PDA

View Full Version : Bring our troops home?

the nomad
12-Jan-07, 11:57
A new thread I know will get support.

I say bring our boys home and bring them home with respect, dignity, honour and pride.

A national holiday, as a minimum, with a huge parade plently of public paid ice cold beers for our tired soldiers they deserve it.

:)

Boozeburglar
12-Jan-07, 12:47
Replace them with a truly representative international effort.

No objections at all to that idea, and then the majority can come home.

National holiday?

No way. There is nothing to celebrate about this whole fiasco, for them coming home will be reward enough, and they will have their celebrations with their families and communities.

the nomad
12-Jan-07, 17:31
There is plently of reason to celebrate, they did their job and did it well.

If we take your stance then why have the Queens birthday, ban royal funerals etc.

I for one take great pride in our troops bloody difficult job with nobody really caring what happens to them and no I don't have anyone over there.

Stewart
12-Jan-07, 20:25
In an ideal word, it'd be the perfect idea. But we can't simply leave these countries in the state they're in.

northener
12-Jan-07, 20:54
I admire your ideals Nomad, but it aint gonna happen....

North Rhins
12-Jan-07, 21:55
Saddam Hussein did have weapons of mass destruction, he had used them during the Iran Iraq war and on his own people, that fact is undeniable. There was nothing to suggest that the remnants of these weapons had been disposed of after the first Gulf War. On this understanding I was fully supportive of the coalition invasion to oust Hussein and to track down and dispose of the WMD.
The initial reaction by the Iraqi people toward the troops was one of liberators, however it didn’t last long. It is sometimes difficult for us in the west to appreciate how people of different nationalities, religions, and political beliefs perceive us. We are now seen as invaders and as such no longer welcome.
It is a great pity that the Arab nations did not unite and take over the policing role in Iraq. I think that they would have had far more credibility than the coalition troops who are currently trying to carryout an impossible task.
There is no doubt in my mind that the initial invasion was ill conceived, I don’t think that Bush or Blair could have foreseen the animosity shown toward our troops. Although I suspect that had they listened to advisors with more experience of the Middle East then they might have thought twice about it.
Do we stay or do we go? We are damned if we do and we are damned if we don’t.
As for the WMD where did they go? Stuff like that doesn’t vanish into thin air, or does it?

fred
12-Jan-07, 22:31
Saddam Hussein did have weapons of mass destruction, he had used them during the Iran Iraq war and on his own people, that fact is undeniable. There was nothing to suggest that the remnants of these weapons had been disposed of after the first Gulf War. On this understanding I was fully supportive of the coalition invasion to oust Hussein and to track down and dispose of the WMD.
The initial reaction by the Iraqi people toward the troops was one of liberators, however it didn’t last long. It is sometimes difficult for us in the west to appreciate how people of different nationalities, religions, and political beliefs perceive us. We are now seen as invaders and as such no longer welcome.
It is a great pity that the Arab nations did not unite and take over the policing role in Iraq. I think that they would have had far more credibility than the coalition troops who are currently trying to carryout an impossible task.
There is no doubt in my mind that the initial invasion was ill conceived, I don’t think that Bush or Blair could have foreseen the animosity shown toward our troops. Although I suspect that had they listened to advisors with more experience of the Middle East then they might have thought twice about it.
Do we stay or do we go? We are damned if we do and we are damned if we don’t.
As for the WMD where did they go? Stuff like that doesn’t vanish into thin air, or does it?

I don't think this is just the right thread for this North Rhins but yes Saddam did have chemical weapons, we knew this because we supplied them to him.

The weapons were destroyed between GWI and GWII, we knew this too because the UN Weapons Inspectorate supervised it.

North Rhins
12-Jan-07, 22:48
I don't think this is just the right thread for this North Rhins but yes Saddam did have chemical weapons, we knew this because we supplied them to him.

The weapons were destroyed between GWI and GWII, we knew this too because the UN Weapons Inspectorate supervised it.

Thank you for pointing out my error in posting a reply. I shall endeavour in future to pay more attention and I shall strive to emulate your good self in submitting replies of the required standard and content.

fred
12-Jan-07, 23:36
Thank you for pointing out my error in posting a reply. I shall endeavour in future to pay more attention and I shall strive to emulate your good self in submitting replies of the required standard and content.

Nothing wrong with your post it was just in the wrong place, as was my reply.

Nomad's posts have been non partisan and I agree with everything he says.

sweetpea
13-Jan-07, 00:41
i don't think they should be there in the first place. I think it's worse in Iraq now than what it used to be. I don't care about Saddam.
This country is recruiting more now than it has done for along time (esp places like Wick where the economy and everything else has declined in recent years) and if you could see some of the boys going into the army it would make you cry. They haven't got a clue. I had a penpal in Kuwait until all this started and we have lost contact.
It will never stop now it's started, it' such a shame.

pat
13-Jan-07, 21:37
Wouldn't it be great if Blair & Co and their families over 18 were sent to fight instead of our troops - there would be very little war if they were made to be first in line at the start of any troubles our troops were being considered to be sent to fight.
Get our troops home.