PDA

View Full Version : Microchip Cat Flap?

M Swanson
10-Apr-13, 11:56
I wonder if anyone can advise me, please? I have a 15 year old cat, Jack, and a couple of ferals have arrived, that are very aggressive and spiteful. They're always chasing him and he's too old to take care of himself. I have a standard cat flap, but would be much happier, if only he was able to gain access to the house. I believe a microchip operated one, may be the answer, but I'm concerned that it may malfunction and trap my boy outside with the ferals. I'm particularly worried, that when I'm away from home, this may happen and he'll have no sanctuary overnight. My son visits twice a day, to take care of him, but will not be on site during the night. Has anyone installed one of these flaps and have you found any problem with them? I'd be grateful for any advice you can offer me. Many thanks.

vwgolf
10-Apr-13, 13:29
Great device I have had my one for over 3 years and 3 sets of batteries.
My one is a sureflap, around £100 i think it cost me but well worth the dosh if your cat is a pussey. Other cats started coming and eating his food. He was always scared so had no choice to fit the sureflap for piece of mind for us both and an easy install.

Good luck, vdub

M Swanson
10-Apr-13, 15:53
Thank you so much for the advice, vdub. It was a very positive feedback and one I'll take on board. I've just Googled to find more info and a few folks have expressed concerns, that the microchip can move in the cats' body, which can shut the system down. That's my prime concern. Also, tail-gating has been mentioned. Obviously, neither of these have been a problem to you. Can anyone else write of their experiences please?

Many thanks again, vdub. x

cesare
10-Apr-13, 17:16
im not here to rain on your parade,but aint that 2x your weekly budget?...its true what people say...you cant hide money eh

M Swanson
14-Apr-13, 19:53
Does anyone else have any experience of this cat flap to offer me, please? I need to make a decision soon.

Dadie
14-Apr-13, 22:33
I had one linked up to a locket thing on the collar..which was fine until the pest lost his collar one night while out and couldnt get into the shed.
One wet pussy that was sitting on the doorstep in the morning looking at me like it was my fault, kinda put me off.
I now take him in every night...but it might be worth it if you are away and there is someone to keep an eye on the cat.
think the newer ones can be locked to let the cat in or out(as well as both ways) only as well.

M Swanson
15-Apr-13, 08:14
Thanks very much for the advice, Dadie. I bought my Jack a collar like you mention, when he was a kitten, but he became caught in a tree and I was lucky to be there to stop him from hanging, so I've never used one again. This really isn't an easy choice and I think for now, I'll continue with my standard cat flap. I don't mind spending the money, but it'll be wasted if I can't get peace of mind with Jack. I have to be very sure he won't get trapped outside, whilst I'm away.

I appreciate your advice, as usual D. :cool: