PDA

View Full Version : Demonisation of the "poor"

rob murray
08-Apr-13, 12:34
Well its now all out in the open, after years of subtle and not too subtle propaganda portraying / demonising the "poor" as work shy skivers, the Con Dems have played their hand, tax cuts for millionaires, continuation of rip off banking bonuses, balanced nicely with the most hard hitting ( ever ) tax policies against low waged, employed workers, the sick / disabled and the unemployed. Very nicely achieved, and a political blinder, based on the lowest of the low : divide and rule. Works all the time ! 10 / 10 to the Con dems !

rob murray
08-Apr-13, 15:12
The difference between the deserving and undeserving poor..this has been with us for centuries : now, as off this week end, however, we have absolute clarity...everyone is un deserving, period. if your poor or in reduced circumstances tough, get a job, that is what Osbourne, Cameron and Duncan Smith been preaching for ages....work being preferable to benefits....fine...if there is work...if theres none then Im afraid all benefit recipients are tarred with the same brush...you are undeserving scroungers. Thats it in a nut shell, and judging by the lack of posts on this thread seems like a lot of people agree...but not me though !!

Thumper
08-Apr-13, 15:16
The problem is there are people who do not want to work,but instead to trying to target them the government puts us all under the same title! The ones who have spent generations not working but yet living an almost comfortable life will continue to do so,the real poor will pay the price x

Flynn
08-Apr-13, 15:20
On the plus side the tories' figurehead is dead. And good riddance.

rob murray
08-Apr-13, 15:40
The problem is there are people who do not want to work,but instead to trying to target them the government puts us all under the same title! The ones who have spent generations not working but yet living an almost comfortable life will continue to do so,the real poor will pay the price x

Yes but.....Everyone is seen as un deserving, period thats the way it is, if your poor or in reduced circumstances tough, get a job, that is what Osbourne, Cameron and Duncan Smith have been preaching for ages....work being preferable to benefits....fine...if there is work...if theres none /very little than chances of getting work remain very slim, but Im afraid all benefit recipients are tarred with the same brush...you are all undeserving scroungers, sorry you cant differentiate between people who do not want to work and those who do but cant get a job...tough..by definition you are all undeserving ! See below for supposed rational explanation :

Type into Google ...Says Law, basically this is the economic philosophical corner stone of Con den "benefit" policy : supply creates its own demand : so basically the supply ( of labour ) creates its own demand but like every other good, this is relative to prices /wages available : according to this wisdom then, no one should be un employed, people ( the labour supply ) not in work have simply priced themselves out of work ( ie the argument that benefits are higher than what people can get paid in work, so choose not to work...so everyone unemployed should get work at the prevailing rates

rob murray
08-Apr-13, 16:06
Well that's my story and i'm sticking to that. So let's have another drink and let's talk about the blues. Blues is about dignity, it's about self-respect, and no matter what they take away from you - that's yours for keeps. I remember how it was, how every medium - T.V. and papers and radio and all those people were saying: 'you're on the scrap-heap, you're useless', and I remember how easy it was to start believing that. I remember how you'd hear people take it for granted that it was true - just 'cause someone with an ounce of power said so. And that's a problem now, too many oddballs, too many pocketbook psychologists and would-be philosophers with an axe to grind. But there's a solution, it's not easy, but it's a matter of coming to terms in your heart with situation you're in, a matter of choosing how things go for you and not having things forced upon you. There are plenty of forces against you, forcing you against your will, your ideals - you've got to hope for the best, and that's the best you can hope for - you've got to hope against hope... I remember something Sal Paradise said, he said: 'the city intellectuals of the world are debauched from the full body blood-of-the-land and are just rootless fools'. So listen, when they smile, the condescending pat-on-the-back comes and says: 'we're sorry, but you're nothing, you've got nothing for us and we've got nothing for you', you say: 'No', and say it loud: "NO!", and remember, people who talk about revolution and a class-struggle without referring explicitly to everyday life, without understanding what is subversive about love, and what is positive in the refusal and constraint...such people have a corpse in their mouth..."

John Little
08-Apr-13, 16:11
2015 Rob...

They have no mandate for this and most people in the UK do not want it.

The dustbin of History beckons.

rob murray
08-Apr-13, 16:42
[QUOTE=John Little;1019479]2015 Rob...

They have no mandate for this and most people in the UK do not want it.

The dustbin of History beckons.

Yes agreed, but they have in my mind successfully created a divide and rule / demonisation "policy" which to be quite honest going by this site is obviously working, in terms of how the "poor" are seen. Once the cuts really hit in then urban organised opposition on the streets aka poll tax opposition will kick in, if they thought last years riots were a passing phase then I predict a hell of a lot more, anger and hatred has to come to a head. Not that Im advocating violence etc but surely no one can be surprised if all hell breaks out : we.ve een there 32 years ago, Toxteth, Brixton etc...riots were frustration to a system that didn't give a damn about ordinary people and people saw right through it. " I remember something Sal Paradise said, he said: 'the city intellectuals of the world are debauched from the full body blood-of-the-land and are just rootless fools'. So listen, when they smile, the condescending pat-on-the-back comes and says: 'we're sorry, but you're nothing, you've got nothing for us and we've got nothing for you', you say: 'No', and say it loud: "NO!", only it wont be words just as it was more than words in 81 / 82 !!!!!

John Little
08-Apr-13, 16:51
Yes. I would not be surprised to see civil unrest either. And police. And kettling.

So much for all being in this together.

But the Lib/Dems are going to be extinguished in 2015.

And the Tories will be out of power for years: for good if people had any sense.

M Swanson
08-Apr-13, 18:58
Yes. I would not be surprised to see civil unrest either. And police. And kettling.

Stop fretting John Little, you'll be far removed from any civil unrest, in sleepy Somerset. Do they still have the sheep on the roundabout leading into the Showground at Shepton Mallet? They always gave me a chuckle. :D

So much for all being in this together.

Yes, I didn't buy into that notion either. There's always the few who insist on wrecking it for the majority. I'm a team player myself!

But the Lib/Dems are going to be extinguished in 2015.

Yes, again. No more than they deserve. The all things to all people was never going to fool anyone. Least of all me.

And the Tories will be out of power for years: for good if people had any sense.

Could well be. Do I detect the whiff of opportunity for UKIP? I hope so and let's face it, there's nobody else competent to do the job. Or, if referring to Labour, doing anything other than completing the destruction of Britain they so very nearly managed in their last term of office. Thankfully, I'm ever the optimist. :cool:

My apologies if I messed up the format. It happens!

John Little
08-Apr-13, 19:06
I do not fret.

Ever.

I observe a lot.
UKIP are a one trick pony who will go nowhere.

Most people in this country voted for social democracy last election. Labours crime was to refuse coalition with the Libs. Cleggs crime is to betray the people who voted for him.

That mistake will not be made next time. Milliband leaves a lot to be desired, but the next election will be a Labour landslide.

But I shall vote for them anyway because the actions of the two Scotsmen in charge when the crunch came saved Britain.

M Swanson
08-Apr-13, 19:17
But I shall vote for them anyway because the actions of the two Scotsmen in charge when the crunch came saved Britain.

LOL Blair & Brown? Are you serious? I cannot believe it!

Do we have a Henry Root in the house? :lol:

John Little
08-Apr-13, 19:19
Don't make a show

of what you do not know.

But since you do, I remind you it was two men called Brown and Darling

M Swanson
08-Apr-13, 19:23
I! Er! Uhm! Yes, right. :roll: Brown and Darling, huh? Get away Hal. :lol: