PDA

View Full Version : Horror festival and zombie run, June 21-23.

patrick_boo
05-Apr-13, 12:26
'A Midsummer Night's Scream' is a festival of horror and fantasy North Coast Leisure Centre is organising to take place in Thurso over the weekend of 21st to 23rd June. The centrepiece of this will be a 5k run around Thurso with a difference - participants will have to escape a host of flesh-eating zombies which will appear all over the route! It's going to be great fun, and all proceeds raised will go to set up a local charity youth project to give young people more opportunities. We will also be launching a horror short story contest.

We need the following -

Volunteers - to help us organise events, or on the day to be zombies! Eden Court will be holding a one-day zombie workshop in the run-up to the event to train people how to be a good zombie...

Ideas - We would like to collaborate with as many people and organisations as possible to make this a big event - if you have any ideas of an event to tie-in with the theme of the weekend please let us know. Also if you are a horror/ fantasy /sci-fi fiction or comicbook / graphic novel fan, any ideas of people you would want to see involved with the event?

Businesses - We need local businesses to partner with us to make this a success. We are looking for the following -

*A venue for a pasta buffet party to take place on 21st June, for runners to load up on carbs, dress up and have a dance.
*Prize donations - for both the zombie run and the short story contest. We anticipate a lot of publicity through the website and the press, so it would be good PR.
*Stalls for the day - food stalls for instance at the start or finish line.

You can message me for more details or go to our website - http://www.screamthurso.co.uk

Please like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to be kept up to date - https://www.facebook.com/screamthurso / https://twitter.com/ThursoZombies

Flynn
05-Apr-13, 12:27
Zombies don't run.

patrick_boo
05-Apr-13, 12:28
Then the runners will get a head start...!

Kodiak
05-Apr-13, 14:41
Zombies don't run.

Can Zombies Run?

Yeah it depends on the type of Zombie, there are three basic types,

1. Braindead Feeders- Only capable of trying to fulfill the most basic desire- TO FEED. Usually they are remarkably dull, and since low brainpower: slow moving.

2. The Possessed- These are the zombies who are just like normal people, but are being controlled by Voodoo Curses, Hypnotism, Alien Puppeteers, Microchips or the like (this type can run as fast as you or me as they are just normal people without self-control)

3. The Enhanced Human Zombie- In my opinion the scariest! These are zombies who have been modified by a Virus, Bacteria, or DNA alteration that leaves them unable to control themselves, usually compelled to kill other "unaltered" humans. These zombies can run, jump, and kill faster, harder, and more effectively than a normal human.

So Yes Zombies can Run and they Run Fast.

Flynn
05-Apr-13, 15:11
Can Zombies Run?

Yeah it depends on the type of Zombie, there are three basic types,

1. Braindead Feeders- Only capable of trying to fulfill the most basic desire- TO FEED. Usually they are remarkably dull, and since low brainpower: slow moving.

2. The Possessed- These are the zombies who are just like normal people, but are being controlled by Voodoo Curses, Hypnotism, Alien Puppeteers, Microchips or the like (this type can run as fast as you or me as they are just normal people without self-control)

3. The Enhanced Human Zombie- In my opinion the scariest! These are zombies who have been modified by a Virus, Bacteria, or DNA alteration that leaves them unable to control themselves, usually compelled to kill other "unaltered" humans. These zombies can run, jump, and kill faster, harder, and more effectively than a normal human.

So Yes Zombies can Run and they Run Fast.

2 and 3 are not zombies. Zombies are dead risen from the grave, or dead infected by bites from dead risen from the grave.

patrick_boo
05-Apr-13, 15:13
Thanks for the clarification Kodiak! Yes, I remember seeing '28 Days Later' and thinking, jeez, those zombies are fast!

We're also looking for any local artists, graphic novelists, cartoonists to help us with a storyboard. Anyone interested, please get in touch.

Flynn
05-Apr-13, 15:19
Thanks for the clarification Kodiak! Yes, I remember seeing '28 Days Later' and thinking, jeez, those zombies are fast!

We're also looking for any local artists, graphic novelists, cartoonists to help us with a storyboard. Anyone interested, please get in touch.

