View Full Version : Jailed for street assault

05-Apr-13, 13:01
A year long-sentence for accused who broke teenager's collar bone

A YOUNG man, who carried out a drink-fuelled attack on a teenager in a town centre, was jailed for a year at Wick Sheriff Court yesterday.
Adam Hope's 13-year-old victim sustained a broken collar bone after the accused lifted him and let him drop to the ground.
The incident occurred in Market Square, Wick on February 7. Hope and the teenager met, and words were exchanged but the content of who said what, was described as "a grey area".
David Barclay, prosecuting, said: "What happened next, was that Hope lifted the youth and dropped him, whereby he landed on the ground." The consequences were very much aided and abetted by the law of gravity but someone with the accused's record should have been very careful about laying hands on anyone."
The 13-year-old managed to pick himself up, and ran into an Italian restaurant, nearby. Hope went after him but not to pursue the assault, it was stressed.
Mr Barclay said: " It is clear that Hope very quickly realised that he had made a terrible mistake but was told by the restaurant proprietor to leave the premises."
Hope, 22, who lives in Dunbeath, was detained soon afterwards by police but such was the level of his intoxication could not be interviewed until later. His victim was treated in hospital and despite experiencing some day-day inconvenience, made a full recovery within two months. The accused appeared on indictment and pleaded guilty to the assault.
Solicitor Alex Burn also stressed that the injury had been disappropriate to the consequences.
He said that Hope and a friend had shared a litre bottle of vodka that day. In fact, drink, said Mr Burn had always played a part in his life which he described as "rather sad for someone of his tender years". The alcohol consumed that day was "well in excess" of any quantity any lad would have consumed."
Commenting on the accused's post-attack reaction, Mr Burn said: "It had sobering effect on him and he followed the accused with the intention of highlighting his inappropriate conduct to his victim and apologising for it."
Hope, who has a record for violence, had gone south to Turriff but homesickness had drawn him back to his native Dunbeath.
Sheriff Richard McFarlane commented on the "theme of violence" in Hope's record.
His last, similar offence had attracted the maximum number of hours for unpaid community service and a compensation order. The latest attack had been aggravated by the fact it had been carried out by someone considerably younger than the accused.
Taken with his record, there was no alternative to a prison sentence. The term was backdated to Hope's remand on February 8.