PDA

View Full Version : Mouldy bread

joxville
13-Apr-13, 23:15
Before I left Scotland last week I bought some Mothers Pride plain bread and Lorne sausage to bring back to Hampshire. Well, the week seems to have passed too quick and when I went to make a sausage sandwich earlier the bread had gone a wee bit mouldy, but since its going to be a few months before I get my hands on another plain loaf then needs must...I pulled off the mouldy bits and had my piece 'n sausage :-)

You don't know how lucky you are up there taking things like plain bread for granted, I have to treat it like gold dust.

golach
13-Apr-13, 23:26
Before I left Scotland last week I bought some Mothers Pride plain bread and Lorne sausage to bring back to Hampshire. Well, the week seems to have passed too quick and when I went to make a sausage sandwich earlier the bread had gone a wee bit mouldy, but since its going to be a few months before I get my hands on another plain loaf then needs must...I pulled off the mouldy bits and had my piece 'n sausage :-)

You don't know how lucky you are up there taking things like plain bread for granted, I have to treat it like gold dust.
Oh jox, plain bread does not keep well these days, I find it goes Mouldy after a day or so, but I love the heel, yummy

mi16
13-Apr-13, 23:30
What is plain bread?

joxville
13-Apr-13, 23:37
A normal loaf that you buy, usually a squarish shape, is referred to as a pan loaf in certain areas of Scotland; the Mothers Pride I'm referring to is a batch type, which may be ten to twelve heads of dough put into a frame, they then prove and are put into the oven, when removed they have risen tall but slim, and are pulled apart to give you individual loaves. See here for a Plain loaf: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=mothers+pride+bread&FORM=HDRSC2

joxville
13-Apr-13, 23:41
Even though I used to work in a bakery, I've no idea why they are called Plain, in reality it's a batch loaf, see my description above. The Pan loaf is because they are done in individual pans, though the pans themselves may be joined.

Kodiak
13-Apr-13, 23:44

Ahhh! This brings back memories to me. When I first Started as a Lightkeeper many years ago, I was working at a Pillar Lighthouse, Rattary Head Lighthouse.

We were provisioned once every two weeks and when it came to bread we bought in Unsliced Baker Bread ie bread with no preservatives in. The main problem was that we were not supplied with a freezer, but we did have a large Paraffin Fridge in which we kept the bread as well as other perishable goods.

Usually, even though it was in the fridge, the bread tended to go off after the first 3 days and by the 10th day there would be mold growing on the outside of the Loaf. So what we did was to cut off the crust until all the mold was gone. By time relief day came around, sometimes after cutting off all the Mold we would only have a 3 inch square of bread to toast for breakfast.

I don't think this did us any harm but I am quite sure employers would not get away with this now.

Kodiak
13-Apr-13, 23:48
Joxville if you really want to buy Plain Bread. You can buy it online, I have pasted the link below if it of help to you. :-

http://www.scottishfoodoverseas.com/Fresh-Food/Bread/Traditional-Scottish-Plain-Loaf-41sc-226p.aspx

Dog-eared
13-Apr-13, 23:49
I had very bad food poisoning from mouldy bread once.

Oddquine
13-Apr-13, 23:53

I take out what I need in bread for a couple of days or so and bung the rest in the freezer in six slice bags after I got hacked off chucking out most of loaves because I couldn't get through it fast enough. It toasts from frozen and defrosts to be fine in sandwiches.

Beat Bug
14-Apr-13, 07:56
I make my own bread, it tastes far nicer than bought bread, and it doesn't last long enough to go off!

Flynn
14-Apr-13, 08:00
My cousin used to work for Mothers Pride. He refuses to eat it because he's seen how it's made.

Bill Fernie
14-Apr-13, 08:03
Does anyone recall the Campaign for Real Bread a number of years ago. The pros and cons of the Chorleywood Bread Making process against origianl methods of m0aking bread and whether brown or white breads were better for you.

There there were the taste arguments. And is white bread knocked about so much that there is less goodness left after the process even if it does contain all you need to live.

Most of our bread bought in supermarkets and other places is made by The Chorley Wood Method http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorleywood_bread_process enabling faster mass production. Do you think that is what is best or just ok for eating.

Has the UK just accpeted this fairly bland bread whereas many continental countries seem to have wider range from their local bakeries?

Do any local bakeries make oold fashioned bread any longer or do they just do the same as the big boys.

Perhaps you have a favourite type of bread and can tell us if it is available in Caithness or if we can only get it by bringing it back after trips away south.

Should we have our own Caithness Campaign for Real Bread?

A Campaign for Real Bread can be found at http://www.sustainweb.org/realbread/ and it gives details of why real bread is better for you.

But is it too expensive for many people?

joxville
14-Apr-13, 08:40
Thanks for the link Bill, I have to admit I'd never heard of the Chorleywood Method. It's been 11 years since I last worked in Johnston's Bakery but from what I recall, we did a use a similar method because the time scale from mixing to packing seems to match but maybe that's because we had a smaller volume of bread to make. BTW, I can honestly say that in all the years I worked in the bakery, not once did I ever smell that enticing aroma of fresh bread which you get in supermarket bakeries, that aroma is in fact a manufactured smell designed to lure the customer in.