In 28 Days Later those were not zombies, because they were not dead. They were people suffering with the 'rage' virus.

Big Gaz
05-Apr-13, 15:26
there will be no shortage of takers for this from Thurso then :-)

patrick_boo
05-Apr-13, 15:30
Brilliant! An argument on zombie semantics! Only on caithness.org!
http://www.answers.com/topic/zombie

Flynn
05-Apr-13, 15:38
I read a lot of zombie fiction. One thing zombie fans are united on - zombies do not run.

Kodiak
05-Apr-13, 15:38
Is the zombie alive? Dead? Well, there’s a reason they created a word – undead – for it. It’s neither, really. Not technically alive, not technically dead, but in a third state. And again, since this state is largely imaginary, it’s impossible to definitively say what that means.

The Undead zombie is all about the corruption or loss of humanity. This is frequently represented by the horde in zombie movies: i.e. the loss of individuality, subsumed into a mindless, unthinking mass. In this light, the Rage zombies of 28 Days Later are just as easily seen as zombies, despite being technically alive. Certainly, they’ve lost their cognitive functions, their identities and their ability to exercise free will. They act only on the impulse to kill and to infect. The heart beats, but something vital — the spark of humanity itself, whether you call it a soul or a mind — is gone. How is that not a zombie?

Flynn
05-Apr-13, 15:43
Is the zombie alive? Dead? Well, there’s a reason they created a word – undead – for it. It’s neither, really. Not technically alive, not technically dead, but in a third state. And again, since this state is largely imaginary, it’s impossible to definitively say what that means.

The Undead zombie is all about the corruption or loss of humanity. This is frequently represented by the horde in zombie movies: i.e. the loss of individuality, subsumed into a mindless, unthinking mass. In this light, the Rage zombies of 28 Days Later are just as easily seen as zombies, despite being technically alive. Certainly, they’ve lost their cognitive functions, their identities and their ability to exercise free will. They act only on the impulse to kill and to infect. The heart beats, but something vital — the spark of humanity itself, whether you call it a soul or a mind — is gone. How is that not a zombie?

They are not zombies because they are not dead, they are people with a disease. It is as simple as that.

patrick_boo
05-Apr-13, 15:51
Just bringing it back to the event... to clarify, it's the runners we expect to do the running, the participants who will have to navigate the course littered with zombie-like creatures of undetermined origin! And we still need help!

ducati
05-Apr-13, 15:59
Keep on keepin' on Patrick, the .org is frequently infected with brain dead.......:lol:

Sounds like a great event, can't wait.

Tilly Teckel
05-Apr-13, 18:34
I'm gonna be a zombie! I was born to do this [evil]

billmoseley
05-Apr-13, 18:50
is it April the 1st again someone really arguing about whether zombies can run. come it's fiction and a bit of fun

patrick_boo
11-Apr-13, 17:25
I've had some good feedback from people but here's a reminder - hoping to launch the website next week with a full programme, so if you are a business wanting to be a part of this please get in touch asap. If you want to volunteer to help with organising or want to be a runner or a zombie, please message me.

Tilly Teckel
11-Apr-13, 18:50
Hey, just a thought... why don't you reroute the run to Portgower? Really spice things up! [lol]

patrick_boo
12-Apr-13, 10:41
Tilly, you're not the first to suggest this!

Kodiak
12-Apr-13, 11:16
Hey, just a thought... why don't you reroute the run to Portgower? Really spice things up! [lol]

Not a great idea as the residents would be sleeping! :Razz

gaza
15-Apr-13, 19:09
there will be no shortage of takers for this from Thurso then :-)

Hoy ! ZZZZZZZZzzzzzommmm

gaza
15-Apr-13, 19:17
They are not zombies because they are not dead, they are people with a disease. It is as simple as that.

I think we've all got a disease .... Caithness.org ...forum disease

KEEP IT UP :D

Jockaholic
16-Apr-13, 11:31
another sassanach belittling people trying to do some good around the county
tosser

patrick_boo
16-Apr-13, 15:45
Things are shaping up well, we're almost ready to launch the full website. Any businesses interested in helping out with sponorship of events and/or prizes or wanting to put on a themed event as part of the weekend should get in touch as we are having a meeting on Thursday afternoon.