PDA

View Full Version : First mention of "Thurso"

Kenneth
12-Apr-13, 14:40
Does anyone know when / where the first mention of Thurso is (or in it's Viking form...)

I've heard it might have been about 1014 in Ian Cassell's book The Raven's Banner?

Which would mean next year is Thurso 1000th birthday (of sorts!)

Ken

rob murray
12-Apr-13, 14:42
First heard the term when I was 2 !

sids
12-Apr-13, 14:51
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Raven_Banner

The Raven Banner, by Ian Cassels, appears to have been written around 1995.

There are earlier reference to Thurso!

golach
12-Apr-13, 15:33
according to The Ravens Banner, Earl Thorfinn of Orkney killed Earl Muddan of Scotland in 1040 at Thurso. page 7 of the Ravens Banner.
Meanings of Thurso.
(1) Thors River
(2) Bull River
(3) Thors Mound

Kenneth
12-Apr-13, 15:36
Ah excellent Sids - do you know of these earlier references? When they are dated, where they are from?

sids
12-Apr-13, 17:09
Ah excellent Sids - do you know of these earlier references? When they are dated, where they are from?

In 1961, my granny said she was going to Thurso on Morrisons' bus. That's long before 1995.

sids
12-Apr-13, 17:12
according to The Ravens Banner, Earl Thorfinn of Orkney killed Earl Muddan of Scotland in 1040 at Thurso. page 7 of the Ravens Banner.
Meanings of Thurso.
(1) Thors River
(2) Bull River
(3) Thors Mound

A book written in the 1990s, which mentions an event in 1040, is not a 1040 reference.

Where did Mr Cassels get the info? That would be his reference.

golach
12-Apr-13, 19:18
Where did Mr Cassels get the info? That would be his reference.

Mr Cassels acknowledges that assistance of the following in helping with the publication of his book
The Caithness and Sutherland Enterprise board, Caithness Tourist Office & Highlands & Islands Region library. Ian lives and works in Thurso, why not ask him when you may next meet?

sids
12-Apr-13, 20:33
Mr Cassels acknowledges that assistance of the following in helping with the publication of his book
The Caithness and Sutherland Enterprise board, Caithness Tourist Office & Highlands & Islands Region library. Ian lives and works in Thurso, why not ask him when you may next meet?

I'm impressed to hear that the kindly old archivists of the Tourist Board have kept their records in good order for a thousand years. That should be Mr Kenneth's first stop, without a doubt.