Flynn
14-Apr-13, 08:47
Does anyone recall the Campaign for Real Bread a number of years ago. The pros and cons of the Chorleywood Bread Making process against origianl methods of m0aking bread and whether brown or white breads were better for you.

There there were the taste arguments. And is white bread knocked about so much that there is less goodness left after the process even if it does contain all you need to live.

Most of our bread bought in supermarkets and other places is made by The Chorley Wood Method http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorleywood_bread_process enabling faster mass production. Do you think that is what is best or just ok for eating.

Has the UK just accpeted this fairly bland bread whereas many continental countries seem to have wider range from their local bakeries?

Do any local bakeries make oold fashioned bread any longer or do they just do the same as the big boys.

Perhaps you have a favourite type of bread and can tell us if it is available in Caithnessor if we can only get it by bringing it back after trips away south.

Should we have our own Caithness Campaign for Real Bread?

A Campaign for Real Bread can be found at http://www.sustainweb.org/realbread/ and it gives details of why real bread is better for you.

But is it too expensive for many people?

The problem these days isn't so much how the bread is made, the problem is the wheat. Modern wheat (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/wheat-gluten_b_1274872.html) bears almost no relation to ancient wheat, and is responsible for many serious health issues facing the world today.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/wheat-gluten_b_1274872.html

golach
14-Apr-13, 08:55
A little bit of history for you Jox, what you bought from Mothers Pride was technically a wrapped Half Loaf of plain breed, before the days of wrapped bread Plain beard was sold in pairs as a loaf, a half loaf was one only. Pan bread sold with an all round crust was a little more expensive, hence the term "pan loafy" meant you had a bit more money and were posh and well to do.
I remember the fights with my siblings over who got the dark crusted "heel" of the plain loaf, a fresh thick heel toasted and smothered in butter, can taste it yet Jox, thanks for awakening the memories, I am salivating as I type

joxville
14-Apr-13, 08:56
There could be some truth I that Flynn, maybe because of a larger world population and the use of pesticides, the forced growing of wheat has changed it's goodness.

Flynn
14-Apr-13, 08:59
There could be some truth I that Flynn, maybe because of a larger world population and the use of pesticides, the forced growing of wheat has changed it's goodness.
Read the information at the link. I rarely eat bread these days.

shazzap
14-Apr-13, 09:08
A normal loaf that you buy, usually a squarish shape, is referred to as a pan loaf in certain areas of Scotland; the Mothers Pride I'm referring to is a batch type, which may be ten to twelve heads of dough put into a frame, they then prove and are put into the oven, when removed they have risen tall but slim, and are pulled apart to give you individual loaves. See here for a Plain loaf: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=mothers+pride+bread&FORM=HDRSC2 I used to get these in Tesco, and Some frozen food shops sold them. I don't shop like I used to, since my illness, so not sure now. Will have to look, as I like this bread too.

shazzap
14-Apr-13, 09:20
Just remembered this. Watched a programme were it said. You would need to eat about 10 tomatoes now, to get the same benefit of one tomato from say 40 years ago. The same for oranges etc. Is this because everything is forced now?

EDDIE
14-Apr-13, 10:02
I make my own bread, it tastes far nicer than bought bread, and it doesn't last long enough to go off!

I had bought a bread making machine and when the bread is getting made it makes a beautiful smell and if you eat the bread straight after its been made its fine but after a day the bread goes dry were its not really enjoyable i bought a bread making machine thinking it would be cheaper but its not really.Its just nice to have bread making machine for now and again.

Bill Fernie
14-Apr-13, 16:14
By chance today there was a programme on Radio Scotland all about making bread. It is the Kitchen Cafe and lasts 55 minutes. Go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rrh6j

(http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rrh6j)

squidge
14-Apr-13, 17:37
My hubby likes plain loaves so I usually buy one at weekend. Otherwise I buy ordinary white sliced bread. I dont have a tummy it upsets and I can take it or leave it. If I buy lovely artisan bread or make my own I can eat a whole loaf!!!! ( with the accompanying butter of course). Im a wee fat wifie as it is, if i ate home made or lovely bread i would need rolling along on my side like a barrel!

George Brims
15-Apr-13, 17:47
A normal loaf that you buy, usually a squarish shape, is referred to as a pan loaf in certain areas of Scotland; the Mothers Pride I'm referring to is a batch type, which may be ten to twelve heads of dough put into a frame, they then prove and are put into the oven, when removed they have risen tall but slim, and are pulled apart to give you individual loaves. See here for a Plain loaf: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=mothers+pride+bread&FORM=HDRSC2
Ten to twelve? When I worked in the now defunct Burnett's Bakery in Inversnecky (two of my student summers) they came out of the oven on a conveyor, like a herd of buffalo, 72 wide! Parents, if you want to be sure your kid is determined to finish college, get them a really boring job like feeding a bread slicing machine for the summer. Variety was swapping places with the other bloke, so he fed the bread in and I put the sliced wrapped loves on the other trolley.