PDA

View Full Version : Lord Thurso

Birons
04-Apr-13, 17:19
I'm not sure how many read what Lord Thurso had to say in the Caithness Courier this week about how Wick shops needs some fresh ideas to revive Wick town centre, he has not been in my shop in the two years that we have been open.

How is it possible to make such an informed statement about what is needed in Wick without visiting the shops is beyond me.

www.birons.co.uk (http://www.birons.co.uk)

Kodiak
04-Apr-13, 18:06
Come to think of it, I have never been in your shop either. Yet I would say that John Thurso MP, (please note he is no longer Lord Thurso), is perfectly correct in what he says.

You do not need to go in every shop in Wick to understand what problems ails the Town Centre.

Alice in Blunderland
04-Apr-13, 18:21
I thought John Thurso was a Lord :confused When did he loose his title ?

starfish
04-Apr-13, 18:22
if i had the money i think a good baby equipment shop would pay in wick when we were looking for stuff we only really had the chemist a thurso so we used the internet but if it stock new and second hand good quality stuff i think it would work

Kodiak
04-Apr-13, 18:34
I thought John Thurso was a Lord :confused When did he loose his title ?

He gave up his Title so he could stand as an MP.

Alice in Blunderland
04-Apr-13, 18:54
He gave up his Title so he could stand as an MP.

Oh I always thought he just gave up his right to sit in the House of Lords as a hereditary peer so that he could stand as an MP as you couldn't do both. I thought Lords could stand as a candidate for parliament :confused

embow
04-Apr-13, 19:01
He is still a Lord. See bit under Political career.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Thurso

gleeber
04-Apr-13, 19:10
He would have been better off if he just called himself John Sinclair. He has a good prescence when he opens galas but I dont think he should kiss any babies.
A few weeks ago he was involved in a debate in the Commons and he was referred to as the noble gentleman. George Galloway didnt like it and put in a complaint to the speaker but he deflected it. Its not proper to call a fellow MP anything but the honourable gentleman.
I think Birons stands out on Bridge Street. It gives the whole street a feeling of life. Maybe you should invite him along to the shop explore the possibilities.

Big Gaz
04-Apr-13, 19:10
there's plenty fresh ideas but no-one is willing to take on long leases or pay the exorbitant rents that a few of the landlords agents in Wick are asking for. Couple that with no relief or backup from Highland council and you have your answer. Also in the Courier theres the post about the Highland council trying to force owners of run down buildings in Wick (and other areas) to do repairs and bring them up to standard but thats a waste of council resources when you look how long it took and the cost involved trying to sort the one out on the corner at the Square in Thurso. They may be listed but either let the council take them over or demolish them, either way is better than seeing many of the eyesores we have in Wick

gerry4
04-Apr-13, 19:12
When a number of lords were kicked out with the last reform, he was one of them. He did not give up his title and those 'Lords' were entitled to stand as MP.

I do think that he should support local shops. As he lives over in Thurso maybe he goes to them. Bridge street does look drab, not sure who is responsible for care of the outside of some of the shops, the upper parts. is it the landlords or shop owners but tarting them up would help. Maybe the council should offer help?

Alice in Blunderland
04-Apr-13, 20:57
Was this not what the local some say successful some say poorly attended charrettes were supposed to be about ? Ideas and visions for the future of the town and the town centre......one of the main problems with the outcome was that the actual centre of the town and the present shops and buildings were kind of missed in the big plan :confused

http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/2ED23BF7-AFF6-44AE-867D-13785D250E77/0/WICKbroadsheetLores.pdf

Dog-eared
04-Apr-13, 22:00
His dad used to call himself " Thurso " ,as in a name.
Jock Sinclair could not be a lord as well as an MP so lost the "Lord " title and renamed himself by deed poll to " Thurso " , thereby keeping the aura of Lord without the title.
He was also on the Scottish Landlord's Committee, looking after tenant's rights , when his tenants at Thurso East were freezing with leaky windows, no insulation and having to put pallets down as a track to get over the sewage overflows when it rained. I have photographs of this.
He also commented locally that he thought the bedroom tax was bad for his constituents but did not vote either way in Westminster.

This is just for the record. I'm impartial, of course .

As they have been saying in Thurso for for many decades " The only difference between a Sinclair and a Tinkler is a bar of soap. "

dunbrake
04-Apr-13, 22:39
if i had the money i think a good baby equipment shop would pay in wick when we were looking for stuff we only really had the chemist a thurso so we used the internet but if it stock new and second hand good quality stuff i think it would work

Starfish, Diva's & Dudes Baby Shop in Wick sells baby equipment ie Prams, Cots, Baths, blankets and smaller pieces of equipment, granted she hasn't got a large stock but will order in anything you require.

Of course just like Birons you get a personal service and human contact just what John Thurso stated in his Courier article.

Birons
05-Apr-13, 16:27
I think Birons stands out on Bridge Street. It gives the whole street a feeling of life. Maybe you should invite him along to the shop explore the possibilities.

Thank you for the compliment, gleeber. Next week will be the start of year three for us and we never had an official opening two years ago. Perhaps he might do the honours for us.:Razz

www.birons.co.uk

veekay
05-Apr-13, 18:14
I have to say that I just love Birons, it has an old fashioned smell about it and sells stuff found nowhere else. Love the personal, knowledgeable service too.

secrets in symmetry
05-Apr-13, 21:35
John S is no a bad loon. Birons, you should invite him to do an official opening. :cool:

Humerous Vegetable
06-Apr-13, 16:51
He is still a Lord. See bit under Political career.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Thurso

I expect he is keeping his options open for when people stop voting for him. Lib-Dems have lost all credibility among those of us who can see another future for Scotland. Thank God the SNP are totally opposed to a House of Lords and have refused to elect any members to it. These useless people cost the taxpayer millions of pounds a year, for no benefit at all. Think how much the taxpayer will save without having to pay the salary, expenses, foreign trips and pensions of MPs and members of the House of Lords.

golach
06-Apr-13, 22:15
I expect he is keeping his options open for when people stop voting for him. Lib-Dems have lost all credibility among those of us who can see another future for Scotland. Thank God the SNP are totally opposed to a House of Lords and have refused to elect any members to it. These useless people cost the taxpayer millions of pounds a year, for no benefit at all. Think how much the taxpayer will save without having to pay the salary, expenses, foreign trips and pensions of MPs and members of the House of Lords.

How much is Eck the omnipitant costing us, he is jaunting about in the USA at the moment in his Rupert Bear outfit.whats that costing us???

Humerous Vegetable
09-Apr-13, 16:05
I expect it's delivering us new jobs, new commercial opprtunities and an improved market for Scotland. Maybe a few more tourists for you to drag round Holyrood. http://www.tartanweek.com/scotland-first-minister-alex-salmond/

Alice in Blunderland
09-Apr-13, 17:10
I expect it's delivering us new jobs, new commercial opprtunities and an improved market for Scotland. Maybe a few more tourists for you to drag round Holyrood. http://www.tartanweek.com/scotland-first-minister-alex-salmond/

I clicked on the link to get the message

Nothing Found for Scotland hmmmm is that a sign or a message from a higher realm :lol: