PDA

View Full Version : Shameful auction of Caithness Glass Museum

weeboyagee
12-Jan-07, 16:53
When the Glass Factory in Wick was closed the contents of the Museum at the Airport premises was secured after a bit of negotiation on behalf of the people of Wick from the receivers at the time. The museum in Perth, mainly paperweights, was retained by the new owners Edinburgh Crystal and was there for all to view.

You will know that Edinburgh Crystal met the same fate recently and the Caithness Glass Co. in Perth found a new home with it's major competitor Dartington.

How sad today that I find out that the nice Dartington people who "rescued" the operation in Perth recently did not buy the museum along with it. What have they decided to do????

The museum and all the history of Glass Making that wasn't at the Museum in Wick is being sold at auction here www.mellorsandkirk.co.uk

How utterly shameful that the persons involved in the takeover of the Caithness Glass operation knew what the museum meant and to my knowledge they were involved with the operation prior to it's demise and have by some divine (that's the only way I could think that it would happen) twist of fate landed up at the helm of the operation once again.

I could understand if the remaining company had lost all identity with the county and also if the company had been sold to new owners that had no idea of the meaning of Caithness Glass to this county but to have knowledge of the business, it's history and it's place within the hearts and minds of the people and the county of Caithness,.......what would it have been for them to give the history back to the county where it could have been kept intact with the Wick museum for all to enjoy in the future?

If the owners of Caithness Glass are reading this - SHAME ON YOU - you are an embarrassment to our county, what price was the museum to purchase from the receivers I wonder??? Edinburgh Crystal must have had SOME debt to pay off by the time this had to happen with the county's heritage.

WBG :mad:

hotrod4
12-Jan-07, 18:53
This is an absolute disgrace that this has been allowed to happen.
Where is our "local" MP John Thurso whos family were heavily involved in Caithness glass from the outset?. (oops i forgot MP's are always on holiday)This is nothing short of another "kick in the teeth" for the people of Caithness as we are rapidly going to lose our identity.BIG questions need to be answered on this issue.

First our fish and now our Glass whats next?????

North Rhins
12-Jan-07, 23:30
You would have thought that something that was so important to the ‘County’ as Caithness Glass would have been save for posterity and for the people. It’s a damned disgrace. I have a piece of glass that was given to me over forty years ago by one of the workers. If my memory serves me right, they had set up the factory in an old nissen hut at the side of Wick airfield. Back then, the colours of the glass had been designed to reflect the colours of Caithness. History and tradition are just dirty words these days, they're just things that get in the way of progress.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
12-Jan-07, 23:36
Maybe the folk who buy the Caithness Glass at the auction will kindly donate it to the Heritage Centre in Wick to keep it in the County.