county hospital, hospital road, wick. I knew the matron who worked there so many years ago and she often talked about the infectious diseases etc at that hospital.

Angela
14-Jan-07, 11:35
Thanks everybody - I know this isn't strictly speaking genealogy! It's just that these odd memories crop up now & then and send me off at a tangent...

AllanT
26-Jan-07, 23:08
I think Connie is correct in saying that the fever hospital originally was in the building at the top of the old cemetary. I have an old map of Wick which marks it as the fever hospital.

Possibly it then moved to the nearby Town and County hospital. The building in question is now 2 houses I think, I wonder if the people know they now live in what was a fever hospital.

SNOWDOG
27-Jan-07, 02:20
The Cambusavie and a part of the T+C were the fever units in the north. Can just remember the former being used for this purpose, always mind the T+C being used as it is now!

Jim Leslie
08-Mar-08, 00:15
I believe the Town and County was opened in 1910. In 1911 it had the following cases:- Erysipelas - 1; Diphtheria - 4; Scarlet Fever - 40; Enteric Fever 35. This is the hospital which got hit by a Whitley bomber in 1941 which destroyed the Nurses accommodation and the admin block? I believe it was demolished and rebuilt in the 50s? and for a time called the Timbury Hospital?
I've got lots of question marks because I'm not sure of my information. If you can confirm any of it I'd be most grateful!
Jim L

Jim Leslie
08-Mar-08, 00:18
Forgot to add - there was also a cholera hospital opened in 1834. Most of my information comes from reading Frank Foden's book which is excellent.
Jim L

Fran
08-Mar-08, 04:31
The Town and County Hospital, Hospital road,wick was definetly the fever hospital. the late Mrs Ella Banks was matron there for many years and told me many stories of when it was the fever hospital and about times there during the war.

Tighsonas4
10-Mar-08, 20:28
The Town and County Hospital, Hospital road,wick was definetly the fever hospital. the late Mrs Ella Banks was matron there for many years and told me many stories of when it was the fever hospital and about times there during the war.
the town and county hospital was used as such as far back as 1941
the other half was in it twice then the matron at that time was a miss
macvillary. can remember the bomber sitting right on the roof
in fact i know of one local lassie who lost her life regards tony

Whitewater
21-Mar-08, 21:37
A section of the Town & County hospital was used as a fever hospital in the early 50s. My wife spent some time in isolation there when she was 5 or 6.

Angela
21-Mar-08, 22:06
I believe the Town and County was opened in 1910. In 1911 it had the following cases:- Erysipelas - 1; Diphtheria - 4; Scarlet Fever - 40; Enteric Fever 35.

I'd not heard of erysipelas until fairly recently, when I discovered my great aunt Christina Sutherland (m.s.Munro) had died of it, and 'complications of pregnancy', in 1921. :( She wasn't taken into hospital though -she died at home -Lochside, Dunnet -aged 32. :(