PDA

View Full Version : The Gallant 500!

macadamia
14-Apr-13, 10:27
We wish to congratulate the 500 souls - yes, FIVE HUNDRED according to this morning's BBC News - who utterly braved both light winds and drizzle to assemble as a throngette in Trafalgar Square yesterday evening to "celebrate" the death of the Iron Lady. One feels sorry for the BBC cub TV reporter who was forced to report as the evening progressed that the number of revellers had declined from that peak figure as their anoraks and leggings got a bit moist. Well done the Spartists, Nihilists, Annihilists and Grave-Dancers! Let us salute the gallant 500! :roll:

ducati
14-Apr-13, 10:34
Whose combined age was about 32.

joxville
14-Apr-13, 10:47
I've never been a fan of Maggie but find it distasteful that people actually celebrate her passing. And no one can say it's a protest, what are they protesting about? My condolences to her family and I hope they don't find the scenes too upsetting.

tonkatojo
14-Apr-13, 10:51
I've never been a fan of Maggie but find it distasteful that people actually celebrate her passing. And no one can say it's a protest, what are they protesting about? My condolences to her family and I hope they don't find the scenes too upsetting.

I find exactly the opposite and distasteful having the national celebration of TBW imposed at our expense.

joxville
14-Apr-13, 11:08
I agree with you Tonks, there shouldn't be a taxpayer funded funeral.

Kasper King
14-Apr-13, 11:10
I find exactly the opposite and distasteful having the national celebration of TBW imposed at our expense.
What does TBW mean?

tonkatojo
14-Apr-13, 11:12
What does TBW mean?

Ask your parents LOL.

Flynn
14-Apr-13, 11:26

I watched Return Of The Jedi. I was disgusted by the distasteful scenes at the end where everyone is celebrating the death of Emperor Palpatine. He may have been divisive, but he was strong and he made decisions and stuck to them, and I think he should get a bit of respect. He was, after all, a little old man who died, when you remove any other context whatsoever.

Flynn
14-Apr-13, 11:33
We wish to congratulate the 500 souls - yes, FIVE HUNDRED according to this morning's BBC News - who utterly braved both light winds and drizzle to assemble as a throngette in Trafalgar Square yesterday evening to "celebrate" the death of the Iron Lady. One feels sorry for the BBC cub TV reporter who was forced to report as the evening progressed that the number of revellers had declined from that peak figure as their anoraks and leggings got a bit moist. Well done the Spartists, Nihilists, Annihilists and Grave-Dancers! Let us salute the gallant 500! :roll:

Actually it was nearer 3000 people, as evidenced here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/video/2013/apr/14/anti-margaret-thatcher-party-trafalgar-square-video

macadamia
14-Apr-13, 11:55
Not 3000, but some very clever "doughnutting" photography, tight close ups, and some "Top Gear" style dynamic editing, which gave the hypnotic impression of a big crowd until you see the spaces right in the epicentre - the area around Nelson's column, which even with 500 would have looked packed. And what positive demonstrations! Apart from the grave-dancers, who wanted to sow how articulate they were by saying Ef a lot, and swilling beer (see the emptiy tinnies on the deck?) And the drab forts expressed which went so well with their drab clothes, innit?

But never mind, the little oafs got a good soaking, and a huge disappointment. Now, just the ritual playing of the naughty song clip this afternoon, and then the THREE hour (BBC TV schedule, Flynn, not TWELVE) hour) ceremonial funeral, and the Usual Suspects can go back in search of somewhere else to practice their victimhood, and history will duly record the contribution of the UK's first woman Prime Minister, a conservative born to an ordinary family, with a nickel spoon in her mouth, and annoyingly given no step up the ladder apart from the ones she trod herself.

Flynn
14-Apr-13, 11:59
But never mind, the little oafs

You mean the people exercising their democratic rights in a free society.

Note to the Moderators, wouldn't it be better to merge this thread with the Margaret Thatcher thread, as it is the same topic?

macadamia
14-Apr-13, 12:05
Flynn, this was a separate observation, and you know it. I merely wished it to be on record. Regarding your first comment - one man's terrorists are always another man's freedom fighters. I have the right to call them "little oafs", not because of their opinions even, just their slovenly use of wardrobe, language, and credibility - of COURSE they have a right to protest, and of COURSE I have the right to dislike their protest, and make disliking noises in what is an open forum.

You want me to shut up, as my thoughts don't align to yours. Sorry. What part of democracy don't you understand?

Flynn
14-Apr-13, 12:07
Flynn, this was a separate observation, and you know it. I merely wished it to be on record. Regarding your first comment - one man's terrorists are always another man's freedom fighters. I have the right to call them "little oafs", not because of their opinions even, just their slovenly use of wardrobe, language, and credibility - of COURSE they have a right to protest, and of COURSE I have the right to dislike their protest, and make disliking noises in what is an open forum.

You want me to shut up, as my thoughts don't align to yours. Sorry. What part of democracy don't you understand?

It is not a separate observation at all because the Trafalgar Square celebrations were mentioned several times in the Margaret Thatcher thread last night.

Flynn
14-Apr-13, 12:18
Interesting comments from 'civilised' tory voters on the Spectator website beneath the story which expresses disappointment there wasn't any trouble at the event:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/04/no-battle-at-trafalgar-celebrations-prove-margaret-thatcher-has-triumphed/

macadamia
14-Apr-13, 12:19
I had ceased to contribute or indeed even look at the further meanderings of that strand for the simple reason there were three or four of you who were by then at the stage of repeating the various folk-canards which you believed to be true. This new thread occurred as the result of a NEW event which took place last night, and which I did not know about until 0900 this morning, when I saw the news report on BBC TV.

Do I get the feeling you'd be a lot happier if I didn't rock your little world of certainty by putting disconcerting facts into the mix?

Flynn
14-Apr-13, 12:23
Do I get the feeling you'd be a lot happier if I didn't rock your little world of certainty by putting disconcerting facts into the mix?

If you ever post anything factual I'll be sure to let you know.

macadamia
14-Apr-13, 12:25
Well done, Kim Il-Flynn. At least a joke is a step in the right direction!

Phill
14-Apr-13, 12:33
Wasn't this actually Millwall fans throwing their pee at the rozzers? (And probably shouting ef off a lot too)

macadamia
14-Apr-13, 12:35
A quick footnote. The BBC News website has dropped ALL reference in its headlines and summaries section of yesterday evening's "huge" rally/party in Trafalgar Square. It is still reporting yesterday afternoon's clash between Wigan and Milwall at footie. Even the BBC has got to give in to facts eventually!

Phill
14-Apr-13, 12:39
Even the BBC has got to give in to facts eventually!No they don't, they just ignore the facts until someone carks it then have a meeting about who gets promoted through their collective incompetence.

Flynn
14-Apr-13, 12:42
A quick footnote. The BBC News website has censored out ALL reference in its headlines and summaries section of yesterday evening's "huge" rally/party in Trafalgar Square. It is still reporting yesterday afternoon's clash between Wigan and Milwall at footie. Even the BBC has got to give in to facts eventually!

Fixed that for you.

macadamia
14-Apr-13, 12:43
I was being generous. You're right, in that any large organisation can coerce the rest of society into leaving it alone when it screws up (government, NHS, Barclays Bank, Post Office, Standard Life, and life's too short to mention the rest.............!)