PDA

View Full Version : Soya Milk

DarkAngel
12-Jan-07, 16:00
My son was on soya milk due to him having a milk and Dairy allergy..Now just seen this on the Internet a few weeks back.It something about it bein packed with Female hormones:-

If you’re a grownup, you’re already developed, and you’re able to fight off some of the damaging effects of soya. Babies aren’t so fortunate. Research is now showing that when you feed your baby soy formula, you’re giving him or her the equivalent of five birth control pills a day. A baby’s endocrine system just can’t cope with that kind of massive assault, so some damage is inevitable. At the extreme, the damage can be fatal.
Soy is feminizing, and commonly leads to a decrease in the size of the penis, sexual confusion and homosexuality. That’s why most of the medical (not socio-spiritual) blame for today’s rise in homosexuality must fall upon the rise in soy formula and other soya products. (Most babies are bottle-fed during some part of their infancy, and one-fourth of them are getting soya milk!)

Thankfull my son is now on new perscribed milk after i told the doctor bout this!!

Allsorts
12-Jan-07, 16:43
Where did you find this? Both my kids are on soya milk and have been from the moment they went onto solids due to severe milk allergie. so find it a bit worrying when I read that.
Allsorts

DarkAngel
12-Jan-07, 16:55
i got this information from the internet..if you type it in google or any search engine.

I asked my Dr About this and she refferd me to the Dietician who told me its damaging to kids under the age of 6 months but my son has been on it since he was 2 months and i told her i wanted him of it..she said there hasnt been enought research done yet about it but i took the perscribed Nutir-gram milk that ive been given as i dont want my son being damaged even f soya is perfectly safe in the testing! Sorry to worry you, Just wondered if people knew this.

Also soya milk is reccomended to drink for ladies that are goin throught the Menopause aswell!

nicnak
12-Jan-07, 17:22
Hi my daughter had a severe allergy to cows milk and we were told to put her on soya milk, we didnt infact we put her on Goats milk and it was the best thing we ever did. All the allergy symptoms cleared up and she thrived with no side effects and positively blossomed so if in any doubt seriously consider goats milk.

DarkAngel
12-Jan-07, 17:24
Yes another friend of mine also said try my son on goats milk as her daughters skin has totally cleared up and its the best thing she done was changing to goats milk!! Will see how things go with this new milk!

the nomad
12-Jan-07, 17:27
My son was on soya milk due to him having a milk and Dairy allergy..Now just seen this on the Internet a few weeks back.It something about it bein packed with Female hormones:-

If you’re a grownup, you’re already developed, and you’re able to fight off some of the damaging effects of soya. Babies aren’t so fortunate. Research is now showing that when you feed your baby soy formula, you’re giving him or her the equivalent of five birth control pills a day. A baby’s endocrine system just can’t cope with that kind of massive assault, so some damage is inevitable. At the extreme, the damage can be fatal.
Soy is feminizing, and commonly leads to a decrease in the size of the penis, sexual confusion and homosexuality. That’s why most of the medical (not socio-spiritual) blame for today’s rise in homosexuality must fall upon the rise in soy formula and other soya products. (Most babies are bottle-fed during some part of their infancy, and one-fourth of them are getting soya milk!)

Thankfull my son is now on new perscribed milk after i told the doctor bout this!!

Better no swear but what a load of old poop. I can just see it now the reason I'm gay is due to my Mother not feeding me correctly.

connieb19
12-Jan-07, 17:31
Better no swear but what a load of old poop. I can just see it now the reason I'm gay is due to my Mother not feeding me correctly.
I think its rubbish too but I can see why darkangel is concerned. BTW maybe your mother should have breast fed you. :eek:

Gleber2
12-Jan-07, 17:33
Soak oatmeal overnight, strain off the liquid, add a small quantity of liquidised brown rice, sweeten as desired, dilute and warm until it slightly thickens. This is, from my knowledge and experience, the best way to wean an infant who is unforunate enough not to be breast-fed. As far as I know, brown rice and oats contain almost everything required for a healthy diet. I would not allow my children to be given soya milk although I knew none of the facts(if indeed they are facts) pointed out by Dark Angel.

Colin Manson
12-Jan-07, 17:43
Also soya milk is reccomended to drink for ladies that are goin throught the Menopause aswell!

