PDA

View Full Version : Monopoly or Ker Plunk?

Cedric Farthsbottom III
13-Jan-07, 04:12
There's two games on the go the night.There might be a few that ye might like better like Operation or Frustration,etc.I'm no startin a poll,cos some folk vote on polls but don't give a reason.So what is it ma orger pals.Monopoly or Ker Plunk?Ye only have to say!!!:lol: :lol:

Mine is

Ker Plunk....................1-0

Moira
13-Jan-07, 04:23
Hi Cedric

Just checking in here - moved the thread to the Games Forum. I like Kerplunk but prefer Monopoly - always had my eye on the property & the money - lol!

Frustration was good too as was Operation & Buckaroo - always had me jumping out of my skin - and that was after the kids went to bed.

Big Jean
13-Jan-07, 04:38
Mine is Monopoly and I play fair, unlike some I have heard about !! hee hee !

henry20
13-Jan-07, 09:20
I'd say Kerplunk, but only because Monopoly can last for hours and I tend to want to give up whether I'm losing or not! :lol:

Bill Fernie
13-Jan-07, 10:49
Over the holidays we decided to have an evening play the Edinburgh version of monopoly we had been given as present nearly a year ago.

We played the short version of the rules whereby a few properties are dealt out at the start (it fairly speeds up the game). Not havng played the game for many years I was reminded how relaxing playing board games can be and with glass wine etc, conversation about almost anything and a few laughs as the game progresses.

With no children in our household we rarely play games these days but the four of us had an enjoyable evening. We will probably go back to whist or some other card game for another evening.

Angela
13-Jan-07, 11:50
Do whist drives still exist?-my Mun used to go to them a lot in the 1950s/60s. (Also beetle drives, but I've no idea what they were!)

She taught me to play whist & other card games at an early age & my uncle taught me dominos - then monopoly & scrabble - and another uncle taught me draughts & chess. (Yes, I was an only child).

But I did play kerplunk & other "plastic" games with my kids. What was the one where you drop round coloured things into a frame??? The trouble was I really wanted to win as much as they did...

I play backgammon on the net these days -not as much fun as with a "real" opponent though. Especially if you're sitting in the sun at a Greek taverna while you're playing....

henry20
13-Jan-07, 12:43
http://whatson.caithness.org/event.php?id=4652

Yes, Whist Drives do exist. I have a feeling a beetle drive was about rolling a dice and being the first to complete a beetle - each body part had a different number on the dice. I vaguely remember my granny teaching me the game, but I may be wrong.

Angela
13-Jan-07, 14:12
http://whatson.caithness.org/event.php?id=4652

Yes, Whist Drives do exist. I have a feeling a beetle drive was about rolling a dice and being the first to complete a beetle - each body part had a different number on the dice. I vaguely remember my granny teaching me the game, but I may be wrong.

That's a relief - I'm sure I thought as a child it was to do with real beetles racing each other!:( which didn't appeal to me much...

Piglet
13-Jan-07, 14:28
Definetly Monopoly.

My daughter bought the electronic game with vouchers she got at christmas. You can also have the game with time limit so that u add up all properties & money once times up. Kids love it.

candyfloss
13-Jan-07, 14:33
Has to be kerplunk for me, monoploy takes too long and i end up getting bored :)

Bobinovich
13-Jan-07, 16:59
What was the one where you drop round coloured things into a frame???

I reckon you must mean Connect 4.

Anyone play/remember Reversi (aka Othello)? A game which could turn tables in an instant?

Cedric Farthsbottom III
14-Jan-07, 22:52
So the score is sitting at 4-4,who will next take the lead.The suspense is killing me:lol: :lol:

Angela
14-Jan-07, 23:13
It was Connect 4, you're right.

Used to play Othello with the kids too. The travel versions were really handy on holiday.

I'd choose ker-plunk over monopoly but I still like card games best:D

the charlatans
14-Jan-07, 23:22
Ker Plunk.

My mum cheated on monopoly. Plus it gets boring when you go to mortgages.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
14-Jan-07, 23:48
6-4 to the Plunk.As a wee topic as a side issue did anybody ever understand the rules to Cluedo.Ye put aw the cards into the wee black envelope,the murderer,the room and the weapon.It never ever worked oot.Maybe we should get J.B Fletcher on the case.Mind ye widna have liked to live in her coastal village of Cabot Cove,there must have been a higher murder to population rate their than anywhere.