BBC stuff that doubts that suggestion

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1721472.stm

and an article about baby milk.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1998946.stm

badger
12-Jan-07, 18:04
I have cartons of organic soya milk and rice milk in the cupboard so just went to check them and neither carry warnings about babies, young children or anything else. Honey on the other hand, which I always thought a nice safe natural healthy food (although maybe not for very small babies) carries a warning that it is not suitable for children under 12 months. I was so surprised the first time I discovered this that, like everyone else, I went to the internet and emailed a honey organisation who took the trouble to send me a detailed reply as follows -

Honey is indeed a healthy food. The story of our gastrointestinal tract from birth onwards is not a pretty one. We do, rather obviously, come out of mummy's tummy with a sterile gut. That's why grandparents like me remember all those years of Milton and so on. I remember being thoroughly told off as a teenager for putting my finger in a baby's mouth. So the baby gradually gets to have bacteria in its gut as we wean it. Now the argument is quite tricky so I will explain it in some detail. You may remember many years ago deaths from canned salmon due to botulinum toxin. Now we take in botulinum spores in our food every day in salads and fruits and all sorts. But the botulinum bacteria never have a chance because they are overwhelmed by all the friendly bacteria we have from yoghurt, etc. etc. So ingesting botulinum spores is no danger whatsoever to a healthy weaned child or an adult. However, when they get into a tin of salmon through a pinhole, they proliferate wonderfully and produce lots and lots of the most poisonous substance so far discovered, botulinum toxin. So when someone eats the salmon, they die.If a baby is given something that contains botulinum spores before he has any other bacteria in his tummy, there are no other bacteria to overwhelm the botulinus bacteria so they grow. But they have not had the chance to get going really well, so they are producing only tiny bits of toxin and the baby is not killed but he/she is getting low doses of poison which causes muscle paralysis. So he/she gets what is known as 'floppy baby' syndrome and as long as it is correctly diagnosed, antibiotics cure the baby in no time.The honey industry had a problem because no case of floppy baby syndrome has been linked to honey in the UK but it can contain botulinum spores sometimes and there has been a link in California and after a lot of deliberation it was thought better to discourage the feeding of honey to babies under the age of 12 months, although the advice is really 'before weaning and they have a normal gut flora'. So please take the story as a whole, don't take a sentence out of context. Once the baby is weaned, it should be safe to feed honey if you wish, and if the baby seemed unable to move as normal, ask a doctor, whether or not you have fed honey. But I must stress there have been no cases in UK with a proven link to honey ( hardly any cases at all) and infant botulism is a very rare condition and not at all a likely risk to your baby.
Seems to me there is some inconsistency in labelling here. There is a remote chance of a problem with honey for babies due to a possible case once in the USA so it carries a warning. Soya and rice milk carry no warnings and they could easily be used as substitutes for dairy-intolerant children. I don't know whether the soya issue is correct or not - it could again be there has been an isolated case - but I am surprised there are no printed recommendations.

BTW, I don't have a baby - the nice honey man assumed this!

Geo
12-Jan-07, 18:42
There have been articles alleging adverse health issues related to Soya for years now. I'm not sure it's as cut and dry as it is definitely bad for you but after reading various articles I wouldn't go out of my way to eat/drink soya products. There are also concerns about the amount of land that is being used to produce it.

Health and environmental issues are discussed here:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/foodmonthly/story/0,,1342291,00.html

George Brims
12-Jan-07, 19:21
That wacko statement on the effects of soy come from a wacko televangelist called Jim Rutz.

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=53327

Not exactly a reliable scientific authority.

As far as the honey thing goes, isn't it nice to see a person representing an industry give a clear and honest explanation of an issue, instead of a blanket denial containing no actual facts, as is so often the case? BTW, just because your baby is now over 12 months stay away from honey a bit longer - it's very bad for their teeth. Other than vitamins and trace minerals, it is mostly just sugars and water, after all.

badger
12-Jan-07, 19:37
George, don't destroy all my beliefs in the wonders of honey:( . I'm sure it's no worse for children than all the other (far too many) sweet things they eat and it has to be more than sugar and water - sunshine, flowers, etc. It's good for you !!! I believe it so it's true. Why else do little bees grow up so healthy? Think of Winnie the Pooh - or maybe not, little brain and rather fat.

jinglejangle
12-Jan-07, 19:51
Soak oatmeal overnight, strain off the liquid, add a small quantity of liquidised brown rice, sweeten as desired, dilute and warm until it slightly thickens. This is, from my knowledge and experience, the best way to wean an infant who is unforunate enough not to be breast-fed. As far as I know, brown rice and oats contain almost everything required for a healthy diet. I would not allow my children to be given soya milk although I knew none of the facts(if indeed they are facts) pointed out by Dark Angel.

just out of interest is this a wind up or are you being serious???

jinglejangle
12-Jan-07, 19:56

forgot to mention if you have eczema oats is known to flare up occurrences so wouldn't recommend oats as a healthly part of your diet if you suffer from this skin condition.

canuck
12-Jan-07, 22:36

He's serious. I agree with him. Oats and brown rice are great foods, unless of course you are allergic to either one. Given that they contain protein they have the potential to be allergens.

mccaugm
12-Jan-07, 23:08

I was given "Wysoy" for my son 16 years ago, he is perfectly healthy, about 5 10 in height and his sexuality is definitely not in question. So I hope that helps.
The rise in homosexuality is not down to soya milk its down to the fact its no longer illegal and the stigma is not as strong.

jinglejangle
12-Jan-07, 23:48
He's serious. I agree with him. Oats and brown rice are great foods, unless of course you are allergic to either one. Given that they contain protein they have the potential to be allergens.

cheers canuck - wasn't sure as never heard of this before! i agree that oats and brown rice are great foods - both of which i eat regularly - however i just wanted to let people know that ezcema can be triggered by taking oats.

Gleber2
12-Jan-07, 23:51

No wind up. Consider oats as ying and brown rice as yang and the balance of the two can actually supply everything you need to survive in a healthy way. I brought up three bairns animal free and this drink was what they were weaned onto. Very healthy children!!

Fran
13-Jan-07, 01:23
Many years ago when my son was a baby he had to have Locasol milk, a powder mixed with water. It is suitable for the complete feeding of infants and can be used to replace cows and soya milk. It is very good for children and adults who are allergic to cows milk or soya milk.
This would be a good substitute for you to look into.
My son had Locasol because he had hypercalcemia, too much calcium in the blood, which was a rare condition at that time.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
13-Jan-07, 01:28
So the scientists say in their wisdom that soya milk would give ye a small penis.Now I wasnae breast fed,but when I sometimes look below I'm glad my mither gave me full fat milk!!!:lol: :lol:

George Brims
13-Jan-07, 01:41
Cedric, as I pointed out it's not the scientists, it's the religious lunatics!

Sig
13-Jan-07, 01:46
The soya bean well where does it come from ?.Brazil mainly the second biggest producer in the world.Brazil is cutting down the rain forrest to produce the soya bean as fast as it is to produce beef.So think again all you vegans.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
13-Jan-07, 01:48
Cedric, as I pointed out it's not the scientists, it's the religious lunatics!

Ah but science and religion which one is right?

DarkAngel
13-Jan-07, 04:53
Thanx for all you comments and posts was good to see such a varied reaction. My son is now on perscribed milk thats my own decision though!

I also thought this was all rubbish too, But after a few bits of information on the net i thought id ask about it!!

My son is in my best interests!!:)

Tristan
13-Jan-07, 05:34
Quote:
Now the argument is quite tricky so I will explain it in some detail. You may remember many years ago deaths from canned salmon due to botulinum toxin. Now we take in botulinum spores in our food every day in salads and fruits and all sorts. But the botulinum bacteria never have a chance because they are overwhelmed by all the friendly bacteria we have from yoghurt, etc. etc. So ingesting botulinum spores is no danger whatsoever to a healthy weaned child or an adult.

I would question this quote by Badger that we ingest botulinum spores everyday.

On the other hand I am not saying that everything natural is good or that everything human-made (PC police on my pc) is bad, but us human's tend to get it wrong more often than right.

badger
13-Jan-07, 11:29
Let's face it, if we believed everything we were told about food we would never eat (or drink) anything. I think the latest is no milk in tea, but - we need milk for calcium. It seems every pro for one person has a con for another. When my children were young they had two friends with very limited diets - one ate mostly crisps and the other spaghetti (both boys). They both grew up healthy, tall, strong and intelligent. So where does that leave us?

Gleber2
13-Jan-07, 13:03
. I think the latest is no milk in tea, but - we need milk for calcium.
We categorically do not need milk for calcium. We have far healthier sources.

badger
13-Jan-07, 19:14
Exactly - I was just quoting what they are saying. One lot of people saying don't put milk in tea, another lot saying we need the milk for calcium. Eat sensibly and take note of what your body tells you plus "a little of what you fancy" - ignore the rest.

Geo
13-Jan-07, 20:27
There have been health concerns raised regarding Tofu, a Soy product. As mentioned by Badger though if you believed everything you read about food you'd stop eating, (which on the plus side would help my waistline!) :)